passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

Ponyo or Spirited Away are a lot weirder with their storylines than Howls Moving Castle. Personally I didn't like Akira either. That and my dislike of Ninja Scroll get some strange reactions from people usually.

I'm not slagging off Ghibli or the film, just that I was surprised how nuts the story was. I liked it but found it confusing.

Loved the voice cast though - Billy Crystal as the fire spirit and Howl was played by motherfuckin Batman.

I was lent it by a friend who told me it came from a Welsh story - the original name was Hywel and we have a mutual friend called that.

I've watched Howell's a few times and I think it's only the whole war stuff that's confusing, but it's only because the briefly skim over it. But then the focus of the film isn't really about that stuff.

I haven't watched any Anime in ages... I saw Red Line on Netflix. It was alright. Pretty typical. Not much else to say about it than that.

Well, I'm a fucking whitey, what do I know about Anime? Very little, that's what.

Back on Ghibli though, I saw Whisper of the Heart for the first time when they were showing them on E4 quite recently and it's made its way up the list as one of my favorites. I had a Wibbly bottom lip watching that one.

Same, saw it for the first time earlier this year and it's gorgeous.

I would rank the Ghiblis as:

Masterpieces: My Neighbour Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke

Excellent: Laputa, Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Whisper of the Heart, Spirited Away

Still pretty great: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, Ponyo

Those are all the ones i've seen. I could just as easily put Only Yesterday and Porco Rosso in the top group...

I watched Paprika recently which was the first anime i've seen in a while, really good.

I'm not slagging off Ghibli or the film, just that I was surprised how nuts the story was. I liked it but found it confusing.

I was lent it by a friend who told me it came from a Welsh story - the original name was Hywel and we have a mutual friend called that.

You come in the anime thread, and you slag off Ghibli. Your story about funny names doesnt make it alright either.

My favourite Ghibli (in your face Hendo) is probably Pom Poko, loved the story and theme.

Arrietty is a lovely Ghibli film. It's a take on The Borrowers. Just make sure you watch the British dub, not American. Looks stunning on Blu-ray.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KzBBIBSi2Vo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grave of the Fireflies is essential viewing. Depressing as anything, though.

• 4 months later...

the director, Kise Kazuchika, was animation director on Patlabor, Blood The Last Vampire, and Evangelion: 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone. He's also worked on the 3 Ghost in the Shell films. Not a bad CV, although he doesn't appear to have actually directed anything, although an animation director on an anime might be pretty much the same thing for all I know

I've actually been rewatching Stand Alone Complex the past week or so, some of it's aged a bit. Not the story so much, the Laughing Man stuff is still just about as good as anything I've ever seen, but the sexualisation of the Major is more cringy than I remember it being. The 2nd gig is still a bit weird, it's front loaded so the first few episodes are all complex Individual 11 stuff, then the middle episodes are just random stories, decent enough, then it's solid 'complex' again

The outro music to the 2nd gig is still great too

I really enjoyed Afro Samurai and its sequel, assuming it still only has the one. The story for the second one went a bit mental but they are still both very stylish, if not especially complex anime.

As I mentioned in the completed games thread, I recently downloaded the Crunchyroll app on the Xbox and I have been animeing it up. It has been ages since I have given any serious time to anime and it is really nice to have such a huge variety to pick from. The missus and I have been watching a show called Demon King Daimao which is one of the filthiest, sleaziest shows I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

The story goes that some chap 1000 years in the future when everyone is using magic wants to become a high priest so he can do good things for the world, but then at his school aptitude test he is told he is actually.... A DEMON LORD!!! Oh no! So then he tries to prove he isn't going to get older and destroy the world but in the process a load of teenage girls keep on coming on to him and flashing their knickers at every possible moment. It is utterly ludicrous and kind of reminds me of Project A-Ko in just how sexualised and silly everything is. It all calms down a bit as the series goes on but it is still unmistakably Japanese.

Also been watching Naruto Shippuden which has really taken me by surprise since I just dismissed it for all these years. It does have a habit of going on a bit. There was an excellent fight scene that felt like a great conclusion to a fight that had already gone on for about ten episodes but they still had more twists and turns for the next two episodes or so as he wasn't quite dead. They really need to reign it in since it feels similar to those horror movies with one too many twists that really tarnish a great experience.

I also bought the Dragon Ball Z Kai collection on DVD. 98 episodes of remastered DBZ from the start right through to the end of the Cell Saga. Honestly couldn't tell you how the remaster is though since I haven't got round to watching it yet because of Naruto and Samurai Jack.

It was the sequel I was watching in the end. When it finished it suggest the original to me. I think what it was is approach it like it was going to be all philosophical and stuff so I had my mind tuned to that sort of thing, but it's just a basic revenge story that is kinda weird. That's fair enough. I dunno why I thought it wouldn't be that.

I may watch the original Afro Samurai sometime.

I watched the original series of Afro Samurai, wasnt really that impressed with it after hearing all about it for a while, i do have the sequel on blu ray, i'll give that a watch soon.

I havn't watched much anime in quite a while, i whacked Naruto Shippuden back in to get hyped for the UNS3. Only up to the second pair of Akatsuki, a long way to go!

I would like to get Dragonball Z Kai but i really don't like the fact it stops at the Cell saga, the Buu saga should be added in too!