passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

*nix

Oliath

In an attempt to become more familiar under the hood of Linux i have decided to torture myself by installing Ubuntu on my laptop.

Anyone on here done something equally as stupid?

I already know it's going to involve major tweaks to get everything working the way it should, but think that the best way to learn is by throwing myself in at the deep end.

Aaaahhhh crap

Well that's not very reassuring for me from someone in IT lol.

Is there any reason?

Could it be because everything seems so damned fiddly.... like to just get my wifi card to work i am having to work out the model, find some drivers for it... but even then its not just a case of download and install!! I have to compile them THEN install them and THEN edit shit in a text editor!!!

you've pretty much got it in one there! Its to much like hard work. There is a reason it is free and you have to pay for Windows/OSX.

We have some Linux servers at work, i don't touch them as there completely line command driven, they don't even have a GUI. And it isn't obvious line commands like DOS, its obscure and doesn't make sense.

i use linux,but only coz it comes already installed on my eee.it is a bit of a headache to use,no way near as simple as windows,and having to install everything from the console is a bit much...having said that though,it's very satisfying when everything eventually works,but maybe that's the geek in me speaking :)

Tried it, didn't like it.

I'm with Jimbo - there's a reason that Windows is really popular and that's because you don't need to fiddle to get it to work.

I have got mates that are like picks in that once you've got it set up it runs like a dream and it's very powerful, but it's not for me.

tried one of the "easy to use" versions a whie back, mandrake i think, and it proved to be far from easy to use, did come with a free version of sokoban, which was good. occasionally used red hat at uni and that was much better but that was only because someone had already set it up!

not for me either.

Well i got ubuntu up and running and spent fucking ages trying to get usb to work and stupid things like fan drivers etc.

Luckily the internet helped loads and there was a guide that took me through it all for my specific machine which was handy.

Its very nuts and bolts though.

I can't ever imagine being able to do anything in it if the internet didn't exist to help out!

There are some great things on it though. Good mp3 players, video players, office suite... pretty much all the tools you would expect and the support is WAY better than on a paid OS!

Also i noticed that there are updates pretty much twice a day!

Anything that has a bug one day will most likely be fixed up very quickly as its all open source so thats kind of impressive too.

Bottom line though... i agree with you guys.... paid for OS's are WAY more usable.

I rekon i would come unstuck if i relied on this as my only computer, but as a way to revive some life back into a crappy old machine its actually not that bad.

I keep meaning to get myself a whole new PC and strip this heap of shit out and build one from scratch to get up on that side of things, and then install some Linux/Free BSD OS's just to have a play around with, but no, wouldn't use it as a main rig at all.

In six days a new version is released which is supposed to be even more user friendly so might be worth waiting till then!

In the mean time... FUCKED up my install by trying to install windows on another partition...DOH.

Any one have a clue how to install windows from a USB stick??

I can boot the machine from a correctly formatted USB stick fine and i have a windows install CD, but its the part about getting the windows installer onto the stick that is stumping me.

Its all good though as before today i was a simple OSX boy... but now i have taked this machine to bits... put in new RAM following a youtube video, installed Ubuntu about fifty times ha ha.

If you get stuck at any point Jimbo give me a shout and i'll try and help. Might have come unstuck in the same bits.....

It was with windows.

I sorted it though. Just had to download some drivers from the laptop manufacturers website and now its all good.

Also finally managed to get a dual boot of XP and Ubuntu up and runnin.

Made a third... larger partition on the HD in Fat32 which i am hoping i can use as a shared media drive between the systems so it sources music and movies from that.... works in windows, but cant get it to auto mount in desktop in Umbungo... only through the command line.....

Time for some more googling.

Ok new question... this time about windows.... but ill keep it in the same thread as its on the same computer.

What is a good... non intrusive... anti virus package (free) to use on windows?

Is there any other security stuff i should install?

I am used to OSX which is pretty secure at the moment so have never had to worry about spyware and all that stuff so could use some advice from seasoned windows users.

Ok new question... this time about windows.... but ill keep it in the same thread as its on the same computer.

What is a good... non intrusive... anti virus package (free) to use on windows?

Is there any other security stuff i should install?

Anti-Virus: Avira AntiVir Personal

Firewall: Comodo Firewall Pro

Anti-Spyware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware | Ad-Aware 2008 | Spybot Search & Destroy

My setup. I also use CCleaner to keep things tip-top, and Spyware Doctor runs in the background. :)

google tools has spyware doctor in it for free, top quality free spyware action, iused to use zonealarm as a firewall, til i realised how much of a resource hog it it, if you connect through a router then there should be a firewall built into it, other than that everything that ed's said. Also registry mechanic is a useful program to have