passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

*nix

Oliath

Thanks guys.

Ubuntu 8.10 released today.

I would say that if you were thinking of taking the plunge then NOW is the time to do so.

This release has been built with desktops in mind and is significantly faster than previous iterations.

It also has a much more sleek interface and a multitude of other options to make usage more familiar to

people coming from other OS's.

Its VERY easy to install.

You go to the website, download the distribution, burn it to a CD.

You can then boot from the CD and launch the LIVE version.

LIVE versions mean you can preview and test the OS without touching your computer at all. Its a bit slower than

a true install but at least you can see if you like it.

It also allows you to make bootable USB versions.... so that you can stick the USB into ANY computer you have

access too and boot your own OS from that!!! This is seriously powerful as its essentially your PC in your pocket.

You just borrow someone elses machine for a bit.

Full install allows you to safely partition your HD so you can dual boot your own machine.

I love it!

• 1 year later...

*gets defibrillator out of the cupboard* *ZAPPPP!!!* and this thread is back to life.

So i've decided to plunge myself into the world of linux and ubuntu (not

<_< ). Partially because it seems like an interesting challenge, and also because i think it'll make me more employable.

Ages ago i imstalled ubuntu on my laptop on so its dual boot, until yeaterday i had never used it. For some reason when i set it up i used a password i never normally use so i couldn't get in. After a bit of googling i found you can reset passwords via the "shell root". Even doing that filled me with some sort of odd geek pride, there is nothing more satisfying then putting in a incoherent stream of command text and it achieving what you wanted it to do.

The online support is fantastic, mainly because the community is massive. I've also found a really good, free book/PDF thats basically linux for dummies.

I use ubuntu all the time, more than windows as i've got it on my netbook which is always with me, it is awesome, though i have recently had a little niggle with open office/word and using documents between the 2. I do like installing from the repos though for programs, using synaptic which has a list of alll the programs you can use is a lot easier than trawling the net for the right windows exe.

If you use google docs/google mail/facebook/twitter jimbo, check out a programs called prism, it just adds a desktop icon, which takes you into a limited web page just for that application, less memory/cpu use plus it's awesome

I think to install if from the terminal it's

sudo apt-get install prism-facebook prism-twitter for the facebook and twitter clients

• 3 years later...

*rise from the dead*

So, I left the world of Windows cold turkey back in October of this year. I "upgraded" to Windows 8 from Windows 7 in early October. I use the word upgraded loosely, because in my hands on time it seemed like a big step backwards and one big cluster fuck. I will admit, I was nervous wreck for the first two weeks running a Ubuntu only machine. While I do miss things like official Adobe support, Multisim and Autodesk programs - I do not miss the headache that was Windows. Yes, I will admit most of programs in the Ubuntu Software Center are utter crap and not very user friendly. Also Ubuntu spell checker seems to want to correct my American English to British English. There are some bright spots with the likes of LibreOffice (also on Windows), Inkscape, Mixx and MyPaint. I'm also in love with the Banshee Media Player, by far one of the best media players I have ever used. I'm surprised is not the default music player in Ubuntu.

Hopefully, with the April release of Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) more mainstream developers like Adobe and Autodesk will start to release native Linux programs. Valve is on board with the Steam client and hopefully more follow. So far Ubuntu has been great to me and I kind of laugh when I think back to those first two weeks of being bat-shit scared of not having my Windows crutch to lean on. Great all around OS that can only get better with time ..... hopefully that will be ver. 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) this April.

*rise from the dead*

Also Ubuntu spell checker seems to want to correct my American English to British English.

Sounds like its working correctly then.

I've been running Ubuntu on and off for about 4 years. It is really good, mostly. I do sometime get sick of it though and just want something more polished.

I just found which cellphone PV will buy next time he needs to upgrade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-20891868

That is one sexy phone!! Me want!!

Also, Since I last posted on this thread on New Years Eve I have found out that two of my classes will require me to run software that only runs on Mac or Windows ...... dual booting Windows 8 I guess. Stupid college work making me use Microsoft products.

@ Jimbo

No. We Americans fixed and improved the English language and It's about time you guys got with the program.

Tried to import my music off of Amazon and onto my HDD, so I can play the music through Banshee. Turns out Amazon like to discriminate against Linux users and blocks any attempt to download music or films to a Linux machine.

:mellow: Fuck you Amazon ....... Fuck you.

This thread should just be renamed the Ubuntu Thread.

Anyway, the source code for the Ubuntu Phone OS will be release to the public sometime in February. The downloadable image will only work on Samsung Galaxy Nexus. This ill not be the final version of the OS, think of it more as a beta release.

:weep: Still I'm sad that the image won't support the LG Motion 4G ..... and Metro PCS does not have the Galaxy Nexus in it inventory of phones. Wonder if Metro PCS will be a supplier of the final version of the Ubuntu Phone.

http://www.omgubuntu...y-late-february

• 1 month later...

Steam for Linux is out of beta and is now available to install on Ubuntu directly from the Ubuntu Software Center in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. Also there is a sale (50-80%) on all Linux games on Steam. The sale runs till the 21st.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/steam-added-to-ubuntu-software-center-celebrates-with-big-sale

• 2 weeks later...

SuperTuxKart!! SuperTuxKart!! You Play SuperTuxKart!! SuperTuxKart!! ..... That little girl has an amazing future in the sale and marketing in industry.

Also, SuperTuxKart now has WiiMote support and has been named SourceForge project of the month. The developer also revealed two new game modes soccer and easter egg hunt, which will come in a future update.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KRkUh1zW6A0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/supertuxkart-devs-demo-wiimote-support

• 1 month later...