passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

I am really looking forward to this update, but i am also oh so worried about it.

Its bigger than anything Microsoft have done before in terms of pressure on the network. Bigger than any game's launch as every xbox connected to live on wednesday will automatically have to download it... so firstly i imagine that if its a big file it will take forever or be plaqued with failures and errors.

My second worry is that.... no matter how much they have tested it.... as we have already seen with various games issues... due to the fact that there are so many variations of builds of the 360... this is inevitabily gonna cause some peoples 360's to litterally explode or something.

Dunno... i'm just pretty nervous about it all really as two weeks with out Gears 2 is not a laughing matter.

Cheers for the news. I guess I won't be signing in on Wednesday then, Thursday after work will do since alot of people might have the same Thurs morning idea.

It's not something I can say I'm looking forward too, it's just one of those things... it doesn't fix Castle Crashers as well does it?? :blink:

Anyone know how big its supposed to be?

I can't imagine it will be too big as it is supposed to fit on xboxes with out the hard drives.... so it flashes the internal memory or whatever.. so in theory should be pretty small, but then again its ALOT of stuff they are adding.

Bit gutted that the new party system does nothing more than allow up to four person voice chat (which is cool) and send multiple invites at once. I was hoping for a truely integrated party system. Still most decent games have that built in these days so not too bad.

My installation of the leaked version of the NXE is starting to get ready too - when I turn the console on, it tells me it needs to install an update for avatars and stuff, so I say yes, and it fails. Some people on GAF managed to find out that if you have a game that needs an update (It lets you do these, not console ones) and refuse it, it takes you back to a basic LIVE that lets you lay online and not much else. I'm gonna try this.

NXE is very good though, HD installs are a god send.

@ Jimbo - the actual dashboard is 7mb, but the avatar functionality is an 100mb download.

It's a good idea though. Imagine being stuck at work wanting to download a big demo. It goes live, you set it up to download, called the wife to turn the 360 on for 5 minutes so it starts the download, then get her to power it off. It does a background download and you don't have to wait for GB's of demos to download while you twiddle your thumbs (or penis) when you get home if you had to do it manually, it's a great idea.