passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Watchmen Movie

Jimboxy

Erm, I've just read that the

ending's been changed for the movie. Apparently they've removed the Squid to make the ending more mainstream and less out there. WTF!? I dunno what they'll replace it with that doesn't completely miss the point of the ending? I guess they could've been bullshitting at test screenings with fake endings to hide what the real ending is gonna look like, but I'm worried now.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a free (supposed) ltd edition DVD with SCIFI now magazine that has a load of Watchmen stuff on it - production diaries, trailers, film clips, Zack Snyder interview.

Im not that bothered about watching or keeping it - anyone want it?

• 3 weeks later...

What with all the hype about the film and the game just out, I'm thinking about reading the book/comic/graphic novel/whatever you want to call it.

As I'm nowhere close to a comic book nerd, would I enjoy it? Would I miss out on the references? I heard that it was originally meant to be based on proper DC characters but DC got cold feet so they had to make their own. I assume that one is meant to be Batman and the other DarkMan? Without getting into spoiler territory, what's big thing with the story? Is it like a Bioshock-esque twist?

I'm not really a comic book nerd either, in fact Watchmen was my first Western comic book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, couldn't put it down in fact and intend on reading it again when I finally finish Anthony Keidis' autobiography.

The plot has alot going on as it follows numerous different characters all within the same time frame, has a mini story about pirates plus alot of retrospective stuff, both about the main characters and those that inspired them (within the world Moore and Gibbons created).

It was great! Lived up to the book mostly. I miss some of the subtext though - the impending nuclear war is never made as impending as it is the book, so it loses some of it's depressingness. The directors cut NEEDS the newsvendor scenes.

I dont know why I'm surprised but the film hasnt been scoring too well in reviews. A few people have been saying that it kind of glosses over plot points so you miss their relevance unless you've read the book. Might be better on DVD (might be good anyway), hopefully so as I kind of want teh B1U3R4YZ

I dont know why I'm surprised but the film hasnt been scoring too well in reviews. A few people have been saying that it kind of glosses over plot points so you miss their relevance unless you've read the book. Might be better on DVD (might be good anyway), hopefully so as I kind of want teh B1U3R4YZ

The bad reviews make no sense. If you like the book, you'll like the movie. It basically is just he book,with a few omissions and a new ending that keeps the same moral dilemma. Fact. It's not as good as the book, obviously, but as a film adaption, it's spot on.

i saw it yesterday and thought it was amazing. Saw it with three others who haven't read the book and they thought it was great as well. I agree with David that it does miss the subtext, and it has got a few ommisions, but i genuinely think it is the best movie they could have made. TBH the new ending kinda makes more sense than the original ending anyway.

I was looking back over the book last night, and there is so much of it thats scene for scene in the film, it is really quite impressive.

I read the book again after I saw the film - it's better the second time round. The book is just a joy to read, the further and further you get through it the little bits of isolated information all comes together brilliantly.

I also completely understand now why they did the new ending. I was trying to explain the book's ending to my girlfriend who hasn't read the comic, and I realised just how silly it sounds. However, it's just a better ending IMO, with so much character to it. The 6 full spreads of art after the squid attack is so harrowing and brilliant.

The film is as good as it could be, and I'm glad it is good, brilliant even, but nothing can beat the comic I don't think.

I just watched it, feel sick from the popcorn coz the manager spiked it or something. Bleugh.

Quite liked it, felt that it dragged on a bit tho

But the action scenes were really good.

Not sure about Mr. Manhattens cock hanging out all the time tho.