passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

51APCLPb18L._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So, volume 3 to Diamond is Unbreakable. It is funny, not being really "into" music, up until this point (and in no small part down to the alterations, due to licensing issues) I really didn't notice the naming convention was so widespread. For example, I had no idea the villain of previous chapters - DIO - was named after a band. This volume really hammered it home in a way that makes it seem like really naff puns. Pole Jam, Achtung Baby, Chilli Pepper... Sigh

I don't know why they are so more apparent in this particular book, nor why they are grating on me a little. But for the most part this volume was three separate and seemingly unconnected stories added to the overarching narrative. The stories containing the aforementioned Pole Jam and Achtung Baby, reek of Filler. The overall threat initially introduced in this part is seemingly dealt with in these chapters also. So I don't really know where this is even going at this point? I could look it up but, for now, I'll wait for Something interesting to happen. Hopefully Not Dio, again. 6.5/10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not gonna lie (and I know my opinion is wrong here, but still), I wasn't that big a fan of DBZ until it started getting ridiculous. There's some cool stuff in the Saiyan Saga, but that and the Garlick Jr stuff never really entertained me. Frieza was cool, but it was when Trunks came into it that I was sold.

Androids, Cell, EVERYTHING with Buu (the Buu stuff is why I know I'm wrong, given how much filler was there) - all day long. When it's a little more grounded (as grounded as a series can be when it includes monkey-tailed aliens invading Earth) I just wasn't that into it. I'd love to go back and watch from the start again though.

In to episode 6 or something of DBZ and it’s finally getting good. I can’t tell if all the stuff to do with Raditz is lame or just well known that it was boring to sit through. But now Goku is dead and doing all the Snakeway stuff and Gohan is training with Picollo and it’s really fun.

I love kid Gohan he is my second favourite character so far. 

EDIT: Also thank god for skip buttons because the intro and outdo theme for Season 1 is terrible

Yeah, that one is awesome but I chose to watch it with it’s original US broadcast everything because I just wanted to see how it was originally presented (Or as much as could be done on Blu Ray) and the US theme song is terrible. But I still want to see it all at it’s most “original”. 

It doesn't get more original than the Japanese version though.

I watched it in German back in the day and I always appreciated how closely they stuck to the Japanese intro. They even went as far as redoing the entire song with German lyrics which I think is pretty cool:

Yep, none of those ring a bell. Although I have heard 'chala head chala', but only via the TeamFourStar DBZ abridged series on YouTube.

This is the DBZ theme I always recall, for Season one at least.

7 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

It doesn't get more original than the Japanese version though.

Obviously. In the menu there’s an option for US dub but Japanese music which I want to try out at some point. But for whatever reason I just wanted to watch it as most Western/English speaking countries did. 

If/when I watch it a second time I’ll watch it with subs instead.

I don’t know why but when it comes to DBS I can only watch it in Japanese and the dub makes me cringe. The dub is so awful. But with DB or DBZ I prefer it dubbed. Maybe it has to do with what your exposed to first and are most familiar with. Or maybe DBS dub just sucks.

The dubbing for DBZ can feel a little stilted and written awkwardly sometimes, but I think that’s more due to an age thing than anything else. The dub for Super on the other hand I find very painful. Not only does it come across as over written and silly, but even the voice performances I think are even more cartoon-y and over the top. Maybe the Japanese version of it is too but ignorance is bliss in this instance. 

Exhibit A - the good one

Exhibit B - the bad one

No Longer Human

This was grim.

To start with, if not in the know, this latest book by Junji Ito isn't a new story and/or anthology piece by him. Much like Frankenstein, it is in fact a manga adaptation of an original novel. The book itself believed to be semi to fully autobiographical story of the author. This is probably one of the most disturbing pieces Ito has done to date, more so because of the reality of it. This is no fantastical tale of horror, but a recounting of the life of a damaged and broken man and the web of misery that enshrouded his life.

A checklist of the themes depicted in this book:

Paedophilia

Incest

Rape

Suicide

Infanticide

Fratricide 

Substance Abuse

Domestic/Child Abuse

Adultery

Those are the main beats and from reading this, if all this is true, it is no wonder the author took his own life (not a spoiler, oddly enough).  I've mostly got a heart of darkness with such things and am rarely "moved" by fiction. That said, although I do recommend this book if you have the stomach for such themes, as the art is typically sublime from Ito, I doubt I will ever read this again. 9/10

I've started watching Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit yesterday. Very well drawn and animated so far but the script and storytelling is a bit hit & miss. I like the protagonist and her no-nonsense approach but some of the spiritual stuff feels a bit tacked on. Maybe I'll warm to it with the coming episodes. Definitely better than your average run-of-the-mill shounen anime though.