passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pre-owned Games

HandsomeDead

This mostly applies to buying second-hand off eBay or Amazon. You can see what you get in a shop.

I have in my possesion a copy of Metal Arms. I bought it from Amazon with the description 'Pre-owned, game, box and manual in very good condition'. What I got was a grubby box with spillages on which I shudder to think what the substance is, a fraid manual and the bit that holds the disc in is broken.... And it smells funny.

In all fairness, the disc is in good nick and I'm far too British to send it back.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to find decent pre-owned games, the seller I used had about 96% posative feedback so I thought they would be cool. I usually just deal with new games cos I'm a picky fucker so I just wonder if anyone knows better places to go or something?

I heart pre-owned games, but am really OCD when it comes to the packaging. It has to be in good nick. Last time I bought a pre-owned game (Halo 3), I looked through the boxes on the shelf for the best one (This is embarrassing), which normally works if they keep the disc and manual in the drawer and give you the box you got off the shelf with it.

This time however, I go up with a good box (This was GAME btw) and they take the box, go into the drawer and give me a shitty presealed by GAME one with disc already inside. I figured it'd be OK, but then I get home, take it out the bag, and holy shit. The plastic was cracked behind the front box art, the clear cover of the sleeve was grimy and sticky (GAME's shitty seal made it worse when I removed it), and then somehow the cover and sleeve at the spine was ripped. It annoys me. The disc was fine though.

So yeah, you can get good copies if you go to Gamestation, where I think they keep all the discs in drawers so you can get the box in the best condition. Online, I don't think you can guarantee quality at all, so a shop is probably better.

I figured a shop would be better but where I live the nearest Game/Gamestation is about the size of my cupboard and online is the only time I can get more hard to get hold of games, all there is in thier pre-owned section is pure tat.. I guess I'll have to live with it... Or move into a proper town.

I think I might stick to eBay, atleast some provide a picture.

I just thought they might of been some Aladdins Cave of decent pre-owned games somewhere. I mean it's not hard to look after them. :rolleyes:

Does Cumbria have a CEX? They're a haven for some good stuff.

No, I visit Carlisle quite alot which is the only city in Cumbria and they don't have one so I doubt no-where else would. Just checked their website, Doncaster or Newcastle seems to be the nearest. :rolleyes:

Might try out their online service next time though.

i only tend to buy pre owned games from stores themselves or of ebay.

Store normally take in good quality ones, but i always check afterwards on the case, manual and disk. Usually they sort smething out for you.

Ebay is more risky, but u normally find things cheaper on there

So its like save bit more money for a bit less quality.

Ive said this before, but i dont understand how people manage to get these games in such bad condition. I have the original Castlevania on the NES that i bought myself in 1988 when i was 11 and its still in fucking perfect condition.

I was bumming around in Gamestation a few years back and took advatage of their 4 for £20 deals on PS2, cant remember all four games now but one of them was Psi-Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy. Didnt really check the box they gave me untill i got home, but the PS2 label at the top of the spine had been ripped off, there was pen on the back cover and a hair between the plastic on the case and the cover. wtf? I suppose it was some little kid but you cant blame all fucked up second hand games on gelflings.

And no PTG, ive still not played it.

End of the day, if i buy from Ebay its gotta be pictures, if i cant see what im getting i dont buy it, i learnt that with Lemmings on the GameGear (half eaten manual, box looked like Time Team found it) and if i buy in Game or GS and they give me a shitty box im like 'Hells no, you best give me a better box girlfriend or im a whoop you UPSIDE the head, dont think i wont'.

So push for yours.

Anyway, with the bargains you can get these days there's almost no need to buy second hand.

Come to Blackpool for the day - we got a Game and a Gamestation (both pretty big) next door to each other almost

I agree with Illdog, if someone game me a shitty box for my game id say take that filth back and stop trying to give me something that YOU wouldnt take back in trade when the game isnt as popular!

And in regards to Ebay-

I always use Ebay but 96% rating isnt that great on there - theres always lots of people that are 99 - 100 % and these you should buy from

and check here:

http://www.gameplay.co.uk/

can often bag a bargain

oh and there's always Ed's Super Deals!

I think I'll just stick to new ones when I'm ordering online. It's just that I couldn't find a new copy of Metal Arms for love nor money so I settled with what looked like a good deal.

Last time I traded in some games the girl behind the counter asked how I kept them in good condition. I just said I don't know how everyone else gets them in bad condition, I don't really do anything.