passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Random question, and I don't think I've seen the answer to this anywhere (and if there is an answer, apologies, because I can't find one), but are ALL Xbox/360/One games going to be compatible on Series X?

For example - will Eternal Sonata, a game not currently on Microsoft's BC list for Xbox One, work on Series X?

1 hour ago, regemond said:

Random question, and I don't think I've seen the answer to this anywhere (and if there is an answer, apologies, because I can't find one), but are ALL Xbox/360/One games going to be compatible on Series X?

For example - will Eternal Sonata, a game not currently on Microsoft's BC list for Xbox One, work on Series X?

Had a quick google search and found this article from GamesRadar:

If you can play it on Xbox One, you can play it on Xbox Series X. This also applies to previous-gen games, so not all Xbox 360 and original Xbox games will be playable on Xbox Series X, but everything in Microsoft's ever-expanding backwards compatible library will. Not only that, but games running on Xbox Series X will benefit from even greater performance improvements than the ones seen on Xbox One, which already worked wonders for older games. With the Xbox Series X specs sporting an NVMe SSD, dramatically more RAM, and a much beefier CPU and GPU, older games should run smoothly and load lightning-fast. 

So it seems only games currently on the XB1 BC list will be able to run on Series X.

Also, sorry to keep banging on about price but I wanted to do some quick ballpark calculations based on current $ to £ conversions.

If XBSX is $499 it makes it £384 but then 20% for VAT brings it to £460. Which could mean a £479-£499 price tag here.

If XBSX is $549 it makes it £423.50 + 20% VAT brings it to £507.60. Which could mean a £525-£549 price tag here.

If XBSX is $599 it makes it £462 + 20% VAT brings it to £554.40. Which could mean a £580-£599 price tag here.

If XBSX is $649 it makes it £500.58 + 20% VAT brings it to £600.69. Which could mean a £625-£649 price tag here

Out of those I think $599 is most likely due to the kit in it, but if Microsoft is prepared to eat some of the cost itself then $549 is a sweetspot, it would avoid the dreaded $599 as well. 

What are the PC people here planning? I'm trying to look at this to guage what kind of 3XXX series nvidia would meet the XSX speeds. It kind of feels for a while we will see parity between consoles and PC which is something you have to go all the way back to the xbox 360 to remember.

I'm in no rush about this tho, I am still playing in fricking 108060 with a card that can do 1440 ?

32 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

What are the PC people here planning? I'm trying to look at this to guage what kind of 3XXX series nvidia would meet the XSX speeds. It kind of feels for a while we will see parity between consoles and PC which is something you have to go all the way back to the xbox 360 to remember.

I'm in no rush about this tho, I am still playing in fricking 108060 with a card that can do 1440 ?

Well I primarily got my PC last time because last-gen was underpowered before the Pro/X consoles came out. So this time around my PC will be 6 years old in December, I've got a midrange card in it - that I'm still paying off - and have only gone on it twice briefly since January. 

So I'm probably going to transition back to consoles this gen, even if I got a 30XX card in it at the end of the year that's gonna be £600 (- the cost of the 2060 I can sell) plus I would wanna get a 4K monitor for £180-£250 if I was gonna go that route so consoles will be cheaper. I'll sell off my Pro, PSVR and One S sometime after GoT is released and just rely on Stadia and Switch until the NG consoles drop - that is assuming they're still dropping Winter 2020 of course.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I was thinking about it this morning. The plan is to upgrade the cpu, motherboard and ram this year, I wasn't going to touch the card. My monitor is 1980p 144hz my GTX1080 should comfortably hit 60 at that resolution for the next couple of years even on higher settings. 

It was weird this gen, I got a PS4 and my pc was already miles better so I didn't use it much. Got a Pro and my pc was better, then I added the 1080 and the Pro felt a bit half arsed. In some ways it will be nice to get a console that feels like a step up. 

Equally though, depending on the next lot of cards, maybe I will hold off on the console and build a new pc or vice versa, only half build and get a console 

I was genuinely confused at the last couple of posts, because mine hasn't updated since I got my S. Turns out I'm signed up to that thing where you can get updates early and I've already had the new layout - which I vastly prefer.

Especially the ease of getting to My Games & Apps. Really like that.

The stadia bump reminds me we should be hearing more about streaming at some point. This whole 'smart delivery' thing would be a very good offer if it included streaming at some point

Especially now as the arse seems to have already fallen out of Geforce Now and lots of companies pulling their shit off of it. Will streaming just be another Netflix/hulu/amazon nightmare of walled gardens everywhere? Or can MS provide a strong enough offer to get a pretty big walled garden themselves

Isn't some of the benefit of the streaming business model based on not having to spend £500 on new hardware, but instead the ability to use older tech?

So if MS are going to go that way they'd need to convince people why they'd need a Series X to do it, rather than it being accessible through a Xbox One.

At the start I don't see it ever being attractive as a replacement because it's too unrealiable and finnicky. Wifi issues, router problems, packet loss and network dropouts (that can just be a second long but enough to fuck up your game)

EG, I would need to connect via ethernet to get good speeds on Geforce now which kills the advantage of it, at least until 5G maybe. You've got to prove it works first.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, backwards compatibility the way they do it by slightly improving the technical side of older games is really good. I recently stated playing Panzer Dragoon Orta again and not only is it still sort of unbelievable that this game is an Xbox game and not an early 360 title, it's just really cool that I can play it on current hardware in HD without having to re-buy it (even though I did, that franchise needs all the love it can get).

I'll probably go back to some games when the new Xbox is out. Mirror's Edge Catalyst was targeting 60fps on all systems but only ever ran at around 40-ish on Xbox for example.