passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really want a new Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! game just so I can play the Dragon Ball Super theme. It's been stuck in my head for days, both the awesome intro version and the instrumentals they do when something epic happens.

Devil Man Crybaby

I'm not the biggest anime guy so I'm late to the party with this, but I was watching a dude on YouTube talk about this earlier and when he mentioned it was a remake of Devilman I jumped straight to it. I loved Devilman when I was a kid and had no idea this was a remake, I always thought it was a sequel or spin off or something.

Anyway, it's great. 

Fantastic animation, great music, gratuity in spades. I'm having a great time with it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I assume this is a Manga Thread too, so I'll just jump right into what I'm currently reading.

s-l1000.jpg

So realising my other JoJo reviews are lost to the Dead GTM, I'll sum up quickly to where I am. I started reading through JoJo when the HC collection released a couple years ago. To date it has broken down as follows:

Part 1: Phantom Blood - 3 volumes

Part 2: Battle Tendency - 4 volumes

Part 3: Stardust Crusaders - 10 volumes

Now a long standing complaint I've had with Part 3 is that it has been dragged out way too long. Half of these books reek of Filler. As such the last few volumes really dragged. Also unlike Part 2 (my current favourite) the main cast of the story has often bored me to tears, with how generic they are. To the extent I tend to forget half of their names and certain characters (Read: Iggy) I didn't even see the purpose they served within the book. Plus not only did you have the main Macguffin of Part 1 & 2 completely replaced for reasons. The new "power-up", Stands, even have their own rules rewritten by the mid-point. Negating their initial concept and limitations.

Anyway Volume 10 is the finale, the battle against DIO himself (his name became capitalised since his initial appearance in Part 1 for some purpose, I imagine??) and the pacing was such a step up from the last three volumes I'd assume this was written prior. Around the time the initial concept of Stands was established. Well thought out and choreographed. The last few "surprise" deaths with characters I had zero investment in and a one page resolution so bewildering and certainly rushed, I simply called BS on it and finished this book and this part. I'm told a new plot and fresh direction will follow with Part 4, I look forward to that. Meanwhile I can't see how this has the "fan favourite" status it does. 6/10

As for Part Three overall, some interesting ideas and concepts with an awful lot of shite added to the mix, alongside shallow and superficial characterisation: 4/10

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a pre-order dispatch notice. JoJo Vol. 4: Diamond is Unbreakable - Part 1, is on its way. Hoping it is at least a step up from Vol. 3 and more on par with 2.

@Maf it would seem OPM S2 is on Crunchyroll ? not been on yet but checked the app and it is there. 

4 hours ago, Blakey said:

Been watching a bit of Devilman Crybaby with the Missus, up to about Ep. 4 and really enjoying it so far.

It is absolutely mental, but I love the weirdness and wackiness of it.

Yeah it is. Wait till you get later In ? I preferred the older two part movie that I saw when I was younger. DevilMan appeared more vicious in that I think.

I just didn’t like the character designs. They were really grotesque and ugly. 

There’s DBS manga on YT. The guys are fighting a new bad guy called Moro who is some kind of wizard or something. It’s not very good but maybe the anime version will be better

There’s also that Dragon Ball Super Heroes which is like official fan fiction. It is watchable but a bit naff

So as stated, I am seventeen HC volumes into JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and now I'm pissed. The books had a matching aesthetic to the covers, with colour variation. 

Phantom Blood - Green

Battle Tendency - Red

Stardust Crusaders - Blue

Vol 4. Part 1 arrived today and THEY HAVE CHANGED THE DAMN COVER DESIGN? Font, layout, everything! FFS?

jojo.jpg