passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

6th may in Manchester, I'm in San Francisco...

I was just about to reply saying there's no Birmingham date but there is a Manchester one.

Like I said, they always seem to come around at a bad time for me. Potentially I can get free tickets for Gorilla,  I don't know anyone bar you that likes Mono, the mate who would potentially like them has just had his first kid so there's no way he'll be going to gigs this year. I've another mate who will probably go but will hate it, but if he doesn't have to pay for the ticket it's at least a night out

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I’ve been listening to three new albums:

Cass McCombs - Tip of the Sphere

Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs

Juan Wauters - La Onda de Juan Pablo

I used to listen to Cass McCombs around the time of albums like Catacombs and Wit’s End (I loved song’s like Dreams Come True Girl and County Line) but i haven’t been listening to his more recent material. I loved the lead single for his new album though (Sleeping Volcanoes) so I checked it out when it was streaming on NPR, and it’s great. It’s not a million miles from an old school prog-rock record.

Quiet Signs is Jessica Pratt’s third album and apparently it’s her first time recording in a proper studio. It’s been a while since I listened to her previous albums (which I love) but definitely there are a few more layers to her sound here, a few more instruments added to the mix. Although it’s still predominantly acoustic guitar and her voice. Quiet Signs is more of a “mood” record, there are times when her vocals are obscured, more so than I remember on her previous albums (if at all). But it’s a beautiful record that passes by in the blink an eye (9 songs, 28 minutes). The guitar arrangements are lovely, not to mention her voice.

I’ve never listened to Juan Wauters before, and I don’t understand a word of Spanish, but La Onda de Juan Pablo is great. It’s another short album, 10 songs, 29 minutes. The style of the songs varies but the musicianship is consistently excellent (contributed by street musicians he encountered while traveling around South America). I have no idea what he’s singing about but he has a nice, gentle singing voice and the songs have beautiful melodies.

I’ve also been listening to Damien Jurado’s most recent album, The Horizon Just Laughed. It’s a great singer-songwriter record in the vein of artists like Iron and Wine and Josh Ritter.

• 2 weeks later...

I was introduced to a new band on Friday - Zeal & Ardor. Not gonna lie, they're kind of fantastic. They take slavery music, give it a metal spin and turn it on its head, basically praising Satan/the devil instead of Jesus/god.

The title track off their first album (Devil is Fine - embedded here) is so, SO good. I don't know what it is, but they just seem to have gripped me. I NEVER listen to music in work and I've currently got my headphones in going through their first album again.

I'm quite embarrassed to say I've listened to a lot of Guns N Roses this morning. For some reason You Could Be Mine was rattling around in my head so I've been listening to the Greatest Hits. I think my foot drumming is getting on people's nerves at work..

I was listening to the first 3 MM albums in work the other day. Antichrist Superstar is still an exceptional album, Portrait of an American Family is a good start with some good tunes in there. Smells Like Children is still piss weak and mostly filler.

@Snaggletooth I fucking love The Wildhearts, on of my top 3 bands. Lost count how many times I've seen them, I have however never seen that video ?

After watching The Dirt twice over the weekend I thought I'd listen to Motley Crue again and then this happened and now I don't think I'm going to listen to Motley Crue again for a while. 

why is it causing problems, and is it a follow up to America?

La Dispute have just put a new album out. They're a weird band to demo because out of the context of an album they sound a bit plaid. Their new album is lighter and a bit more experimental than what they've done before, it seems very good, but it's not immediate, and it's a bit difficult to pick a track to put on here

This is actually 2 tracks, with the first just being ambient build up (Rose Quartz) to the first proper album track (Fulton Street 1)

I wonder if the spokeman has been a little misquoted, the way the BBC phrase it there is "if it's a cynical marketing thing it's shitty", which is fair. Rammstein have always struck me as fairly critical of political hypocrisy, be that German or not, so I'd think they were genuinely shining a light on Germany's history