passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't paid full price for Live or Game Pass for ages, don't think I have ever paid full price for GP actually. Usually just let it lapse, then take advantage of the offers that pop up on the dashboard. Don't have more than a few days downtime before they are offering month trials for £1 or X months for half price. 

26 minutes ago, Nag said:

New house stuff?... Have you moved in with that bird @Blakey?

At the end of April yeah, just currently going through all the signing/deposit wranglings with the letting agents/builders so got to buy a whole load of stuff, sign up for council tax, tv license, get new internet.

Sofa, TV,  Bed + Headboard, Mattress, Internet all ordered plus her Manager gave her a load of cooking stuff for free from work. The rest we're getting from Ikea on Saturday but it shouldn't be too expensive, need a TV cabinet, coffee table, other misc. cooking and bathroom stuff then we should be all set.

Xbox One S Digital-Only Edition
 Xbox One S Digital-Only Edition Photograph: Microsoft

Microsoft has announced a new model of its Xbox One console, a digital-only version that will not be able to play discs and costs less than its siblings.

The Xbox One S All-Digital Edition is functionally and visually identical to the existing Xbox One S console, apart from the absence of a disc drive. It’s aimed at “digital natives”, according to Microsoft’s Jeff Gattis – primarily teens who grew up without the discs and cartridges that older games relied upon. It is out on 7 May, and will cost £199 in the UK and $249 in the US, significantly cheaper than the other Xbox One models. It will come with Minecraft, Forza Horizon 3 and Sea of Thieves pre-installed, and a discounted subscription to Xbox Game Pass, which offers a library of more than 100 games for a monthly fee.

The disc-less model is not intended to replace disc-based Xbox Ones, Gattis insists, despite a huge market shift towards subscription services and downloadable games in the past few years. “We’re not looking to push customers toward digital; it’s about meeting the needs of customers that are digital natives that prefer digital-based media,” he says. “I’m not able to talk about future generations [of Xbox consoles]: for now this is a choice that buyers can make, and the market can take things where it wants to take it.”

The Xbox One S Digital-Only Edition is only the second video game console to rely entirely on game downloads instead of discs or cartridges: the first was Sony’s portable PSP Go, released in 2009. Microsoft has been working on a next-generation Xbox console for some years now, and is widely expected to announce it at this year’s E3 video game expo in June.

I'm amazed they didn't make it cheaper and smaller than that. I honestly don't know why you'd pick that up over one with a drive, but I guess I'm not a digital native

Just a quick sight check against Amazon listings and it does seem to be quite a good deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=xbox+one+s&crid=1VBST7TSGLTTW&sprefix=Xbox+one+%2Caps%2C143&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_9

Not blowing the doors off, really, considering It’s FH3 and not 4 and Sea of Theives which, I don’t know what it’s like now, got that big anniversary update soon, but at release was disappointing to say the least.

However this Xbox Game Pass thing is the constant ace in the hole for Xbox. It’s just an amazing deal and really fits in nicely with the whole digital thing, and for the first 3 months you get so many great games for virtually nothing on top of the entry price.  

You would still be playing all these great games on a standard Xbox One, so the games are going to run like a 3 legged dog, but for minimal investment and such large access for the curious, makes sense at the tail end of the generation. Take a quick tour of all of Xbox and what it did this gen and if you like it good because next year is our next Xbox. 

Game Pass & Gold thing is official.

As part of its latest Inside Xbox showcase, Microsoft officially unveiled its combination Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass service - known as Xbox Game Pass Ultimate - confirming several reports that were swirling around earlier this month.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, as you'd reasonably expect, includes all the benefits of both services and will cost £10.99/$14.99 USD a month. That makes it slightly less than the £13.98 you'd pay for one month if you subscribed to Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass individually.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will launch "later this year", but Microsoft says it will be inviting a limited number of Xbox Insider members to test the service ahead of its eventual release.

Hope gamepass is as as good when the next Xbox comes around because that will be a big argument for it being my main console. Right now I’m too invested in the PS4 w/ regards to amount of games and time spent on the system that gamepass isn’t worth it to me right now. I don’t have the time to add a literal library to my existing backlog. But if Gamepass is this awesome for the Xbox Two or whatever then I think it will easily become my main console again 

I don’t know. I only did a 10 second check against Amazon and all the Xbox One S deals were around the £200 mark. The standard box with no game was £193, I think, so the fact the digital only unit comes with 3 games - Minecraft, FH3 and Sea of Thieves, seems reasonable to me. Those games could be better, but it’s still 3 games, so

However again I think this is just the step in the door for Gamepass. Once you pay the initial £200, the first 3 months of gamepass was $1 (don’t know how much in the UK) and that’s where the true cost saving lies, I think. Because then you can play all sorts of shit. 

You could still buy a disc disc based one and Gamepass on top and it’s probably similar in overall price. But that’s why I think it’s a pretty good deal. At the very least, it doesn’t seem like a rip off

But that’s my assessment maybe others feel differently 

EDIT: Also I think this is really aimed at kind of like a taster. Because this isn’t an X, so these games are not going to be no way near as good as they could be, but I think it’s designed to get people who never picked up an Xbox this whole gen, show them how good this Gamepass eco system is, and prime them for the next Xbox assuming PS aren’t scrambling right now to build a competitive service 

The biggest issue for me @Maf is that you’re locking yourself into paying digital prices. Gamepass is fine and all but there’s an argument for it being games you don’t have because you weren’t interested in them in the first place.

Its not a bad idea, just priced terribly. 

42 minutes ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

The biggest issue for me @Maf is that you’re locking yourself into paying digital prices. Gamepass is fine and all but there’s an argument for it being games you don’t have because you weren’t interested in them in the first place.

Its not a bad idea, just priced terribly. 

Totally fair. I’ve yet to buy a game digitally that was available in a box because of the price. But they do say this is for “digital natives”, whoever that may be. 

Very expensive!! I’ve seen the normal S in sales for less than £200 with a couple of games many times. Even down to £160 a few times. So get locked into paying more for games, never being able to trade in

or sell games to make back some money and losing a 4K Blu Ray drive for about the same price and sometimes more as the “regular” console. Makes sense... 

Although it could be genius on MS’part, people who buy digital only seem to not care about being ripped off or paying more for less if it saves them up to a minute inconvenience changing a disc so why wouldn’t they pay more for a digital based console too? MS must know this so can charge more for it. Pretty smart really. 

It's a weird one in general I think. It's not radically different from what they already have out in terms of price (and form factor I guess, but that's less of an issue), and it's right at the end of the generation. You assume Microsoft are testing the waters but it's so late it's barely going to sell even if it had been priced better. I just don't see the point from MS' point of view (or anyone else's tbh), the streaming box at the start of next-gen makes more sense to me