passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Twitter

Hendo

Well if they're there who's gonna follow?

Serious note, what was good about Twitter is all kinds of people used it so you could get varied stuff.  If this exodus does happen it is gonna fragment social media and firing up different apps for different stuff sucks.  It's starting to bother me more than I thought it would.  F'sake Elon.

I feel like a lot of people are overly eager about jumping onto other networks. Like mastodon has been around a while, and seems like a relatively safe bet (not that it will ever get as big as twitter, due to its defederalized structure). But I've seen some sorts throw their details into things like 'cohost', and now 'hive' which apparently doesn't have 2fa and has issues with duplicate accounts (eek). These things seem very raw, like I wouldn't be that inclined about jumping on board and I'm surprised at the lists of names of people that do. Or throw a separate email at it at least to spare you the spam and details leakage that could occur, at the very least use a rando generated password.

just imo anyway

yeah. I'm slightly walking back my entirely dropping twitter. I use Talon on my phone, no adverts, no money for Elon, and I only see what I want to see. So I likely won't be posting on there but I can still use Twitter for what it's good for.

What we basically need is Twitter of about 10 years ago. As it is I'm on Mastadon, I'll post there, and keep an eye out to see which way the wind is blowing. I do think Twitter is kind of done though, certainly I don't want to be on there

I think newer Twitter rivals like Hive will have teething troubles naturally as folks flock there from Twitter, but I'd argue you're not really much better off on Twitter in regards to security with Elon at the helm, I read he fucked 2FA on there the other week and as more and more staff leave it leaves the site more vulnerable to cyber attacks. 

I wouldn't say I was overly eager either, I stayed reluctantly when Elon took over to see what would happen really and then as soon as he sacked most of the work force and then brought Trump back that was the final straw, I don't want to be on a platform that gives air to extremists like him and Andrew Tate.

I loved Twitter, I was on there 12 years an amassed a lot of followers which are now lost to the ether but it's time for a change. I really hope now that it dies or Elon fucks off.

Obviously everyone else is free to do as they please in regards to staying or going, I didn't feel right in my convictions staying.

Trump probably won't come back because he has too much stake in his own platform now and maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to hope his sycophants come over and... I dunno how to feel about that.  That kind of echo chamber could be a problem but I'm sure Trump hates Musk in the way he hates his own sons.  He's more of an old school ghoul.

It's just still way to early to be making any declarations.  I'm happy enough to move from Twitter once others are more established or the wheels completely fall off Twitter but I still have morbid curiosity around what's happening.  If it turns into a 4chan but mostly made up of paying weirdos then I'll be out for sure.

And Tate is a clown of a man, I'm still surprised he even became a thing.  Just dumb grandad shit for young men (and mostly boys I suspect and because of that I don't even think Twitter is a good platform for him) because anyone with an ounce of life experience knows he talks total shit.  Just a symptom of how atomised we all are now I guess.

From a security hygiene point twitter is probably bad right now yes, its volatility as a platform will probably grow into the next 6-9 months as the cracks appear. 

With Hive tho, it's apparently got an absolutely tiny dev team on it. Even by startup standards, it sounds very dinky. All I'd say is for a lot of these twitter alts popping up I wouldn't put main account details in them, personally. 

I don't think Trump will move because he's a vain man. Truth will be costing him a bomb but it's got him in it right up to the hilt, if you know what I mean? It basically exists because he was fucked off of Twitter and aside from Truth collapsing completely I can't see him dropping that grudge.

We're talking about a guy that sent pictures of his hands to someone sporadically because they said he had small hands. He's the pettiest of cunts.

I heard a theory that after accidentally buying it through being a fucking bellend, he's now being encouraged to kill the platform by someone like Russia or China (or Saudi), as it's been such a good way to get information out that if it goes there's nothing to replace it

23 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I heard a theory that after accidentally buying it through being a fucking bellend, he's now being encouraged to kill the platform by someone like Russia or China (or Saudi), as it's been such a good way to get information out that if it goes there's nothing to replace it

Technically not. A bit like Vine, Tiktok replaced it. So we went from the USA harvesting data to China harvesting data. It might not be valuable as a company , but the data is valuable enough that a government would pay to float a company like that. If Twitter was to fail, another country would step in with an alternative simply because the data is too valuable for them to turn their nose up at it.

It just depends if people are fine allowing a country like China with their data. Spoilers: They are. Most people don't give a fuck about their privacy. Except you think China would allow anti Chinese sentiment on their platform? They won't. Sort of how Elon is stopping people from taking the piss out of him.

I personally think Elon got bluffed into buying something he didn't understand and now is trying to sink it so he can write it off as a tax thing to make more money out it it. Considering it was bought with money that wasn't 100% his it might be a damage limitation or it might be a grift, I have no idea.

He has Tesla stock up against Twitter as well, so if it sinks hard he will lose that, which might be some proper 5head thinking because it's looking like Tesla might be facing some serious legal shit considering all them vehicles running over people in autopilot mode, or setting on fire and locking people inside. I might end up being cheaper just passing Tesla off to the banks instead of sucking up all those litigations.

Who fucking knows right now? All I know is Twitter is fucked with right wing bs and covid misinformation now because Tiny Dick Energy Elon couldn't run a bath.

The issues were detected, but I would recommend reading through the blog in the first tweet cause they were reported 4 days to Hive privately before the public exposure in the blog which actually prompted them to take down the site. That is very bad, it means they tried to hide this.

Hive is just amateur hour, it can't be overstated how far away they are from the minimal obligation of protecting user data if anyone can see and edit anyone else's content. You could manipulate some other user's post to have illegal material in it for instance. Nightmare fuel

This thread is also excellent, talking about the challenges and damage of getting live journal up and running in the early naughts, and why Hive is very unsafe

I'm not on twitter either, I'm not logged in at least but I can read those threads

Anyway, look, the info is there and coming from someone well informed. You can make your own choices of course, but that thread is from an industry professional saying it's a very dangerous site to share data with so caveat emptor is all