passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

My Xbox hasn’t had, and probably will never have, a disc in it.

I’m fully into using it only for Gold games and Game Pass so I could happily remove the drive at this point.

The push for download games wasn’t the big thing that people pushed back on when they announced the One. It was more the always online stuff and the insane arrogance of the old Xbox boss just treating his customers with disdain.

Sorry, but I just can’t understand people who buy digital over physical with full price games on consoles. Usually you’re paying about £10 more and you can’t sell it on when you’re done with it. Just can’t get it in my head why you’d take that option. Even for the convenience surely the money outweighs that? Take Spider-Man for example. My mate bought it physical for £40 brand new when it was £54.99 digital. If that wasn’t bad enough he then sold it a few weeks later for £28 to CEX. So all in it cost him £12 when it could have cost £54.99 digitally. This price disparity is the norm for every major release too. Even now in the Black Friday sale its £34.99 digitally when I couldn’t have easily bought it from my mate for £30 and then sold it on for almost that after too. 

Sure massive multiplayer focused games are different but there’s no guarantee you’ll definitely love them either. So I always buy them physical just in case it’s rubbish then I can sell it. And if it’s not I’ll buy it digitally in the future when it’s £10 or under like I didn’t with Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1. Even buying those twice I still saved money compared to buying it digitally to start off with. 

If you just stick to Gold games and Game Pass I can see this disc less version actually being pretty good though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't you of kept Game Pass and downloaded Horizon 4 @Manicm ?

Some brief impressions of the XBOne S since I got it on Monday.

The console itself looks way better than I thought it would. My entertainment centre has all-black/grey consoles so I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb but the white somehow looks phenomenal, the design of the console itself and build quality seem pretty great too. 

The dashboard has definitely improved since my OG Xbox 2+ years ago I'll say that much. But it still isn't as good as the competition overall so far in my view. When you're downloading something all the pictures/avatars everywhere seem to disappear which makes it harder to navigate on ocassions, it takes way too many layers to find or get anything off the store too, to install a Game Pass game it sometimes decides to take me to the store (which takes time to load) then a video plays which I have to stop before I can actually press 'install' on the game. 

I do like the new guide menu that opens when you press the Xbox button on the controller though, it seems very responsive, snappy and you can see everyone who's online, all your notifications etc. Very quickly and easily. It's a bit weird when it first opens another layer on top of the one you're on but that's just a design quirk I was surprised about than anything bad. I like the new party chat too, you can tweak some menus so you can an indicator on screen who's talking and when, it's a very neat little QoL feature.

With Game Pass I've downloaded about 250GB of games as well :lol: not that I'm ever likely to have time to play all of them, but it's very cool to have them all sitting there waiting for you. 

Lol with gamepass you rent the games like plus, but you can buy them at a discounted price if you want to keep them or leave gamepass, I’ve ended my gamepass so to continue forza I have to buy it, it’s £49 but get 20% off if I buy it while my gamepass is still active.

£8 a month for something I don’t use it’s a waste, i can be pretty tight with money sometimes.

Yep I’ve found it for £20 a download code.

jimbo yep I tend to find I play something then 6 months later go back to it, I haven’t used my Xbox since launch of forza so that’s £24 wasted on gamepass.

The one bonus is I can play if offline for 30 days...