passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

• 1 month later...

2 weeks until MS E3 replacement showcase. Very excited. Although I’m thinking that day 1, still sealed copy of Deathloop might as well stay in the wrapper at this point 😕

There’s not enough time in the year

Fable 4, here we go! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice. Maybe Xbox will be the place to play Destiny 2 after all. Might help with getting in to Sea of Thieves as well?

I thought Sony bought Discord though so surprised it’s not on PS first. Unless this deal was in the works before 

I had a look for that just now, all I see is that discord links with your psn but you can't actually run discord on ps and have voice chats, surely the actual thing you want to use discord for gaming wise?

https://www.techradar.com/news/you-can-finally-connect-discord-to-your-ps5-but-its-pretty-underwhelming

This info could be outdated I guess, but back when I was hardcore about ffxiv the lack of discord on ps and how awkward it became to manage raids became the decisive factor to getting back into PC, moreso than settings and graphics. Just the convenience of it as something to alt tab into.

Now I use it for fighting game tech, still the alt tab being the really convenient thing with it. Anyway having a universal chat client which works across platforms is very useful for lots of games

edit even on xbox the way this works sounds sort of weird

Discord voice chat on Xbox works by essentially transferring voice chats from Discord to an Xbox, and it's supported on both Xbox One and Xbox Series S / X consoles. That means you can't directly join Discord calls from an Xbox, and there's no dedicated Discord app on the console. Instead, you always use the mobile app to sling calls across, and they integrate into an Xbox Party-like interface.

But I suppose not that bad really, it works at least.

But this will help look for groups, no? That’s what I want these consoles to have. Xbox already has a find a party thing but with cross play becoming more normal it’ll be good to have an app on the box to jump in to, find a group and go. 

Not really interested in talking to people. Just to find a party to jump in with no mic 

I don't see why it would help just for finding groups but maybe I'm missing something there (or misunderstanding maybe what 'finding groups' means in this context), every time I've used it for MP voice chat has sort of being the point of it. Looking for 'statics' (mmo word for regular group) or 'pick up groups' to do voice chat with. Using it as a sort of matchmaking tool, I dunno, it's just a bunch of chat channels really. Maybe other communities use it for that, I don't play Destiny 

Tho I was mainly talking about the ps integration and how it doesn't really seem to be much at all other than telling discord people your trophies and what you're playing and stuff, which seems sorta useless imo.

What I think I actually would like is if Discord is not only on the consoles but became standard game integration as well run by the game’s CMs. 

Like when I was looking for a group for TMNT the other week the best I could find was a discord full of fan art and stuff. It would be so much nicer if in the multiplier options you could random match make, but also be able to search the games official discord for other people specifically doing the same objectives/modes/achievements etc

• 1 month later...

Speaking of console wars, I really like them. I like seeing companies try outdo each other, I like seeing people get mad about it, I think healthy competition is good for all facets of video games. 

So stuff like this I think is bad news 

Fewer exclusives? 🤔 Then my reaction is what’s the fucking point? 

I guess he isn’ talking for PlayStation and Nintendo. They need exclusives. Nintendo especially.

I would have thought they also need exclusives, or at least timed exclusives for Gamepass. 

From a small quote it’s hard to know how wide of a range or material what he’s talking about is, but he’s the head of Xbox I doubt there’s people more clued up on future trends than him.

I say fuck that. More platform exclusives, more next gen exclusives. I want fire not soft 

I was more thinking about single player titles and not just activision games.

I’m only reading the quote in the tweet but I take that to mean there’s going to be a lot less Xbox exclusives going forward. Which is like what is the point in making an Xbox then. 

And I’m hoping he means just Xbox and not the other 2 

Sounds like it's mostly multiplayer games he's aiming that at...

Spencer, who has pledged to make Call of Duty available for the rival Sony PlayStation at least for some period of time, said the idea of games made exclusively for one device “is something we’re just going to see less and less of.” 

“Maybe you happen in your household to buy an Xbox and I buy a PlayStation and our kids want to play together and they can't because we bought the wrong piece of plastic to plug into our television,” he said. “We really love to be able to bring more players in reducing friction, making people feel safe, secure when they're playing, allowing them to find their friends, play with their friends, regardless of what device  — I think in the long run that is good for this industry. And maybe in the short run, there's some people in some companies that don’t love it. But I think as we get over the hump and see where this industry can continue to grow, it proves out to be true.”

Who knows though.

Yeah online walled gardens make zero sense. If anything it will just lead to those titles stagnating as they can't reach as big a playerbase.

Removing barriers is just a net benefit for online games. I mean, look at how GG Strive is so dead on Playstation but still lively on PC. Cross play, less exclusivity, all it means is the games would be better.

I mean he has to say this doesn't he? He's buttering up the anti-competition commissions around the world that are currently assessing this deal and saying things like all Acti/Blizz games in the future will stay multiplatform and stuff will help their case. 

I do hope its true and it they keep certain franchises on other systems but we'll see, Phil likes to talk a lot. We'll see.