passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Prince of Persia

Oliath

Played assassins creed last year which i loved. This put the new prince of persia games on my radar as many people were

saying that the new POP would be like ass creed.

Saw some visuals of the new POP and was very impressed.

Read some reviews about it being too easy and very boring and was very unimpressed.

Moving house so have no internet which created a gaming need for some single player games.

This resulted in me taking POP home on monday.

WHile most press reveiws stated that the game was too easy and dull to play, many of the actual player reviews stated otherwise. I honestly think most gaming press is full of wankers these days who no longer play games for fun. You really can't get an honest impression of a game when you are having to grill through it in such a short amount of time. This was the mistake i myself made with fable II which resulted in me initailly hating it. Now... playing through again i am really enjoying it.

Prince of Persia is the same. Its a beautiful game. Its visuals are breathtaking and the attention to detail in the animations and sound design are incredible. It does feel alot like assassins creed to play too and for me this is not a bad thing. I think assassins creed had one of the best ambiences ever in a game and it was a wonderfully immersive and relaxing experience.

The fact that you can't die put many people off.

Instead of looking at this as a flaw it should instead be seen as a gameplay mecahnic... much like regenerating health was when it was introduced into FPS games. It doesn't make the game any easier or less fun... infact it makes it MORE fun and less frustrating. You have to take many leaps of faith in this game. If you died each time and had to reload it would soon become extremely dull and you would stop taking risks. THe fact that you can be grabbed and swung back to where you lept from to instantly try again with a different aproach is a benefit in my opinion.

The same for the boss battles.

IF a boss 'kills' you, the chick steps in and saves your life.... however... the bosses health bar fills back up by 80%. This is the punnishment. It means the game removes the painful repetition that many games can have and instead keeps the action and story flowing.

The story is engaging enough and you can choose to have as much or as little of it as you like.

You basically press the left trigger to talk to the girl. Each time you do this she tells you a bit more about herself, or the area etc. The dialogue is pretty well written and the voice acting is great.

The game has an old school platform feel to it's structure too.

You have a world map and you can go anywhere in any unlocked area... but you have to collect light orbs to unlock other areas. You don't have to collect ALL the orbs in the game to finish it as i understand... this is just for an achievement but its the first game where i have actually enjoyed trying to get all the orbs in each zone. Once you cleanse and area of its evil... the orbs appear. Its a nice bit of puzzling and platforming trying to figure out how to get them all.

I agree with the comment about the way things are reviewed, not enough time. Thanks for giving your impressions hobo, Im getting this on thursday or friday as the lady is out friday night and I get to play games, yippee!

I am actually not supposed to be playing it as it was meant to be a christmas present.

We had agreed that i wouldn't buy any more games for myself until January.

When my girlfriend saw me playing it i had to pretend it was the demo and i was just 'double checking that i wanted it as a present'

Ha ha ha.

Luckily she didn't click that the Trophy unlock thing only happens in real games.

Just wait, she will click and then you will be sorry, mine has just learned that there are certain games where you dont have to play for an hour to get to the dreaded 'next save point'.

Im going to try and swing by Game tomorrow lunchtime or something, because ive always been a fan of the Persia series, even the heavy metal one, memories etc.

Cool man.

Well like i said... or did i???

I haven't played any of the newer ones so i can't compare, but for me this reminds me of ass creed with a bit more focus on the running and jumping around bits and some cool boss fights... and CG version of ubisofts Jade to look at.

This is my most wanted game at the moment, I'm either going to trade Tomb Raider in for it once I'm done, or hopefully there may be a price drop on it in the next few weeks. I love its style though and am really looking forward to playing it.

Started playing this and i quite like it, Thees alot of humour in it made me laugh a bit, the character designs are awesome too.

also at the main menu press Y and gain acess to the altair skin. But i think i stick with the Prince, looks cooler.

I'm interested by this, but after seeing it on last week's 1up show I'm not too sure, it looks like a prolonged QTE without the button symbols flashing up. I'm not saying it doesn't require skill to play, but it doesn't look on par with Sands of Time.

Truly fucking amazing game, got the speed demon acheivement for doing it in under twelve hours, im the man.

This easily makes my ten best games of the year, its such an amazing game. When playing this your initial thoughts will be that it feels a bit too easy, but its just not at all, it never feels frustrating, it never feels like you are getting an easy ride, you just feel like youve done really well to get passed the bit you are at.

If people are saving this until christmas then you really wont be let down on christmas day.

Truly fucking amazing game, got the speed demon acheivement for doing it in under twelve hours, im the man.

This easily makes my ten best games of the year, its such an amazing game. When playing this your initial thoughts will be that it feels a bit too easy, but its just not at all, it never feels frustrating, it never feels like you are getting an easy ride, you just feel like youve done really well to get passed the bit you are at.

If people are saving this until christmas then you really wont be let down on christmas day.

EDIT:

Apart from when it ends and you get the acheivement 'To be Continued'....Bastards

Editum Editus: The ending is actually very good, and slightly different whilst at the same time in keeping with PoP endings.

Final Edit: See if anyone notices the digs the game has at previous games, one particularly confusing puzzle has the Prince saying 'all my other dungeons just had lots of pointy spikes, now theres cranks and levers everywhere' to which Elika replies, 'Well I guess when they built this, they wanted to make something that lasted a bit longer'

• 2 weeks later...

I started this tonight, and it's not as great as I hoped it would be. It looks amazing at times, especially when the land is healed and it all goes super colourful. But gameplay wise, it isn't fantastic. I thought I would enjoy hunting the light seeds after you heal an area, instead I am finding it pretty tedious and a bit of a chore. I like the platforming and climbing sections mind, and the dialogue is pretty good.

I'm going to stick with it. It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, just not quite what I was hoping for.

i started this last night too. got to admit, for a multitude of reasons the whole PoP trilogy passed me by! so i didnt really know what i was getting into at all. at first i died a lot. but now ive got used to how it plays, i feel like a ninja. love the combat, love the platforming, love the collecting, love the visuals, love the dialogue and characters. only thing im not so sure about is that reoccurring tune, maybe its the theme, that sounds like the cadburys flake jingle

I'm not too keen on it so far but I think it is my own fault. I was hunting the first set of orbs that you have to collect and I took a wrong turning and wound up in one of the places I shouldnt have been in yet. The girl kept telling me to find all the orbs but I kept ignoring her and I got myself totally lost.

I finally back tracked to where I should be but by that point I was bored of the game and now cant be bothered to turn it on again. I think I will wait a while before I try it again.

still think this game is brilliant, but as a completionist, and an achievement fan, its really let me down. ive encountered the bug where i can only get 1000 out of the 1001 light seeds in the game, id collected to 974 before realising this. super pissed off.

What happened dude?

@ ill: theres a game save bug in Pop (as far as i know its mainly manual saves that have the problem not the autosaves) where the last light seed you collected disappears off to its place again and you have to collect it again. some people, and im not sure how this is caused exactly beyond theories, are losing 2 light seeds but the last two light seed they picked up arent both there so they lose that one light seed forever. they can only collect 1000 light seeds not 1001! ballache. its the most time consuming quest of the game, and worth a cool 50g for getting 1001 so its totally laughable.