passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania : Symphony of the Night

Hendo

About 6 hours in now. Stumbled into the bad ending then got to the inverted castle. 

For some reason this is messing with my head far more than Bloodstained did with its ability. Probably because you could swap at will so wasn’t constantly upside down. Starting to get a bit more used to it but damn if it’s not a mind fuck. 

Still continuing to be brilliant and liking all the new enemy designs It’s now throwing at me and the slight changes that makes to getting around. Although having to change into a bat every few seconds to reach higher platforms you can reach through jumping unlike the regular castle is slightly annoying. Difficulty has spiked a fair bit but still making good progress.

On 13/05/2020 at 14:41, mfnick said:

As for the games classic status. I can imagine if I’d played it back in the day I would have been absolutely blown away by it and can tell why people hold it up as a classic.

Funnily enough I remember a lot of people sneering at it because it was 2D.

Guess Alucard has the last laugh because he sure as hell has aged better than Lara and Crash, my god.

Yea I remember those days. It was strange but I always thought games in 3D looked slightly rubbish even back then, impressive yes. But I remember even at that time thinking next gen will be the when these 3D games really shine. However I was a Saturn boy and subscribed to Official Saturn mag by far the best official mag I ever read, they seemed to be left alone by the higher ups. Anyway, they always championed 2D and the brilliance of good sprites and animations obviously because that’s what the Saturn was best at. Especially ones which mixed 2&3D. And that rubbed off on me so I absolutely loved 2D games even back then so this would have definitely blown me away. 

I remember them praising this game loads too and I wanted it but for some reason never did. Think I was too busy saving for games like Radiant Silvergun and Capcoms 2D fighters. 

Glad I’m playing it now though, it’s great. 

Completed now, fantastic game. Decided to get all the achievements too, especially since Id already gotten the vast majority of the map covered as I do in these games if they’re not too overwhelming. 

I got to about 190 % map done without knowing I could super jump or swim as the wolf. Fucksake! I remember getting some shoes that said I could jump higher & didn’t think they did much of anything but it never mentioned you had to do a specific button input to do it. And the wolf swimming? Just doesn’t even hint at that. Were people just expected to stumble across this stuff or was it one of those things what used to be in the manual? Wish I’d knew them sooner either way. 

Anyway, just brilliant! Loved playing through this. 

One of my fondest gaming memories was figuring out how to reach the upside down castle. This was back in the day where the internet was just starting up, and YouTube guides were non-existent. 

Figuring that out for myself was a real “bloody hell” moment. Awesome game. And why I was extremely disappointed with Bloodstained, as it’s not even remotely as good.

• 2 months later...

So I mentioned I bought the SotN/RoN double pack in another thread.  But I've been leaving the classic Castlvania experience until I felt I was up for it but playing this quite a bit.  I've played enough of the Iga games to be able to just hang out and play with my eyes closed. 

They are just great games for that.  I've been having a good time. 

I'm surprised I've not contributed to this old thread before because I did first play it on the 360 when it came out then and the thread does correspond with that time.  I wringed the shit out of it then. 

But I'm struggling now.  I've defeated Dracula but I can't remember how you get the good endings and unlock Richter and the upside-down castle.  I know there is something that needs doing at the Clock in the centre but I can't remember what.  I mostly remembered stuff while playing but now I'm lost. 

I've been scouring the whole place but nothings coming apparent or coming back. 

It's frustrating.  I want my content but I can't remember or figure out how to get it ?