passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mirror's Edge

retroed

I notice that Riva and stu (darkglobe80) have this now, review copies I'm guessing? I need to get in on that shit. I don't have this ordered (getting CoD and Banjo this week), but would like to hear some impressions other than the demo, as it's on my 'maybe' list.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its review code (suprised it came this early, FIFA 09 came about a week or so after release and Dead Space came on the Saturday after release iirc), its good, very good, but can be frustrating too.

I dunno wether its my controller or my reflexes being a bit slow today or what but sometimes Faith just wouldn't respond when I pressed LB to jump. I'm not too happy with it that particular command being up there anyhow so I might see if you can customise the controls and if it responds any better from there.

I agree with Riva there, it's frustrating at times but I think it's because it's so different, so fresh.

Some of the set pieces are stunning, the visual style of the main game is wonderful and the cut scenes are great.

All in all it's been a joy so far!

I do fear DICE have shot themselves in the foot with this.

As good as it is, the length of the game is putting people off until stores are selling it cheaper than £40, which is fair enough, I'm on Chapter 5 of 8, taking out trying to figure out certain elements in each level they don't take all that long to get through, I'm not sure the time trial elements would lend well to everyones tastes regarding replay value either. In short, its very short and very niche, yet DICE have claimed its been written as the first part of a trilogy whilst I believe EA are waiting to see how well it does at retail, so I'm beginning to think that maybe we won't see another game in the series as I don't think it'll sell as the gameplay deserves.

I do think its a good engine to maybe try and make a Matrix style FPS out of though.

Ive just started chapter four and I think ive been playing for about 3 or 4 hours.

So far im really impressed with it, its harder in parts than I thought it would be, but with all great games I always feel as though its down to my poor timing rather than a fault with the game. I still wouldnt say ive got into it well enough to go from a levels start right to the end without making a mistake or missing a part, Ive only done it once instinctively going the right way and taking the fastest routes to do it and was rewarded with the 'perfect flow' acheivement, which was probably the first time ive felt rewarded for getting an acheivement because it was like 'yeah I just did that bit so sweetly' and then up pops the thing....anyway..

Id definitely reccomend getting it, even if it means you are waiting for it to go cheap somewhere because im sure it will, because you get a real rush from doing it in some parts. Some levels are more typical puzzler platformer parts where its not built in a way that you can just see a clear route through (well maybe im just shit) but they seem to require you to have a nit of a think about it.

The controls are quite good, well mapped out considering how important it is to this kind of game. They are built in a way where you will have to think about what you press but also so with a bit of practise you can do some really cool moves (I got the martial artist acheivement for acrobatically taking out some guards), but its not like SSX on the Wii where you end up doing stuff by mistake by kind of wildly having a mess around with the buttons as thats not likely to turn out well in Mirrors Edge.

So those are my impressions so far, there have been one or two really mind blowing moments (theres an office chase...sounds crap but its not) and im looking forward to those becoming more frequent as the game goes on.

Double post but it actually warrants a second one..

The Fenchurch T-shirt that comes with the game is fucking sweet and I would honestly pay up to 20 quid for it in a shop, I will do a photo....its wicked - best free gift EVOR.

Finally got around to playing the demo, seems pretty good and i could see myself playing through it (though im far from gushing about it like in the other thread). The thing I dont like is the timing of jumps and the lack of control in the air. I had to repeat some fairly simple jumps early on because i wasnt leaping from the very edge, due to not being able to see the edge. The fps view is a nice idea and everything, but its why fps games tend not to have platform sections, and when they do, why they're shit. Also i missed some pipes to grap because i was a bew cms out and faith cant open her arms out and grap hold of things that arent directly infront of her.

when it all works its pretty good though, maybe paint her blue and make a sonic game out of this

Hmm.... I'm really not too sure about this.

Played 3 levels and it seems ok but quite frustrating if you lose your way. Not as much fun as I had hoped so far. Fairly repatative, not too clear what you have to do, especially when surrounded by ppl shooting at you, often you don't get time to look! Back to Banjo Kazooie...

After bitching about Edge giving low scores, maybe a 7?

It is really clever, no two ways about it but I'm not sure if its actually fun... I'll give it more time over the weekend and we'll see, currently thinking it will likely go back, which I'm sad about.

I was loving it to start with but then it kinda just stays the same...

I think that once you get used to blasting through levels, trying to improve times might be good, I don't have time for that unfortunatrly though, I have to choose my games wisely...

just want to issue an apology for my behaviour today, i know its childish, and i should know better.

I'm blaming my bi-polar medication, honestly i'm not drunk, i'm a 28 year old woman, is it a crime that i like to go out for a drink every so often.

actually i am an alcoholic.

sorry again

Love Kerry Katona

i meant jimbo

i think it's great, just finished the single player on easy and (apart from a few bits where i couldn't figgure out where to go next and some bits where you have to fight but i kept trying to run through and was dying a lot) it's awesome to the max. the music is great and the graphics are stunning, in more of a design way than like gow though. think i enjoyed it so much because it's such a fresh experience, hard to explain but its like the thrill you get from it, especially the more fast running parts, didn't like the more puzzle like sections as much.

tried the first 2 timetrials too and can imagine they could become quite addictive.

it's pretty short though so i don't blame anyone wating till it's cheap to pick it up.

I had to repeat some fairly simple jumps early on because i wasnt leaping from the very edge, due to not being able to see the edge. The fps view is a nice idea and everything, but its why fps games tend not to have platform sections, and when they do, why they're shit.

you need to spend more time jumping about in halo, like some people :unsure:

Got it and played it for a bit, I'm on chapter 5 and when i'm not cursing my own parsnip fingers I'm really enjoying it. The thrill of succesfully going from A to B flawlessty running, jumping, wall kicking your way is amazing. Unfortunatly it doesn't happen as much as I'd like because I'm still getting my buttons mixed up, it's taking me longer to get used to the shoulder button layout than I thought.. and I keep hitting the slow down time button when I mean to disarm. <_<

When it all goes right it's fantastic, it's such a fresh experiance because there is nothing quite like it but it just has the odd crappy combat section but pros outweigh the cons by far.

Yeah i know what you mean.

Sometimes i get the flow just right, but more often than not ill spaz out and press the spin around button and see myself tumbling to the ground.

I am enjoying it though. Its a pretty chilled game to play and looks nice and vibrant and there are some great visuals. Its just a shame that the story isn't as good as it could have been.