passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Phone Games & Apps

Hendo

The game Edge has been pulled due to some truly disgusting lawsuit action.

Mobigame’s award-winning iPhone game Edge has been removed from the App Store, pending a legal battle with Tim Langdell over the trademark “Edge.” What’s troubling is that, according to a GameSetWatch article by Simon Carless, Langdell, who founded and owns the company Edge Games, has had a history of using his trademark to cause creators grief and to link himself with various high-profile media projects, including, but not limited to, games.

“We have legal issues with a man named Tim Langdell,” says Mobigame’s David Papazian. “If you already asked why Soul Edge (the Namco game) was called Soul Blade and later Soulcalibur in the US, you have your answer.” (via Fingergaming)

If you look on Tim’s Wikipedia page, you’ll notice that he is associated with Edge Magazine, a Malibu Comics character named Edge, and also the movie The Edge, starring Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. What Tim actually did on any of these projects is questionable, but my guess would be that it’s about as much work as he will do for Edge, the iPhone game, once all the dust settles. Namely, he threatened to sue the living fuck out of anyone in his path (mind you, this is conjecture).

You may also notice that the Wikipedia entry is oddly detailed and poorly cited for a man who no one has really given a shit about until now… it’s also under a neutrality dispute. And no wonder – the entire page is almost single-handedly the creation of user Cheridavis, who, very coincidentally, shares the name of Tim’s wife, Cheri Davis Langdell. When pressed on the issue of neutrality, Cheridavis wrote: “You are mistaken. I am writing a book on founding members of the game industry and noticed that Tim Langdell was one of the only people missing from Wikipedia. The article I created is based on my research, not on being Tim Langdell or knowing him personally.” That would be Tim Langdell, the husband of Cheri Davis Langdell, the founder of the game industry, the producer of such notable titles as Fairlight and Snoopy: The Case of the Missing Blanket, and the man who gave these three roundtables at GDC this year:

- Who Controls a Game’s IP and Who Reaps the Financial Benefit?

- How to Design Your Game So That its IP is More Valuable to Hollywood

- How to Sell Your IP to Hollywood (Without Selling Your Soul)

If you’re wondering where Simon’s article for GSW went, it is, for whatever reason (heh), not available anymore. Unless you go to NeoGAF or any of the other places the article has been reposted. And if, after reading this, you’re wondering, like I was, about Mirror’s Edge, you’ll be happy to note that Mr. Langdell’s EDGE Games is currently working on a new game called “Mirrors a game from Edge,” which I’m sure will not conflict in any way with the popular parkour-inspired FPS.

Jokes aside, the most frightening thing about this entire debacle is not how greedy and disingenuous human beings can be (you should be used to it by now), but that Mr. Greedyguts himself is a board member on the IGDA, a non-profit organization created to empower game developers and advocate on their behalf. Which is, in this author’s distinct opinion and should in no way be construed as a fact, somewhat like having Joseph Mengele on the board of the Red Cross. It’s absolutely fucking ridiculous and brings the credibility of the organization to serious question. How does this happen and what are they going to do about it?

More here, which includes the man himself in the comments section.

I think we can all agree the man is a prize cunt.

what an original concept, cynical reviews of technology..

Are you been mean about Ashens? :angry: Have you seen the technology he normally reviews?

nope, just this one. What does he normally do?

::EDIT:: watched some more, going to stand by my original statement.

Me and a mate have been throwing ideas round for apps, with the idea to take the plunge and make one. Apparently the dev kit is really cheap, in fact I think he has one.

The one I want to make is most likely not possible, but does anyone know if Apple allow you pull basic info and stats from your device's usage?

Got 3.0 finally working, took its sweet time though.

Some nice touches but not a massive change. Copy and motherfucking paste, that's all I care about.

Downloaded TweetDeck yesterday as well, seems to be the best Twitter app out there, and unlike Tweetie it's free.

Speaking of which, anyone who uses Twitter, try the full Tweetdeck for your computer - it's the ultimate in Twitter power!

i was thinking about the 3gs, seen as i don't currently have a iphone, do you think o2 will let me do the upgrade that 3g customers got last year, i.e upgrade to a iphone contract and start a new 18 month contract. I know they won't do this for existing iphone customers, but they might for non-iphone customers.

Remember that cock who was making that DS game about the Holocaust, started rumours that Nintendo had banned him from releasing it on their system and then made a big fuss that it shouldn't be a big deal that it was a game about the Holocaust and certainly wasn't a publicity stunt?

Remember he then made that game on PC that was also due on WiiWare, that got slagged to high heaven on Destructoid?

Remember him having a big meltdown?

Well, it appears he's back and now in the iPhone development world with Mecho Wars.

I think we can safely say it's an Advance Wars rip-off, so luckily I'm not even tempted to give it a go.

His art style is good though.

Also, Apple have denied a C64 app. :(

Mobile developer Manomio (of iPhone Flashback fame), together with Danish studio Kiloo Aps have crafted an eerily accurate simulacrum of the keyboard-equipped hardware on Apple's cellular device -- unfortunately, their submission of the app was recently shot down by the fruit-themed hardware juggernaut.

The legally licensed project (which has been in development for over a year) was denied due to a clause in the iPhone SDK agreement which states, "an Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means." As the program would allow users to "boot" C64 disks, it violates this clause -- then again, as mobile gaming news site Touch Arcade points out, a few iPhone apps do the same thing, such as Frotz, an app which loads and runs interactive novels.

Check it out here.

App rips off flOw

Anyone who's downloaded Ketera Software's Aquatica app for iPhone may have noticed a more than passing resemblance to thatgamecompany's flash and PlayStation 3 title, flOw. One person who's certainly taken notice is thatgamecompany co-founder Jenova Chen, who, on his Twitter page, recently accused the developers of Aquatica of using flOw's source code without permission.

"I released flOw source for people to learn. I didn't expect to see it on iPhone without quoting the creator," reads the Flower designer's Twitter. "I just gave out source for people who wants to learn Flash programming. However, according to them, they wrote it from scratch," he added.

When reached for additional comment, Jenova offered the following statement:

"The image and animation in Aquatica is almost identical to the original web game I created. I felt maybe they are one of the many who asked me for the flOw source code. But according to the comments the creator of the Aquatica made on the youtube, they didn't use my source code.

"Anyway, I always wanted to see the original flash version of flOw ported to iPhone one day. However, there are many legal issues with the flOw IP since Sony owns the rights to flOw PS3. Though we had many request for doing the port, we didn't end up pursuing it.

"I thought the creation of Aquatica is a very flattering thing because they mimic the game I created in the university and somewhat realized my dream for a flOw game on the iPhone. It could be a very sweet thing if they did this as a fan ware and put it out for free. But the fact they didn't mention flOw at all and call it a 'new, unique game completely in a class of its own' is disappointing."

It should be noted that Aquatica is currently free on the iPhone App Store, but only as part of a limited time promotion. The game's final price is yet to be revealed.

Ketera Software was also reached for comment, but has yet to respond. We'll be sure to update this story if they reach us later in the day, but until then, here's what they had to say about the accusations in the comments section of their YouTube trailer for Aquatica:

"Actually, all the source code is completely, 100% written from scratch. Please check your facts before you make such baseless accusations.

"Also, what's wrong with adapting a general idea of one game to the iPhone? No one had done this before, and we wanted to play it with tilt controls. In general, most games within each class are practically the same, just different graphics."

And then:

We got in touch with the folks at Ketera Software, and this is their side of the story:

"Aquatica was not built from the source code released by thatgamecompany. We can easily prove it by sending you, or anyone who requests it, any portion of our code to do any given task in the game, and the comparison should make it clear that our code was written completely from scratch. In fact, we were not even aware that the source code for flOw was released, and might release portions of our code, as well, to put to rest any speculation about copying the code.

"So to summarize, there was not a single line of code copied from the source code released by ThatGameCompany that is in Aquatica. We also apologize for not properly giving credit for the original idea of the game -- this has been fixed everywhere, including YouTube, iTunes, and our own site, though it will only show up on iTunes in several hours.

"We will also be contacting Jenova Chen personally."

As promised, where Ketera's Aquatica website once said, "From the makers of SpaceX, comes a new, unique game completely in a class of its own," it now reads, "Aquatica is an iPhone from-the-ground-up re-make of the famous flOw game created by Jenova Chen of the ThatGameCompany fame."

So what's the verdict? Harmless mistake, or deliberate attempt to cash in on someone else's ideas? Either way, it's a good thing this appears to have been resolved before it had the chance to get really ugly.

It's the same damn game! How they could've originally described it as "new, unique" I'll never know.

Anyway, it's free for the moment so grab it.

Who is playing Mafia Wars??

I need to recruit some players, trying to build my mafia up.

Anyone post there number?? will post mine as well, but phone in other room doh!

Also anyone else loose there Godfather points?? i had 17, 10 of which where free last friday and the ten disappeared yesterday :angry:

Sorry man, I've deleted my copy of Mafia Wars, I got bored in the end.

I've found my code though - 1000 3661 23

That should work if you put it in but I won't be able to do owt, mind you there's nothing you can do together anyway.

Just found this, 3 games from Tecmo, shockingly featuring girls not wearing many clothes.

Dead or Alive developer Tecmo has announced the launch of three new iPhone and iPod Touch games: Annie's Wild Shot, Rio BlackJack and Girls of DOA BlackJack: The Kasumi version.

Annie's Wild Shot is a 2D on-rails shooter set in the Wild West. You are "tomboy" heroine Annie and those dusty streets need cleaning. Annie's Wild Shot costs 59 pence until 9th July, after which the price settles at GBP 2.39. Looks fun.

Rio BlackJack and Girls of DOA BlackJack: The Kasumi Version are gambling card-games with girls in. Girls with not many items of clothing on, who are lounging languidly on beaches dressed in school clothes and other provocative ensembles.

Rio BlackJack and Girls of DOA BlackJack: The Kasumi version cost GBP 2.39 each.

I found a fun little game linked to from Eurogamer - DrawRace.

It's 59p and in my opinion is how you do racing games on the iPhone, you don't control in real time. It's a top-down game like Super Sprint and before the race starts you draw where you want the car to go and then the car will race the AI. Obviously, the AI car won't be affected by yours or vice versa but it's a visual way of showing the time trial.

You can also compete against people's ghosts, or play offline pass-the-phone multiplayer for 2 or 3 people.

Seems pretty good for 59p.

The same company are doing an XBLA game called Trials, and there's another game of theirs on the Store, looks good.

Yeah there's more challenge than there first appears as you have to learn the exact route that will be best, where to slow down and learning how to curve the route around so you get a smooth corner without slowing down.