passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

If anyone wants an audio history of why Nirvana had to happen, I recommend listening to long bouts of Planet Rock on the radio. 8 hours of embarrassing old man rock, with the occasional good tune, reminds me of what growing up in the ‘80’s was like. Being conflicted over, “I like the sound of a distorted guitar, but those hairspray wankers are awful”.

On 30/05/2019 at 19:19, regemond said:

This is one of my favourite songs at the minute. It's not my normal taste but it's really bloody catchy.

I heard this for the first time today (it is part of the OST of Brightburn). I'd never heard of it or her before. I like the chorus.

I've been listening to HVOB's 'Rocco' a lot recently..

It's quite a long album (13 tracks) but it was hard to pick a track to put here. There's about 7/8 songs I really like. 

Still listening to a lot of Metrik too.. I posted videos but he was so good when I saw him live a few months ago..

I've never played Forza 4. But Metrik's sound is quite video gamey in parts, he should do a soundtrack of his own. 

Been listening to Springsteen’s new album “Western Stars” and Bill Callahan’s new album “Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest”. Western Stars is good, the more I listen to it the more I like it. There are some nice musical arrangements and strings feature quite prominently on the album. 

I haven’t listened to Bill Callahan for a long, long time (probably the last time I listened to an album of his in full was “Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle” from 2009). Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest is lovely. The album consists of 20 relatively short songs that flow into each other fairly indistinguishably. Mostly Callahan singing in his conversational style over fingerpicked or strummed acoustic guitars. Recommended if like me you like to listen to music while you are falling asleep.

Think I’ve seen that before, bless ‘em. 

The Cure are on Glastonbury right now and I’m gutted I’m not there. :(

I had the live feed streaming from iPlayer, my boss walked in on A Forest. “That’s The Cure? That’s pretty dark! I thought they did pop songs?”

I bet Bob Smith would find that hilarious, I was just stumped.

Stayed up to watch BBC coverage of The Cure at Glastonbury last night - thought they were absolutely superb.

Great band performance, setlist was brilliant, and Robert Smith was incredible - a true icon.

19 hours ago, Hendo said:

I had the live feed streaming from iPlayer, my boss walked in on A Forest. “That’s The Cure? That’s pretty dark! I thought they did pop songs?”

I bet Bob Smith would find that hilarious, I was just stumped.

Ha! I was guilty of this back in the 90’s - I’d only heard Friday I’m In Love and Inbetween Days. And then I bought Disintegration ha ha. 

I was listening to the radio today (Counts, right?) And there was this super awkward part where they were doing their competition and they phoned the winner to tell them they got £10,000. But the woman on the other end of the phone was clearly...something was up. And the radio host, just walking straight in to it, kept digging being like “What are you doing?”, “Why trying to keep yourself occupied?”, “What happened?” And then the woman turns around and says “I’ve just come back from my son’s funeral who died of Leukaemia” 

?

I give the radio presenter a 6/10 for the way they handled it. Because almost immediately she was like “Well I don’t want to keep you because clearly this isn’t a good time, but can I ask one question: Would you like £10,000?” Which is so cringe. But then to be nice she indulged the woman and let her cry and talk on the phone. And then in the most awkward segue the radio host was like 

“Well, that was emotional. We know what she’s going to be spending her money on...

(Cuts her off the air while talking)

But if you want the chance to win £10,000 be sure to tune in tomorrow and listen for Justin Beiber!”

Not funny but kind of funny ?

Don't you usually have to call up while the radio show is on to win those things? Was she in the hearse and heard, "baby baby baby ohhhh" and was like, hol' up, RIP in peace lil' soldier but momma gotta make that cheddar. This is all very sus. 

This video appeared in my recommends..

So I've been in a Burial mood again. I knew about Archangel's MGS2 intro sample. But him using Metal Gear style drums and sound effects all the time hadn't occured to me before. ?

I've been listening to Appleseed Casts new one which seems really good..

Linkin Park

It's two years to the day since singer Chester Bennington took his life, and I am day drunk and listening to his voice.

Musician deaths never really bothered me. I mean, they bummed me out, sure. But Chester's was different.

I remember the news sinking in and I just broke down. I was literally sobbing in my girlfriends arms (how mental is that?) And I had no idea why.

It took a few days of thinking but it hit me. All these musicians that have died before were from the generation before. I was brought up on them. But Chester was the first from MY generation. At least the first I cared about. 

I was introduced to Linkin Park because of my Dad. His friend was the city's premiere rock DJ so got all the promo CD's and had people telling him who the up and comers he should be pushing were/weren't, and Linkin Park were firmly in the PUSH category.

I had CD's, stickers, posters, all of it (I was essentially street team, I just didn't know it), and it took my school mates about 6 months to catch up. Linkin Park were always 'my' band. They've always been special to me.

I was suicidal throughout my teens for reasons I won't go into, and have battled depression for as long as I can remember, and Chester's lyrics gave me strength when I needed it, although every song he wrote was a cry for help.

I'm 34 now and still love this band with every fibre of my being. Scary how powerful an effect music can have on you. 

Anyway, I'm listening to Linkin Park and having a cry, remembering all the times Chester's words stopped me killing myself.

Depression is a killer, and for some reason it's still taboo to talk openly about it. May as well break the taboo here amongst friends.

x

That bothered me a lot as well and i have never listened to a Linkin Park album in my life. Same with Chris Cornell, not someone I have ever listened to but his death hit me pretty hard. Reason for me is that when you have mental health issues you just get fed the idea over and over that if you just do this or that it will go away or be fixed or whatever and it's bullshit for so many people. So when I see people like that that have probably been driven in part to do what they have done in their careers to 'fix' their mental health problems and then they get to 40 or 50 and just think fuck it, it's not going to get any better. That hurts. 

I don't think it's necessarily that taboo to talk about it anymore but only if you are on the other end of it. Like you can only become an expert on depression if you're not depressed anymore. If you have it then there's probably something you haven't done. Tried exercise? Must be your diet. How about medication? Oh youre taking it? Stop, all it does is hide the emotions so you don't have to face them, you know my uncle took them for years and then he stopped and he's fine now so we treat him like a human being again. You're not on any? Take some, it's like you're not even trying, honestly. DMT? I'll send you this JRE clip about it. 

• 3 weeks later...