passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Twitter

Hendo

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My notifications have been going mental this afternoon. I tweeted a picture of Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 with the text 'Happy #Nintendo3DSDay!' and for some reason Nintendo UK decided to retweet it, but only mine. Then NoE did. The tweet is currently sitting on 47 retweets and 157 favourites. :o

• 7 years later...

A bit of a necrobump, but relevant one. Things are looking bad

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/17/elon-musk-twitter-closes-offices-loyalty-oath-resignations?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The thing about brain drain, when you have a stack with as much contributors on it as Twitter's you typically have some 'elite' top performers who are the domain experts of the stack. Maybe they have the best understanding of how a particular service operates, and the next senior engineer is maybe at 80 percent of this person's level, or whatever. Domain knowledge is difficult to accrue, it has to happen over time. Even in the best situations knowledge handovers are very difficult

When you have it happen en masse like this tho, that's a terminal blow to the website. The top performers are first out the door to find a place that will respect their skills and, most importantly, their time. Even in this tech crunch, they will find these positions albeit maybe at less fashionable companies (but more stable ones). They just depart with all that knowledge. In the meanwhile, for the remaining staff at twitter the existing infrastructure changes very quickly into more of a puzzle box, with nobody they can consult on some of its more arcane modules. 

That's not to say that the site collapses overnight. But it loses velocity, and it definitely cannot do the pivot Musk wants to do here. Partly also cause of the amount of social capital that Musk has blown through the past weeks, Twitter doesn't have the actual real capital to just thread water and build up a new base of 'domain experts' carved in the perfect image of Musk's ideal worker. So they cannot implement all these sweeping features that are supposed to 'save' twitter.

I know lots won't miss the site, but I think this public flaming out is a very useful lesson that will be pointed to again and again when it comes to respecting your top performers, and also more generally not to drink the coolaid with guys like Musk

edit more of an informed take from this guy, tho who knows if the tweet thread will be around long 

It's just been another extreme example of how much of a joke meritocracy is.  I thought Twitter would get worse under Musk but the scale it has just fucked it has still surprised me.  Like, I thought he'd have some idea on how to take over but it's going to be a case study in the future in how you absolutely do not take over a business.  I don't have a particularly high opinion of myself but I, and many others, could have done better.

The Twitter situation is fluid as musk is a hack that uses wealth to look smart and has no idea how to do any of it himself.

I don’t care enough about twitter to want it to succeed or think it’s as important as it was valued at.

I can’t see anywhere near as many people moving over to mastodon. The infrastructure just isn’t as simple from what I’ve read.

I'll honestly be sad to see it go.  Awful stuff went on there and I basically learned to find some of the wild discourse funny; like cooking food for your neighbours is ableist or whatever it was recently.  But I've on since 2009 (😶) and while never really being a poster I'd slowly curated an entertaining and sometimes informative feed and I guess I just don't want to have to start again.

anyone want to explain to me like my age starts with a 4 how Mastadon works?

I've signed up on my pc, but when I've tried using the app it seems to not find my account. It's also not finding the community that I think I joined? Do you do that, or is it like Twitter and it's all just one place essentially, because I'm not really seeing how this isn't just Discord atm

I deactivated my Twitter account yesterday when Musk let Trump back on there. 

Have moved fully to Mastodon but still taking some getting used to, definitely not as simple as Twitter as others have said. DisturbedSwan@mas.to on there if you want to follow.