passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Was very surprised to see this get shown off at the TGAs and with a launch(?) game too. Hellblade 2 looked very nice but the gameplay will have to be much improved over the previous game for me to pick it up.

I think the design of it is alright, it's just a black box really, the fact it stands vertical and is more of a tower is a bit odd but ok. The name is horrendous though, why can't Xbox name things normally? Why can't it be the Xbox 3 or just Xbox? 

It's not for me anyway. Will be interesting to see what kind of price tag it has and whether the recent resurfaced Lockhart rumours turn out to be true or not.

The name isn’t brilliant. I’d seen the memes before the actual proper video, and thought “It’s not really going to look like that, right? Oh. Apparently it is”.

Having said that, I don’t dislike the design. And being totally backwards compatible (though there’s bound to be some problems) is quite an accomplishment if they pull it off. 

I’ll be going for PS5, but this looks decent enough.

I saw a to scale comparison of the Sexbox to a Ps4 pro and wow that's a big console. I wonder if the reason is so they can hit higher CPU frequencies, cause the fact that current consoles rely on shitty netbook processors held them back massively this gen.

I have to imagine its about better air flow, so the system doesnt go on fire. If ps5 does similar then maybe this lifts the requiremens floor somewhat for games on all systems

WEmf6Jk.jpg

Ray tracing, my dude. Shit's fucking expensive and will improve fast.

No more must we suffer the injustice of weird reflections that change and cut off images of objects when you move the camera around. 

Ray tracing might even make 4K a challenge to hit on next gen. PC ray tracing is pretty much locked to 1080p 60 on the highest end cards right now

It's just graphics, a CRT could show it.

Take a look at Digital Foundry's video on your favourite video game. 

Mostly Ray Tracing is about getting us to a point where things are lit more realistically. So rooms and objects don't just look like a bunch of stuff thrown together, light sources will interact more realistically with everything in the space. 

Some of this stuff is a little hard to appreciate I'd admit but it makes images look a lot more real imo. In the Control example the difference with on and off makes the off example look like a world is being built out of styrofoam, imo.

What could change over hardware iterations is the quality of techniques used. If PC is struggling so much with it now then who knows how good it will be on PS5 at first. Pure speculation though.

EDIT, also it's not just ray tracing. Doesn't the new Xbox support higher than 60 framerates too? Like 120fps or something. We'll eventually get to a point where 60 might be the new 30 which could require a bigger push on both CPU and GPU, especially if we want to maintain high resolution.

I'd like the consoles to have a choice, it's one of the better things about the Pro. It can't hit 4k that often, definitely not 4k 60 very often, but it does let you choose if you want 60fps or a higher res. 

I'd take the same with the new one consoles. Turn off ray tracing and get higher resolution and better framerate. 

The quick explanation of ray tracing: as things stand reflections and shadows are either guessed at, pre drawn, or aren't fully rendered (screen space I.E. Only display what you can see as a player. Ray tracing mimics real light by bouncing off things, taking thair properties (shiny metal reflects more than stone), so reflections, shadows and lighting are more accurate 

16 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

No more must we suffer the injustice of weird reflections that change and cut off images of objects when you move the camera around. 

Thank God, those have been ruining videogames ever since Lara's first pointy adventure. I'd happily buy a new console every two years for better fake light.

I don’t like the way it looks or the size of it but I kind of like how crazy it is. 

If/when I get one that would have to sit next to the table my TV sits on 

I wonder if it’ll have a mega sized power cable as well

2 hours ago, Nag said:

If this thing puffs out as much hot air as it sounds like it's going to produce putting it in an entertainment centre would be suicidal in any case... the original Xbox One overheated on me when it was in my centre due to lack of ventilation, it's the reason both my consoles sit on top now.

They should make it cylindrical so it looks like it's tower heater, problem solved