passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

I’m listening to Tool a lot, readying myself for the new album.

Today I’m going through 10,000 Days as I never really rated it much, not enough of a step forward from Lateralus.

But the opening track has just some of the best rhythms going on.

About 4:30 In is just perfect. And the last 30 seconds or so too.

Not strictly 'listened to' but relevant anyway.

About 20 yrs ago I bought a good number of vinyl picture discs, 7", 12" and LPs, they  looked nice,  and seemed likely to be collectables. Left them in  their original PVC packs and over more  recent times haven't really given  them much of a thought.

Then SHOCKER !

Had a flick through  them at the weekend to find several have now  discoloured quite badly. A look online and it's due to age degradation of the PVC giving off a gas that adversely reacts with the vinyl ! So hastely repacking them in cardboard,  the PVC sleeves now going in the bin.

Yep it is quite niche, but just be careful of your collectibles !!

The new Rammstein album is out and so far it’s fucking fantastic. 

Haven’t really bothered with them for years, but the Deutschland single got my attention so I thought I’d give the album a listen and yeah, it’s brilliant. 

Been listening to a couple of kind of low key singer songwriter albums and I love them. 

Wooh Dang by Daniel Norgren

Daniel Norgren is a singer songwriter from Sweden. It’s my first time listening to him but I love this album. If anything it reminds me of Creedence Clearwater Revival. Especially the louder songs on the album like this, and a couple of others. It’s a mix of classic sounding blues-rock songs like this and some absolutely beautiful ballads, which are mostly direct and simple love songs (like “So Glad” and “You’re the Day that’s Just Begun”). I don’t know how to describe but it’s one of the purest and most genuine sounding albums that I’ve heard in a long time.

In the Shape of a Storm by Damien Jurado

Damien Jurado is an artist who’s had a long career but i only started listening to him last year after his excellent album “The Horizon Just Laughed”. In The Shape of a Storm is a very stripped down follow up where it’s just him and an acoustic guitar. But for what it is, I’m really enjoying it. Jurado has a really expressive voice. I was going to say that Daniel Norgren sounds like another Swedish artist, The Tallest Man on Earth (whose album The Wild Hunt is one i’ve been listening to regularly for nearly a decade), but if anything the style of this album is closer to TTMOE, although Jurado’s voice is much deeper and lower. 

I banged on endlessly about We Lost The Sea the other year, incredible album, the new one is finished too so should be out this year. Anyway, for those that don't know, inspired by their late singer their last album, Departure Songs, was all about people who'd laid down their lives for the betterment of others

As half the forum has been watching Chernobyl I went back and listened to the track about the 3 men who went back in to the reactor to release the water valves (this weeks episode)

This is one of my favourite songs at the minute. It's not my normal taste but it's really bloody catchy.

Same thing with this. Not normally my thing, but it's really chilled and I really like it.

The album that quite possibly changed me as a person is 30 years old and The Cure played the entire of Disintegration in the Sydney Opera House along some extras and streamed it.

Setlist:

Set 1
1. “Delirious Night”
2. “Fear of Ghosts”
3. “No Heart”
4. “Esten”
5. “2 Late”
6. “Out of Mind”
7. “Babble”

Set 2
8. “Plainsong”
9. “Pictures of You”
10. “Closedown”
11. “Lovesong”
12. “Last Dance”
13. “Lullaby”
14. “Fascination Street”
15. “Prayers for Rain”
16. “The Same Deep Water As You”
17. “Disintegration”
18. “Homesick”
19. “Untitled”

Encore
20. “Burn”
21. “Three Imaginary Boys”
22. “Pirate Ships”

Set 2 is the album in full, set 1 is songs that were recorded at the time and some made it to B-sides. “Burn” was on The Crow soundtrack, “Three Imaginary Boys” was on their first album, not sure where “Pirate Ships” came from.

About halfway through that Cure live set and I’m happy to report they’re on good form.

I’ve heard many live sets and seen them once in person which was very disappointing, and this is one of the better performances they’ve done in a while. Plainsong in particular can often sound bad as the song has off kilter rhythms and can sound like it’s dragging but it sounds glorious here. Still not a patch on the classic line up from ‘89 to ‘92 or the live album Show, but it’s still really good.