passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Good on 'em, one of the biggest companies in the world shouldn't be allowed to buy one of the biggest gaming publishers, simple as, it's anti-consumer.. It does make me laugh how Microsoft continually try to sell themselves as the plucky underdog 😂

If they just knew how to market games, how to manage their (many) studios and how to make exclusivity deals with Publishers they wouldn't have to go after someone like ABK in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, spatular said:

Bad times

Unless you've stacked Game Pass... in which case it makes no difference whatsoever.😉

I am thinking this is the precursor to a Game Pass price rise though.

If the ABK deal goes through 😂

But yeah, Xbox has few AAA exclusives 2 years into the generation so it's not something I'll be particularly worried about lol, with GP you don't have to worry anyway really though, will just push more folks to GP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's more news on layoffs the other day, Microsoft laying off 10000 workers. Bethesda and 343 impacted.

https://apnews.com/article/microsoft-job-cuts-18fe0c9b8c9ff856e932e075161b1f43

This has been the general trend across tech as the covid19 tech bubble rapidly deflates. Lots of companies made overly optimistic assumptions about the growth potential they had (Meta), or if you look at it more cynically they just wanted to make hay while the sun shined, and not consider the impact to individuals (this is what I think)

What's uniquely interesting to the MS story from a gaming perspective is the reliance on contractors to get through Halo Infinite's development, and the tech debt cost caused by the amount of churn that went on at 343. These tenures were short, 18 months on average, you're not even operating at peak velocity in a lot of that time due to having to figure out the tech stack you're working with. 

(this is an old tweet, I took it from this resetera thread)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-to-lay-off-10-000-employees-between-now-and-march-31st-343i-bethesda-game-studios-and-the-coalition-among-impacted.676924/page-15#post-99924304

Contractors don't get the same amount of benefits as permanent employees either.

Whoever the decision makers are in that situation, they seem pretty stupid.