passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic Unleashed

DANGERMAN

Right I may or may not have played some of the ps2 version of the game over the weekend, not to completion or anything like that but a few hours. The 360& ps3 versions are different to the Wii & ps2, which may themselves be different from each other (controls obviously are going to be). What I played wasnt too bad, but was mostly werehog (one of the differences between the ps360 and wii/ps2 versions). The werehog stages were passable enough, nothing especially complicated, difficult or broken, I wouldnt buy a game for them but nor would i refuse to play them.

The proper stages, what there are of them, are pretty good. Because they started off as short intro levels i dont feel like I really been allowed to sink my teeth into them yet. I did do an ice one that was really good though, had a couple of slightly different routes through it that you got to just by hitting a mark (so landing a link or chain to get to a higher route, missing it to go on the ground).

Other than that, Gaf now seem to be saying the 360 version is the way to go and will likely be the one i get (or ps3, whichever) and then depending on how cheap/good/fanboy things get I'll consider picking up the wii version. 1UP hated it, but even the ps2 version is better than they were making out and it's apparently the worsse version so make of that what you will.

And there's a short film that acts as a trailer for the game HERE. It's basically a less effeminate Casper

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=320131

Oh, dear me. Poor Sonic. Gamecentral's review on Teletext is equally scathing I'm afraid. You can imagine what all the other reviews are going to be like

The PS2 versions only £19.99. Might pick it up anyway (at some point). Ben you might be better picking up the Wii version afterall, if you're still interested?

Without wanting to come across as a fanboy (although obviously that im even remotely interested is because ive still got a bit of time for Sonic), reading the impressions thread on Gaf has thrown me. The vast majority there like it, not claiming it to be game of the year or anything like that, but enough fun to warrent a purchase at some point. Thing is they rate the 360 version higher than the Wii version, but the scores on metacritic say the opposite.

Either way i wont be getting it till next year when its £20, if at all.

Without wanting to come across as a fanboy (although obviously that im even remotely interested is because ive still got a bit of time for Sonic), reading the impressions thread on Gaf has thrown me. The vast majority there like it, not claiming it to be game of the year or anything like that, but enough fun to warrent a purchase at some point. Thing is they rate the 360 version higher than the Wii version, but the scores on metacritic say the opposite.

Either way i wont be getting it till next year when its £20, if at all.

I'll probably pick it up second hand. Theres another Wii Sonic game in the works (see Random News) this might be a better effort if its a Wii exclusive. It was actually the 360 game that GC reviewed - and still gave it 4/10.

Heres IGNs Review. The PS2 & Wii games are identical apparently, but their less scathing of it:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/931/931596p1.html

Really you thought it was that bad? Good to see you gave it a proper chance tho ;)

got to say I've played a couple of hours of it and thought the ps2 version was fine (very very rough though). Because of the way it was laid out I only got to play a handful of sonic stages, I really enjoyed those, they reminded me of the sonic stages from Adventure (the balls to the wall early ones rather than the slow ones later on). The werehog stages arent as bad as I was expecting, they just work like a slow platformer. Kind of Ratchet & Clank when you have to use your wrench.

This is a bit of a backhanded compliment, but there's far worse sonic games out there

Not much to add here, other to point out that I split it from the news thread.

I doubt I'll be picking it up anytime soon as I've missed out on some games that really interest me (Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, LocoRoco 2, etc) due to lack of funds and time to play, so Sonic will have to wait.

If only Sonic Team/SEGA could see that making a proper "return to roots" Sonic game without any wanky friends or gimmicks would sell to the old faithful, those who lost interest long ago and the kids.

Methinks I'll be passing on this one after I've heard a lot of negativity about it, and of course the extremely negative Eurogamer 4/10 review.

I think they just need to go back to complete and utter basics with the Franchise. Do a Megaman 9 kind of thing with it, although make the graphics be drawn at HD resolution. Sonic Team have shown they can't make Sonic anymore, so give it to the company that makes the Rush games, as they've made the best games in ages. I really hope they do this, as I can think of nothing else for this series now. Such a shame.

delete this one if you want and I'll start another one. Riva's sent me a review copy so I'll get playing it this weekend and get some more contructive thoughts down rather than just trying to defend it. (not that i think its astounding or anything, and there's better around worth buying)

Shall we take this as a new start

The game opens up with a fairly impressive CGI cutscene, nothing life changing but pretty well acted and it does look quite spanky for a ps2 game. Eggman captures Sonic, drains the chaos emeralds, causes the Earth to rupture for some reason, then dumps Sonic (now in werehog form) into space. Sonic lands and meets a new friend, new friend is dislikable without being screen punchingly annoying, very japanese comic relief though (reminds me of Puck from the Berserk series which illdog still needs to watch).

The game starts off with some insultingly easy tutorial stages for Sonics levels, press jump, drifting, how the lock on works etc, these all last about 10 seconds each. The level eventually starts properly and is lightening fast. It's quite basic initially, chaining attacks togather to reach higher points, ducking under things, and a few 2d sections. The boss fight is also pretty basic and easy but again I think is just to ease you into the controls. The only issue I have with the controls on the Sonic stages so far is that it can be a bit loose, particularly at pace when moving left to right, you probably wont die because of this (maybe the ice level later on) but you will miss rings.

These early sonic stages look fairly rough on the ps2, very jaggy and I dare say worse than the Dreamcast Sonic games. Things do pick up, but it is strange that these sections look worse than the werehog stages.

This is where personal opinion comes into it most I guess, the werehog stages arent nearly as bad as i was expecting. They're slow, and take a lot longer to do than the short sonic stages. You make your way through the level, alternate between square and circle to activate combos, triangle gives you a special and X jumps. You use R to cliimb and grab, the platforming using this becomes more prevelant later on, and as far as i got I never once died due to this (only when i launched an attack and lept off a ledge).

I've not caught up to where i got to the other weekend, but second time through on these early stages and I'm still not hating it. Obviously it's not the greatest game ever, but its no where near as bad as some would have you believe (just read the impressions on neogaf and rllmuk to see that people have enjoyed it even if the reviews arent all that great). Strange that the 360 version seems to have the best impressions but score the worst.

Yeah so impressions so far, not fantastic, sonic levels are good and fast, werehog so-so, but neither broken or unplayable

I'm getting towards the end of this now, damn the last Sonic level is hard!

For the most part Sonics levels are the ones that offer the challenge, not so much the main ones, but there are follow up levels such as get 150 rings and dont get hit that tend to have you restarting quite a bit. Sonic is a bit loose to control, or at least that's how it felt in the early stages, this last level not so much, so either I'm used to it or it just fits this particular stage better.

The werehog levels took a bit of a downturn the further I got in. At first the platforming isn't too bad and you're actually wanting it to offer more of a challenge, but as the jumps get fiddlier and the platforms smaller a few niggles pop up. The main one that's been killing me is that double tap movement is sprint, unfortunately this isn't quite set right and you'll be trying to correct a landing and sprint into oblivion. This is where the lives system is a bit annoying, you get 3, which would be fine if you could add to it but you can't, it's just 3 no matter how well you do. It's annoying because you'd happily keep trying, even on the werehog stages, but instead you're dumped to the overworld map and have to wander through the menues and hub again.

I'm still enjoying it, I want to get this twat of a level out of the way tonight but it might not be on the cards. I'd say it's a decent weekend rental in terms of length and quality so far

This is where the lives system is a bit annoying, you get 3, which would be fine if you could add to it but you can't, it's just 3 no matter how well you do.

If you were doing well you wouldn't be losing them all, would you. ;)

I liked the look of it at first and thought it might just be the one worth getting but my interest in it has gone, I'll just play the original on XBLA or Sonic Rush for decent Sonic action. I could see myself enjoying it a little. I even liked Sonic Adventure 2 but that was on the Dreamcast which I didn't own a lot of games for so I didn't have much choice at the time. This has come out during a time where anything merely quite enjoyable is not going to make me get my wallet out.

If you were doing well you wouldn't be losing them all, would you. ;)

Saucer of milk, table 2.

Yea, reading Bens impressions are making me whince. I can imagine from said impressions that it has that 'one more go' factor about it but i cant help but think im going to hate it anyway. Why do Sonic games always have to be so frustrating? I suppose thats the inevitable consequence of speed as a main ingredient in a platfrom type affair.

I take Ben's point but I thought the PS2 game looked very rough with a twitchy framerate and poor detail. The Cutscenes were about the only thing I thought looked nice.

By far the best looking Sonic game I've found on PS2 is Sonic Riders and even thats hit & miss. Bring me back Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on Gamecube please (and crikey even thats a Dreamcast game!)