passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

2 hours ago, Maf said:

I’ve been trying to think what Ultraman reminds me of and then it hit me 

vr-troopers-essential-episodes.jpg?itok=

completely unrelated but nice one for posting this. when i was a kid (~30 years ago) we had a guy from japan stay with us from my dad's work, he gave me a toy robot thing with flashing lights and stuff, i never knew what it was from...untill now! it looks like the one on the left, maybe a diferent colour. i might even still have it somewhere.

edit - actually i looked into it, it's not a vr trooper it's Kyojuu Tokusou Juspion  -but looking at the wiki they are sort of related, which makes sense as it does look very similar style, but silver. And the lights/sound still work.

more edits - apparently there's a movie of this next year, because it's popular in brazil or something, how odd.

image.jpg

Finished Revisions. Meh it was ok. Familiar story of kid in a mech suit fights wierd monster thingies. Except the kids are annoying and story drags a bit. There is a doggo thing that I think is meant to be sort of a distinguished gentlemen rif, that's kinda funny. Hearing Japanese say 'shhhhhit!' never gets old ?

Started Seven Deadly Sins last night. ? Oh my word I don't think I can remember a pervy a character as the one in this. 

Think I'll continue ?

So let's talk Junji Ito, perhaps my second favourite [consistent] Manga author after Kentaro Miura. I think, at time of writing, I have every English translated collected volume of his work to date. Smashed being the latest one. I did start to think may be he had peaked, in light of the two most recent books I'd read: Frankenstein and Fragments of Horror. The latter was pretty unremarkable from beginning to end. The former, while a visually interesting adaptation of the classic story, didn't really have that much going for it horror-wise.

Smashed however, is a return to form. Although there isn't technically a serialised narrative piece within this volume, along the lines of his first three books (Tomie, Uzumaki and Gyo) to me, this book is better than Gyo, and its robot fish, by quite a margin. The titular story is a really unique one shot that, although an interesting premise, really becomes an 'Ito story' with the reveal towards the end. You might even recognise where my avatar came from within this book too. Highly Recommended. 9/10

jj.jpg

32 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

Seven Deadly Sins is super popular in Japan, my students are always talking about it.

Is that because it’s got anime girls in it again, tho