passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

Kiki's was the first ever studio ghibli film i watched, never knew who it was back then. Think i had it on VHS.

I've been getting back into my anime again recently.

I've started buying Japanese collections

Bought

Lucky Star

Bleach

Excel Saga

Death Note

Love Hina

Currently still going through Naruto Shippuden and now p to date with High School of the Dead.

Watched Pom Poko on the weekend, and it was fucking awesome, not as good as spirited away or Mononoke/Howl's Motherfucking Castle but it was really good. Sent out all the right Ghibli vibes.

On the flip side recently watched Norse Prince and it wasnt very good, should have looked at when it was released before I watched it 1968, some scenes where there were lots on screen like loads of wolves attacking a village were just stills, presumably because they couldnt be fucked to draw lots of the same thing...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched nausicaa, was trying to get my folks interested in ghibli but it was a weak one really, for people not previously into it.

It was actually a good film overall, but you could tell that the ghibli magic wasn't quite in full flow. Of all the ones I've seen I still think that spirited away or pom poko are my favourites with princess mononoke or howls moving castle close behind.

Lawls, just read a higher post of mine where I say pom poko isn't as good as howls, mononoke or spirited away. I kind of see pom poko as being set apart from the other ghibli films, the animation style seems different and despite it featuring talking, magical raccoons it's not got that totally out there feel that the others do....hard to describe what I mean about it but I look back on it with a high regard, it seemed to make a lot more sense than the others, not sure if that's script or what it is...

Pom was a different director to the other ones you mentioned. I really like nausciaa but to get it's full impact you need to ready the comics instead. My personal fave ghibli films are porko rosa and wisper of the heart.

balls, enormous gliding raccoon balls

top for me is Grave of the Fireflies, although I'm in no hurry to ever watch it again. Then Totorro, Nausica, then Porko Rosso because it was actually one of the first anime films I saw (about 16 years ago :o )

• 3 months later...

I dont have a clue about half of what people are talking about, I guess I play it safe with anime/manga

Just finished reading Fullmetal Alchemist, might go and watch it again soon, I dont watch anime too often anymore, manga is more convenient seeing as I can read it in my PSP browser whiel doing other things. Still waiting for One Piece to get interesting again.

(Most of that was completely off topic -_-)

I recommend it, it has a lot of charm to it with all the craziness, my main fault with it is how it has a bit of an on/off progression, there are good arcs followed by bad arcs. Lately its been less enjoyable with the stretching out and padding of large events and the insanity getting a bit too much though.

i've not really read any manga, just some stuff DANGERMAN lent me, like the first akira book which was good.

recently watched two brilliant anime series - gurren lagann - which is mostly giant robots fighting so i'm not sure how it manages to be so good but it is. it's so over the top and epic, each episode outdoing the last and a pretty cool sort of twist half way through. and eden of the east, which is also great but a little slow then ends just as things start to kick off - then i realise there's a film sequel which is also good but still doesn't end the story :fist: think there will be more series/films. hope it doesn't go on too long. this isn't a massive spoiler as it's revealed pretty early on, but the main idea of the plot is pretty interesting

some people are given loads of money and special phones that put them in contact with someone who can sort out pretty much whatever they want - they have to "save" japan before their money runs out.

I don't really know much about gurren lagann, other than Yoko with that massive sniper.

Thing is with long going animes, they have so many fillers, its ridiculous!

Currently i'm watching Naruto, Soul Eater, Elfen Lied, Queen's Blade.

I have bought so much more, that i just havn't got round to yet :facepalm:

Thing is with long going animes, they have so many fillers, its ridiculous!

Currently i'm watching Naruto, Soul Eater, Elfen Lied, Queen's Blade.

I have bought so much more, that i just havn't got round to yet :facepalm:

ha i'm quite bad for that too :facepalm: agree about the ongoing stuff, try and stay away from it but if it's gone on for so long i guess it must be pretty good?

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Akira on bluray last night, the sound is much better on it, and it looks brighter, maybe a bit crisper too. That said there were moments where it blurred a bit, and while the animation is still top drawer there isn't enough detail in the art to make the film look all that much better.

I'm watching Eden of the East on br too, again really colourful and sharp, and at points there is extra detail you can see, but I dont think it would look much worse on dvd. It's decent so far though, lots of intrigue as to 9's past

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching Evangelion 2.22 You Can (not) Advance. Fucking awesome, easily the best Evangelion thing I've seen. They could have dumped more of the fluff, but the bit where Unit 2... probably works better because the whole thing is overblown

Just seen the trailer for Summer Wars, that looks really good too

• 11 months later...

Don't really know if Manga would come under this thread too but while I wait for Volume 36 of Berserk I decided to dip my toe into a new series. I found a decent sounding book called Gantz (cheap too) and took the Plunge. Didn't like it, Volume one at least.

Can't remember if I mentioned it in the film thread or not, but I watched my first ever anime film the other week, of Howl's Moving Castle (I don't count Akira as I never finished it and didn't like it).

I couldn't really concentrate on how amazing the animation is as I was trying to keep up with the bonkers story.