passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Shit.... I’m really looking forward to getting next Xbox. & thanks to Backwards Compatibility and Game Pass hopefully meaning I don’t have to spend £120+ extra on a couple of new games to show it off I was planning on buying it day 1. 
But, if it genuinely is that big I literally won’t have anywhere to fit it. My Tv fills the stand on top and I’m not sure my shelves are going to be deep enough underneath. Its a pretty new and expensive tv stand too so I’m nowhere near being in a position to change my stand again. :( Hopefully it’s all a bit overblown and the final design will be smaller. Even if it’s only by a bit. 

49 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Jeff on GB was talking about the specs of this thing and apparently it more than holds its own against current high end PC parts. That's super encouraging and not something that's happened with consoles in a really long time.

Kinda excited now

The PS5 will be the same, possibly even more powerful. But yeah, its cool that consoles have made such a seemingly big leap, I do worry a bit that Lockhart is going to keep the scope of games from being too grandiose and different enough to current gen though but we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.

Jeff is friends with developers I'd imagine @Nag, who are able to inform him maybe.

Basically he was talking about how it used to be a thing that a console would outpower a PC for about 12 months or so, before a major release of new stuff on PC would overtake them again

But this gen was not that with the PS4/Xone and their upgrades. Even when the Pro came out it was fairly wimpy. So it's encouraging to hear at least.

I'm betting this is why we are seeing this type of form factor. You just can't squeeze all those parts together without heat problems

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I'm betting this is why we are seeing this type of form factor. You just can't squeeze all those parts together without heat problems

I'm still hoping the PS5 won't look like a mini-fridge though. Although I accept it may need to be a bit larger.

Also I don't care how much noise either Next Gen Console puts out.

41 minutes ago, Maf said:

Blakey why have you got such a hard on for the PS5 when we don’t even know anything about it yet?

I'm merely mentioning it because there's two next-gen consoles coming out not 1. We do know a bit about the PS5 from the Wired Article earlier this year, admittedly not as much as the Series X though.

34 minutes ago, Nag said:

Because he hates Xbox...??

I don't hate Xbox at all, I have an Xbox One S and I think Game Pass is fantastic :)

It’s not that there shouldn’t be counter points but counter points to what? We now have an idea of what to expect from the Xbox. And most of that idea is it’s going to be big. Like literally. But there’s nothing to know about the PS5 except it will probably be called the PS5 and Spider-Man loads really fast on it. 

This is what made me laugh

The PS5 will be the same, possibly even more powerful

What is that assumption based on, and more powerful than what? No one even knows how powerful the Xbox is. They said it was twice as powerful as the Xbox One X. What the fuck does that even me in a real sense. 

That Hellblade 2 video looks really nice, but I’ll believe it when I actually see it. Same as the PS5. It’s a nice dream but I think it needs to be seen first.

5 hours ago, Nag said:

more than alright treating it like a subwoofer and having it upright at the side of the tv stand on the floor (I wont be though)

Already got a subwoofer at one side and no space at the other lol. 
Having another look now I’m home I should be ok, realised I’ve got my amp on one of the shelves and  that’s pretty fucking huge. Surely can’t be bigger than that. 

4 hours ago, Maf said:

It’s not that there shouldn’t be counter points but counter points to what? We now have an idea of what to expect from the Xbox. And most of that idea is it’s going to be big. Like literally. But there’s nothing to know about the PS5 except it will probably be called the PS5 and Spider-Man loads really fast on it. 

This is what made me laugh

What is that assumption based on, and more powerful than what? No one even knows how powerful the Xbox is. They said it was twice as powerful as the Xbox One X. What the fuck does that even me in a real sense. 

That Hellblade 2 video looks really nice, but I’ll believe it when I actually see it. Same as the PS5. It’s a nice dream but I think it needs to be seen first.

We still don’t really know that much about the Series X though really, we know far less about the PS5 and we haven’t seen it granted. Counter points to what Dwarf was saying about the form factor and power. There’s loads more info than just that out there. 

I’m not sure why it made you laugh ? I’m not just pulling stuff out my arse and it’s not really an assumption more facts and factual estimates from official info, insider info and developer murmurings. There’s a whole thread on ResetEra dedicated to the PS5/XSX specs and this 2nd Wired Article I forgot to post earlier. From that thread and article it’s easy to glean that the PS5 will be very powerful too and perhaps very slightly more powerful than the Series X. They both have the same CPU and GPU and both have SSDs.

I was replying to Dwarf when he said Jeff on GB had talked to developers who have said its specs hold their own against current high end PCs. That means it’s very powerful and if it’s that powerful then that’s impressive. From the specs we have and the other info that is out there we can glean that both consoles are very powerful. 

I have no idea whether the Hellblade 2 video was indicative of the entire look of next gen games or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Cynical brain on here, but could that be a mistake on MS' part?

Taking users like you, @Nag, out of the equation (ie hardcore users who will most likely upgrade no matter what), what reason is there for the casual gamer to get on board if they can just get the same game on Xbox One? Unless this is one of those situations where they've seen users upgrading from PS3/360 to PS4/Xbox One at a slower rate due to cross-gen games so don't think they need platform exclusives just yet?

It could mean for better games. 

You can easily count on one hand the amount of games that are classics that launched on release day for a console.  Having late gen games, which are often the strongest, performing better on the new console and giving devs time to get to grips with the new hardware instead of rushing something out for launch should be good. 

It's not the most convincing system to buy at launch but I can see it playing out well in the long run. 

What I suppose could happen is you end up with titles like for instance Control, which has these cutting edge ray tracing visuals on PC but nothing of the sort on console.

In fact I would bet something like this, the first wave of releases won't look that much higher quality visually speaking than current gen except for native 4K and ray tracing. So maybe they have done the cost analysis and found that it is perfectly possible to get playable and good looking versions of these games on both systems.

it's Microsoft's own studios, so if they want to stick with this then all they have to do is dictate it. There's going to be a gulf in cpu performance between the xbox one and the Series X, that's not just a question of dropping the res, that potentially limits what they can do with the game. but again, if they've already told their developers, then they have to build around it. It's only about 9 months longer than you'd expect cross platform games to keep coming out from 3rd parties too

I remember getting in big arguments with Sly about that CPU thing. It's not just about pixels and graphics. Otherwise you wouldn't have frame drops in massive raids in online games.

But I think for this early batch they will use image quality and ray tracing as the selling point. I mean I assume they will, I dont really know