passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

While any themes you work will NXE, check out some of the new themes via My Xbox and select your profile (second slot) and then change theme. Xbox 360, Spectrum, Day and Night are new themes that available as part of your NXE upgrade…check them out.

Aha! Cheers Ed. :D

Downloaded this morning, i couldn't resist the wait! only took 6mins and job done, the avatar thing is ok seems to be a more fluid system and a little apple'ish?

Just need to sort all the bits i want to learn on it and then im off! that top ten list of things to do is spot on!

I havent downloaded it yet so maybe i just dont appreciate it, but aside from the harddrive thing (and arguably including that) what's so revolutionary? The list is either stuff available elsewhere, stuff you could already do, or pointless stuff like deleting 0 scores

I'm not on an anti-360 rampage today honest :lol: I just dont see what's so special other than looking better and being smoother, which is great and all that dont get me wrong, but not something I'd spunk my load over. That said the party thing sounds easier for online shenanigans

Ben i think its just the same sort of thing as a new OS does for your PC. It makes it feel like new again for a bit.

Its also supposed to make verious things easier like the new party system and so on. Oh.. and being able to copy games to the HD shoudl reduce the crazy noise the 360 makes and improve the games performance a bit.

Also... Illdog... wasn't there an option to make the avatar's a bit fatter?

Shall post more tomorrow but been able to talk to friends while you are each playing completley different games = awesome :D

You could do that before, you crazy man.

I really like the new system but I wish you could move the order of the menus around, so I can have My Xbox as default and then Friends next to it, rather than the advert thing that's the current default.

Going back to an earlier question Ben asked about what's different about it, unlike the Blades, it isn't slow as fuck when you're online! Just navigating through the blades was a right pain, not bad at all offline, but online it was just broken.

I just had a go on World at War multiplayer, and it's amazing how much different it makes noise wise with the game installed on the hard drive, it's so much quieter! That feature alone makes the NXE all kinds of awesome. I'm going to be putting all my most played games on the HDD, for certain. I've already put five on there. :D

I agree on the wanting to move the menu's around and having My Xbox as the default one when you sign in. I can't see it happening though, but it would be nice.

I'm gonna piss on this parade and say that i am not that impressed wth the update.

Yeah visually its great, but the main bit i am using to get around is the dash pop up bit.

This dash... accessed from in game to send invites and messages etc is now actually SLOWER than the old dash to load up.

While the xbox is now quieter its STILL making more noise than the PS3.

Gears2 does seem to run smoother though so i guess they might have streamlined it for the HD.

I am also finding that i am now getting destroyed in games like gears2. Reading on forums lots of people are moaning about how the party system means that of course it makes it easier for the other teams to speak to one anotther and co-ordinate their pwnage :-(

I have also suffered from major lag since the update. Not sure if this is just thee times of day i am playing but yesterday it seemed fine.

Anyway.... basially i think... yeah.. it looks different and nice, but i have no use for the avatar stuff and all the other main menu bollocks.

Most of it is just more advertising space for them and of no real advantage to the users.

Ultimately the important bit... the blade... now runs slower than before and this was the bit which pissed me off before.... when you are trying to join a game or read a message mid game it got frustrating and now i really do think its even worse.

Hmph.

I think i agree with that actually Oli, it looks much nicer, and im sure that this new look is just the beggining of what can be done with it, but its not actually done what id consider to be the main thing that a new OS can do, and thats improve the performance of day to day tasks, like navigating around the dashboard.

Im not saying its all bad, I like the avatar thing, its cool and new, and im sure when a slew of avatar inclusive live arcade games come out then it will be pretty cool.

The party thing is inevitable though, nothing anyone can do about that, but on the bright side it means that whining little cocks can sing/scream at each other till their hearts' content.

The best thing they've done is keep most of the old system on the guide button as I'm really not convinced by the new Friends bar, I prefer the vertical list of names for ease of use, so I'll probably stick to using the Guide blades for friend requests, messages, etc.

Everything does look much nicer, more streamlined, though, and I wouldn't want to go back to the old blades as they were just plain shit. I just wish you could move them around to your liking and choose your default.

I installed Gears 2 before and it really does make a hell of a difference!