passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The A-Z Music Challenge

DANGERMAN

I noticed today (inspired by another forum) whilst scrolling through my media player library that I had a band for every letter except V. I do own a couple of V bands, I've got a Vast album somewhere and a Verve album on cassette, but nothing on my hard-drive bar 'Various Artists - O' Brother Where art Thou'. I set about finding a V band and came accross (the first band I sampled) Victory At Sea, who it turns out are pretty fucking good! I'm still missing an X, but I'm sure i've got one somewhere to fill that

2 thoughts occurred to me though, does everyone else have the full alphabet? So i was going to start a thread with an A-Z list

Armor For Sleep

Bon Iver

Crippled Black Phoenix

Depeche Mode

Everclear

Frightened Rabbit

Glassjaw

Headswim

I Am Kloot

Jakob

Kerbdog

Low

Mono

Nina Simone

Other Passengers

Part Chimp

Queens of the Stoneage

Robocop Kraus, The

Silver Mt. Zion

This Will Destroy You

Unkle

Victory At Sea

Wilt

Xiu Xiu

Yo La Tengo

Zwan

Reckon we can keep adding without repeating any?

The second thought that popped into my head was, finding a V turned out pretty well for me, so over the next year/few months (depending how it goes and spare money) I'm going to try to find new bands to fill a new A-Z of bands I've discovered... or will discover, whichever is the correct way to word that.

Hmm i may have to have a look...Does it have to be a band or can it be solos?

A

Bullet For My Valentine

CKY

D12

Elliot Minor

Flyleaf

Gym Class Heroes

H.I.M.

I Set My Friends On Fire

Jack Penate

Killswitch Engage

Linkin Park

Mindless Self Indulgence

Nine Inch Nails

Offspring

Papa Roach

Queen

Rage Against The Machine

System Of A Down

Three Doors Down

Usher

Verve, The

Weezer

X Japan

Yung Joc

and i dont have a Z :(

Hmm i may have to have a look...Does it have to be a band or can it be solos?

Anyone that's released an album as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure whether to include comedians, but they do release albums I guess. The one rule I will stick to is that you can't use your own band if you happen to be in one

Also hinn, I Set My Friends On Fire is a great band name, I'll give them a listen EDIT: :lol: I like them, their a bit like Fantomas and put a big smile on my face with the first song i heard. They might be my new I :)

Ashtray Hearts, The

Buena Vista Social Club

Cornelius

Death From Above 1979

Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, The

For Carnation, The

Gwildor

Handsome Family, The

Iron & Wine

Jurassic 5

Kleptons, The

Lemon Jelly

Me First & The Gimme Gimmies

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Orzelda

Primus

errrrr, only got Queen and QOTSA

Raveonettes, The

Sly Mongoose

Twilight Sad, The

Uncle Tupelo

VAST

Whale

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Zwan

Good thread...

Aim

Black Sheep

Cypress Hill

Dialated Peoples

Edan

Funkdoobiest

Genius/GZA

Heart

Immortal Technique

Jeru The Damaja

KRS-One

Living Colour

Mobb Deep

Nas

Ol'Dirty Bastard

Pharoahe Monche

Quanum

RJD2

Smif-N-Wessun

Tajai

UMC's

Vince Di Cola

Wu-Tang Clan

Xzibit

Yaida Hitomi

ZZ Top

I notice Zwan is already used twice!

Thing is, when I lost everything thanks to my old forgetable laptop I have never got round to ripping all my albums again so my harddrive is a little scarce. Anyway this is a few that I have access too.

Asobi Seksu

Blur

CSS

Down

Foals

Gorillaz

Howling Bells

Kings of Leon

LCD Soundsystem

My Bloody Valentine

Nine Inch Nails

Outkast

Pulp

Queens of the Stone Age

Rapture, The

Sonic Youth

Vek, Tom

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I'm sure I could fill in the gaps. And yes I realise that I reapeated, must get more of my albums on iTunes. <_<

• 1 month later...

Add N To X

Black Box Recorder

Cinerama

dEUS

Evil Superstars

Future Sound Of London

Gerling

Hole

Interpol

JJ72

Kruder Dorfmeister

Looper

MC Solaar

Nightmares On Wax

Orb

Primal Scream

Ride

Stereolab

Tindersticks

Ultrasound

Von Blondies

Whiteout

XCNN

• 3 weeks later...

man JJ72 I havent heard them in years, the bassist was stunning much better looking that the forum bassist

Anyway since posting last time I've added a few to my new list (bands ive never heard/owned before A-Z).

Arto Lindsay - mixed reactions to this, some of it is brilliant, some of it is pretty poor. It does get better the more I listen to it, which I shall do more of. (he's the guy that did the Counting the Roses track from one of the music podcasts btw)

Dears, The - Not sure where I picked this up from but I know a few of the tracks on it, so either they're heavily played on 6 music, had a few tracks on adverts, or the mate I got it off has played them to me before

Elliot Smith - I'm sure everyone else knows him but other than hearing the name I was completely ignorant. great stuff, more the kind of thing I'd write than listen to (acoustic guitar and stripped down vocals) and i'm loving it

Kenji Ito (Piano Works)- Game music as a result of the podcast. Some of it is absolutely beautiful

Monotonix (Body Language) - Courtesy of my brother who went to see them tonight. Better live than on record seemingly, but it's still good stuff and my previous comment probably does them a diservice as judging by my brothers reaction and the youtube clips I've watched they are awesome live. Crazy dirty rock music :)

Regina Spektor (Begin to Hope) - Thanks to Adam & Joe (again I think this is on an advert too). I'm not sure where to place this, I find a lot of female artists tend to be comparable, either because of their influences or because that's why they were signed, and Spektor fits that bill. She's kooky and quirky, but not as full on as someone like Joanna Newsom, there's elements of Cat Power in her voice etc. It's good and i'm glad I got it but it's worrying me that it might all be a bit contrived (no offence to her) but heavily played female 'folk' artist are rarely what they seem

Squarepusher (Just A Souvenir) - Not what I was expecting, very different from what I'd previously heard from him. This is supposedly his attempt at recreating a band sound, I'm not sure what I think yet, but I only got it at the weekend so I'll give it more time

and after struggling to find a U last time I found 2 within a day of each other (well bought one was sent another)

Uh Huh Her (Common Reaction) - Little bit disappointed in this in so far as i'm not sure when I'll ever listen to it. It's very poppy and girly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and at its best is like Garbages poppier stuff. It's a good album, or it seems it so far, it's just not quite to my tastes.

Ulli Bogershausen (Personal Favourites) - I assume this is a best of. It's instrumental arpeggio guitar and for the most part it's very good. There's a cover of Elenor Rigby on there which I think is being played arpeggio on a 12 string (which i used to have and do, but this sounds waaaayyyy better than the stuff i tried). Basically he's like a guitar teacher that has released an album, and while you suspect he's a smug cunt you cant help but admire his skills (Ulli may or may not be a cunt, i was talking more about my old guitar teacher)

So far I've not found anything I hate, or even particularly dislike, but after the awesomeness that was my random purchase of Victory at Sea, there's only really The Dears and Elliot Smith that come close, and even then they dont excite me the way V@S do/did. Still 18 letters to go though and i need to pick through other peoples lists to see if there's anything on there worth nabbing :)

Good thread...

Aim

Black Sheep

Cypress Hill

Dialated Peoples

Edan

Funkdoobiest

Genius/GZA

Heart

Immortal Technique

Jeru The Damaja

KRS-One

Living Colour

Mobb Deep

Nas

Ol'Dirty Bastard

Pharoahe Monche

Quanum

RJD2

Smif-N-Wessun

Tajai

UMC's

Vince Di Cola

Wu-Tang Clan

Xzibit

Yaida Hitomi

ZZ Top

I notice Zwan is already used twice!

haha I thought this would be easy but now I've seen your list it's going to be hard to not repeat. Here goes ...

Apathy

Biz Markie

Copywrite

Defari

Ed OG

Foreign Beggars

Ghostface Killah

Heltah Skeltah

Isis

Jemini The Gifted One

KMD

Lakim Shabazz

Master Ace

Nice n Smooth

Organised Konfuzion

Poor Righteous Teachers

Queen Latifah

RA The Rugged Man

Steady B

Tame One

Ultramagnetic MCs

Viktor Vaughn

Wordsmith

X-ecutioners

YZ

Zion I

Too hard to not repeat:

Audioslave

Bloc Party

(the) Cure [Fuck off im counting that - if not then Counting Crows]

David Gray

Editors

Friendly Fires

Guillemots

Hot Chip

Interpol

Joan Osbourne

(the) Kills

Late of the Pier

Mr Hudson and the Library

No Doubt

Ok Go

(the) Police

Queens of the Stone Age

Roxy Music

Silversun Pickups

Terra Naomi

U2

V..........vanilla sky soundtrack is the best I can do

We are scientists

X.....Just dont own anything with an X

Yeah yeah yeahs (because they are good, I could say Yellowcard, i think ive got an album on mini disc somewhere)

Z Ive got a real gem for Z: Zero Seven - a really great chilled out sound.

Ok, cant beleive I did it, apart from X, which i need to find a band for now.

ok lets give this a bish bash, can i not repeat anything else anyone has said?

Air

Ben Folds Five

Cut Chemist

Dire Straits

Electric Six

Flight of the Conchords (if comedy bands don't count then, Flaming Lips)

Graham Coxon

Hot Chip

Ian Brown

(the)Jesus and Mary Chain

Kiss

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Millencolin

N*E*R*D (best i could do for n :S)

Oasis

Pixies

Queens of the Stone age (repeat, sorry)

Run DMC

(the) Shins

Team Sleep

Uematsu Nobuo (composer)

Veruca Salt

William Shatner

X

Y

The Zutons

Almost, don't think i have any X's or Y's of the top of my head..

The ideal would be to not repeat any, I'm really surprised how difficult it is. illdog and Jay aside we've all got overlaps in our music tastes. I wasn't that surprised that X was difficult to find bands for, but Q, U, V and Z took me a bit by surprise.

I bought another couple of bands to add to my new list at the weekend (I got a 3rd to but it's an M which i've already got)

Blueneck - Scars of the Midwest: Gloomy post rock from the greatest island on the planet, Britain. They are a bit of a cross of Godspeed! (with the gloom and samples) and Other Passengers (vocals). It's a brilliant album, I moaned last time I posted about not falling for anything from what I'd bought for this new set, this album puts that right big time.

God is an astronaut - Not actually out yet I dont think, but you can buy it from their myspace page. Kind of like Explosions in the Sky at their most energetic, although some of their tracks have a wider sound than EITS. Another good album though, but I was trying not to just fall into buying the same types of albums as I have for the past few years, I need to broaden my tastes a bit