passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

I`ve said it before in this thread... Especially the folk that are disappointed with S2 of OPM. Name me a better anime than Mob Psycho 100? (By the same guy)... I'll wait... 

Does anyone else get annoyed at Saitama’s “Consecutive normal punches”? Like, yes they are all individual one punches, but if you need more than one of them to beat someone then it kind of goes against the whole one punch thing

I started watching NGE a couple of days ago. Even though I didn’t know a single thing about it I was really excited for it since it was announced it was coming to Netflix like a year ago or something. And in the beginning I really, really loved it. So much about the show really fits what I like. I love the art and designs, I love the story, I really like the characters (fun theme song and title intro goes along way, too) But now I’m at episode 10 or 11 and it’s starting too become really repetitive. 

I just really, really dislike procedural TV shows or monster of the week shows. Which in and of itself sounds like a label but nearly every episode has been that so far. It means there’s only a couple of key scenes or lines of dialogue in each episode that feels important or pushes the bigger mystery and main story along and the rest of it is 15 minutes of filler. 

There is a lot to like about it, though. The teenage boy’s fantasy part is really fun. He’s saving the world in a giant, killer robot and is surrounded by hot women all the time who clearly like him and do all the legwork to be around him while giving him the cold shoulder, and he also gets to be centre of attention at school while getting to act like it’s all a burden. These parts are really fun. It’s teenage wish fulfilment to the extreme and I’m not really sure if the show is embracing it or think’s it’s being cool. The show is too old for me to be able to tell if it’s ironic or not. I think some parts are with all the ‘sexual tension’, if you can call it that. But then the main character is sometimes very serious and somber and then I’m not sure it knows. Regardless, I always like this stuff, and it’s no different here.

And even above that I’m really locked in to what the Eva’s are, what this Adam thing is, why unit 01 protected Shinji in ep 1 without being turned on. Lots of mystery, intrigue, cool sci-fi and overall sense of style and attitude. 

I’m not sure if the show is being philosophical about humanity or human nature. All those themes and concepts are obviously baked in to the show’s ideas but it’s more like the program has tee’d it all up and is now looking at the ball from every angle before taking a swing at it. It’s part of what is annoying me about the repetitive nature. It’s like just say what you have to say and let’s deep dive in to the fiction already. 

I don’t know. I really, really like this but I just wish it would get on with it. 

As far as Mech shows go, I adored Gundam Wing when it aired on Cartoon Network in the 90's. Although, whether snobbery or not, I am told it is one of the "lesser" Gundam series. The serialised narrative was so engaging. One of the things I cite that Manga and Anime often do better than most American Comics and cartoons is keep the story moving forward (For the most part). For Example, Goku began as a child in Dragonball, and is now a 40y/o Grandfather in Dragonball Super.

I also fondly remember a pretty generic (in hindsight) Mech based Movie called Detonator Orgun. Typically I like my robots to follow a certain aesthetic, akin to Giant Robo or Tetsujin and as such, steered clear of NGE for a long time. 

Yikes. So I ended up binge watching this all day which is definitely not the way to do it. I don’t have an overall opinion yet. Parts of it I really like, parts of it I really didn’t. And there was no large block of one or the other but after about the halfway mark it just kept swerving in and out of each lane all the time. 

Binge watching is a a bad idea, I think, because of the last few episodes being really trippy and ridiculous and going in to them already being exhausted made them hard to get through. I didn’t hate them but it’s just like, man, I really need to concentrate and I’m not sure how much I have left. 

This might change but initially I’m really unsatisfied by the story telling. After all the reveals are made in the final 6 or 7 episodes or however long it was I didn’t think I was understanding it because I felt like there had to be more to it. But after finishing it all I looked up the plot on Wikipedia and no it is exactly what I thought it was. I didn’t miss anything. Maybe just another negative to binge watching that the hits just didn’t land that hard. 

But also it’s possible a lot if is just badly done. I mean a lot of the big things they talk about at the end of the show the characters literally just talk about and don’t show you what those things actually are. Like a lot of this show literally happens off screen, and I don’t know how much I like that. 

I’m all for character drama but I will say just e-fucking-nough with the constant mindscape exploration and repeated scenes and repeated dialogue and people screaming just Jesus Christ. This was the stuff that really started to grate for me. Especially when it’s about characters I really didn’t care about.

Also a lot of the last few mech fights all end this way. It’s not really the same but it’s similar to when they did the new version of the Guyver in 2005 where in the beginning everyone is like “OMG these Guyver things are dangerous!” and then about 2/3rds of the way through the Guyver’s literally lose every fight and constantly run away and it’s like “Why do the bad guys even care about the Guyver suits?” The way this show goes is not as bad as that, but it is similar because the Eva’s just get their ass kicked all the time by the end, but then the show stops giving a fuck about mechs and fights anyway and becomes all about depression lol. 

Not to get personal but last last year I had a lot of time off work due to depression and stuff and the final two episodes where it’s all just ridiculous. Like, I really related to a lot of that and the questions some of the characters ask themselves and stuff. Mine didn’t quite end in the revelation that the main character has here but I really was like, oh, I get all of this and there’s some level of catharsis to having a character scream for you. But also I would really have liked to seen how the story ended and can’t help but think there’s a time and a place for this? I don’t know who made NGE or who gave them the budget, but the director was clearly using this as a vehicle to get a lot of stuff off his chest, literally to the point where everything up to here just doesn’t matter anymore, and I almost wonder what studio who paid for it wasn’t like “Uh, where’s the rest of my TV show, dude?” 

I don’t know. On some level I took in too much too fast and keep thinking about it and trying to let it sink in. But on the other hand I can’t find anymore to really consider, I think I got it all. Which is why I’m just kind of unsatisfied by it. 

Spoiler

Just spoiler the very end but, my interpretation is that Shinji actually embraced the human instrument experiment or whatever in the end. When being able to accept not everyone hates him and resolved his own issues then he accepted everyone else and joined with them. Which I guess technically is a happy ending, but also is like a false paradise ending where really they all lost. It seems like one of those really obnoxious endings where the writer chooses to end on a dark note because fuck the audience. 

Also I guess I didn’t really understand the Angels very well? I mean I get that man came from them or whatever and they wanted Adam back. But I don’t really know why other that “It will end humanity” but also we’re they being controlled by the organisation Seele or whatever or was it just the last one? Also if the bad organisation could of just activated their instrument machine at any time why didn’t they? 

I think you pretty much got it. But you also should watch End of Evangelion. Not right now or anything but it's a super critical piece of the series and not a spinoff or anything like that.

They ran out of budget towards the end which is why the last two episodes look like that and why EoE is a thing. It's like the more concrete companion to the final two episodes. It's like the tv series final is 60% of it and the movie is 60% and they overlap a bit, it's sort of weird but that's how it is

Do you still think it's a teenage wish fulfillment fantasy? ?

Actually absolutely 

EDIT: Actually most of it, I think the final few episodes abandons everything the show was in pursuit of something else but up until a point, sure

I don't agree. The lore stuff with EVA has always mostly been superficial plot decoration to examine the messes that are the main characters. It's more that later Eva ends up doing that in a very unrestrained way (which again is largely cause the money went bye bye). It didn't change direction, just steered into it way harder. It's about a lost fucked up little boy trying to self actualize

I'll need to actually rewatch it cause I can't remember everything. But generally speaking the stuff with SEELE and Instrumentality is less important. Tho it is explained better in EoE how all that stuff goes.

One of the reasons I like NGE so much I think is it reminds me of Twin Peaks. TP is also way more about the characters than the weird mystical lore, which is part of why I hated the new season if it cause it went way more into the boring lore.

Eva has it's own version of this with the Rebuild film series, which started in 2007 and ends next year and is a new continuity with the same characters. But it's way more just a generic mech anime with big fight scenes. I think probably cause the conditions that made Eva possible to begin with (Anno's depression) aren't really reproducible.

I mean, again it’s about a teenage boy who lives with a hot woman, who is surrounded by hot girls, is a reluctant superhero, has the most powerful mech and is innately talented, constantly finds girls in states of undress or showing themselves and it ends with 

Spoiler

Everyone clapping for him

Even the theme song has a lyric in it of “Be a legend, young boy” Like it’s juvenile teenage boy fantasy as fuck. Which is not a complaint but it is that. 

The guy is one costume and a code name away from being part of the X-Men

Also it’s understanding of women is...outdated, let’s say lol

And I agree with what it ends like was always there, it just abandons everything else to be solely that 

Yeah, it has all the pandering fan service stuff. I wont try and excuse that. But I think it's a weird take to see it as some sort of power trip really.

Spoiler

Like it's about some asshole Dad forcing his son back into his Mothers womb (but in the form of a sort of feral organic robot thing) and using him to try to bring about the apocalypse.

Its not very heroic.

I didn’t say power trip, I said wish fulfilment. He’s the centre of the world, everyone loves him even when they try not to, everyone has a bad time when he’s not there, in the end every one’s world is only complete once he is happy. These are all totally things depressed and suicidal people think of or want. 

But it’s also wrapped up in sex, fights, blood and death which is the juvenile part

Dan Ryckert is watching NGE for the first time and doing a podcast on it

For a more "woke" take, Waypoint are about halfway through on their podcast series. Which I've been listening to ahead of watching the Netflix series.

Also here is democratic presidential hopeful Marianne Williamson posting Asuka memes for some reason cause that's how it be now

"Willing to join each other at deeper levels", echoes of Human Instrumentality ?

What I don’t get about OPM is when Boros kicks in him to the moon off the deck of the ship he then jumps back from the moon to earth and lands directly on the ship. So is being a master of orbital trajectory or just too powerful for that stuff too matter?