passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Beyond Good & Evil 2

Hendo

A bit contrary to what I may have said earlier, I loved BG&E as much as anyone, but if I'm honest I'd maybe rather they just left it. Story-wise I'm sure there's a sequel in there but the more I think about it, it'll never be as good as the first one. It'll be like Soul Reaver 2 all over again.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll only let you play it when it's finished.

Beyond Good & Evil creator, Michel Ancel has finally offered an update on his illusive sequel, promising fans the project is still in production - though warning it will "take a while" to finish.

Speaking at the Montpellier in Game conference, Ancel explained that the reason we haven't seen anything of the sequel since 2008 is because it's being worked on by a very small development team.

He said: "He want to develop BGE2 with as little people as possible. It will have an interative Storyline with different outcomings and he want to make it perfect - so it will take a while."

Earlier this month Ubisoft denied rumours claiming that Ancel had departed the company, promising that his game is also still in production.

It's the second time the publisher's assured fans the game's still in the works, it just better be pretty frickin' amazing to justify all this toe tapping, if you ask us.

BG&E is a big game so such a small team working on a big game is worrying, games with a long development cycle have a tendancy to be out of date by the time they come out. Hopefully it'll break that rule like Heavy Rain did.

All in all they shouldn't have announced it so long ago, it would have been a nice surprise if they announced 6 - 12 months before a deffinate release date.

• 1 year later...

It's still coming, but to the next gen.

Michael "I make lovely games" Ancel has reignited hope for Beyond Good & Evil 2, claiming that it is definitely still in production, but that it will not be coming to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Instead, it's pointed at the next generation of consoles.

"We are in an active creation stage and at this moment we are only focusing on the game and making it the best game that we can," he said in a video interview. "I can say that it’s a very ambitious game and we need some tech to achieve that ambition. We focus on the game. We create it first, then we’ll see what can run it. We don’t say 2013 because we don’t know when it will come. We’re working to create a great game and it needs more tech."

Ancel has said in the past not to expect the game this generation, but Ubisoft's stony silence on anything regarding the sequel has made its existence doubtful in any situation. It's nice to know the game's still on the cards, though I'll believe in it when I can write a story about the game without using images from the same old teaser trailer we saw ten thousand years ago.

*sigh*

I'm gonna sound like an ungrateful twat, but that looks too realistic and gritty to be in the Beyond Good & Evil universe.

Nope, I couldn't agree more. It's as if the people who made this haven't even played the first game. Where are the whimsical if borderline racist animals who play sports and hang out in the local pub? And the colourful flora? If they were going to do a sequel they probably should have done it right after, I don't recall anyone saying that the original needed super duper next gen graphics (even though the HD remake is lovely).

It's just a bare bones look at the environment they shown like 3 years ago now. It made more sense stylistically with the stylised characters running around that environment.

It does look like a CoD map I suppose, but those types of games set in the middle east don't get into the identity of those kinds of places, they're just window dressing.

The running themes of the original BG&E was all about conspiracy and everything not being quite what it seemed and investigating it so hopefully this will be a more interesting take on the CoD map style. I hope it'll turn it on its head a bit.

I know the first image that I saw of BG&E was a picture of a whale leaping out of this amazingly rendered water at sunset which was like nothing I'd ever seen at the time and it was then I decided I wanted it, so I think technology has always been important to the series, though not the single driving force, obviously.

• 8 months later...

Online retailer Zavvi is listing a Beyond Good & Evil 2 release date of March 22, 2014.

While it may only be a placeholder, Rayman creator and Beyond Good & Evil designer Michel Ancel said last year that the game is in "active" development for next generation consoles.

Unfortunately the sequel's development has been held up by Ubisoft Montpellier's work on Rayman Legends, according to the publisher's CEO, Yves Guillemot. Ubisoft has confirmed a Rayman Legends release date of March 1 in the UK.

Zavvi's Beyond Good & Evil 2 blurb reads: "Designed by Michel Ancel and his acclaimed design team at Ubisoft, this is a sequel to the beloved adventure game, Beyond Good & Evil.

"The game has not yet, however, been officially announced under the title 'Beyond Good & Evil 2' it is instead referred to simply as 'Next Michel Ancel Project' after its creator, it might possibly have a unique title to reboot the franchise."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/389547/beyond-good-evil-2-release-date-march-22-2014-zavvi-says/

• 3 weeks later...

Man, this is bad. I reckon it will end in him leaving.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 seems to have been held hostage for some time. Ubisoft have said "If you buy BG&E HD you'll get the sequel" and "if you buy Rayman Origins you'll get BG&E 2" and now all this piss arsing around with Rayman Legends no wonder he has finally given up. I mean those guys crunched like fuck to get that game ready for February and they pull a trick like they did.

I don't blame him.

• 3 years later...

It's 2016 and we still have filthy and fruity rumours around Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is one of those games that has been rumored to exist for years while still staying weirdly in limbo every time it is discussed. Ubisoft insists the project has not been canned, and brings it up multiple times each year, but nothing concrete seems to surface.

According to a rumor received by Destructoid this week, the game may actually come to fruition in the not-too-distant future. If the information is to be believed, Nintendo has pulled a Bayonetta 2, securing the Beyond Good and Evil sequel as an NX exclusive for 2017.

So, what's our source here? Our initial source of the rumor comes from Alexander Maier, the Dual Pixels writer who published Geno's recent NX hardware rumors last weekend. Geno, who has successfully leaked new Pokémon forms and Microsoft's IllumiRoom project, provided Maier with a lengthy document, which was passed on to Destructoid to assess for veracity.

We also reached out to a second source, who independently gave a number of the same bullet points regarding the future of Beyond Good and Evil. The number of points of crossover between these two sources suggests that this rumor, while not confirmed by Nintendo, may hold water.

According to the supposed leak, the game is currently assigned the working title Beyond Good and Evil: The Prejudices of Philosophers. This is apparently a reference to a specific chapter in the philosophical text Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche, which details how morality can be altered by authority, and the ways black-and-white morality overlooks the larger complexity of the nature of morals.

Basically, it's the chapter about looking beyond the concepts of good and evil.

Is Nintendo Funding Another Cult Classic for NX?

In much the same fashion as Bayonetta 2, Nintendo is reportedly hoping to win audience goodwill by putting money into the development of the long-in-limbo sequel, in exchange for it being an exclusive to the NX.

Bearing in mind that Beyond Good and Evil was a critical success but a commercial failure, it seems like the title would be in a perfect position for this kind of move from Nintendo.

The rumor might also partially explain why in Tim Schafer and Michel Ancel's recent Devs Play for Beyond Good and Evil, Shigeru Miyamoto kept getting name-dropped (skip to 48 minutes) in Ancel's discussion of the sequel. The puzzle pieces have begun to align.

Nintendo do have a Direct today but they have said it will just be about 3DS and Wii U games coming in the Summer. But I think we'll find out about this at E3.

It's sorta sad if it's true. Like Bayonetta 2 I'm glad Nintendo are helping to make it actually happen but what are Ubisoft doing? They are absolute incapable of diversifying their catalogue of games. If it's not Assassin's Creed/FarCry/WatchunderscorDogs they're not interested.

The reason Ancel was name dropping Miyamoto in the Devs play thing was because he hated it :lol: it's pretty funny you should watch it if you haven't.

I think Ubi has a different mindset compared to 3 or 4 years ago. RB6: Siege and The Division are actually pushing their genres forward instead of using tried and tested cookie cutter type design. Farcry had a new time/setting and Assassins Creed looks like it's moving to once every 2 years. I think they're trying to put out better games now. The amount of money Ubi would have spent into launching The Division isn't going to be small too.

I would love another BG&E but I'm not sure how well it would do. I know I lot of people are always calling for it at Ubi's E3 but the first game bombed pretty hard didn't it. Is there many people here who haven't played it?

I think the first/third party team up exclusive games like SFV/Shenmue/Bayonetta etc is probably going to become more common. It's low risk financially for the studio and the console gets a exclusive, so it's kinda win win from their side. But abit shitty if you only have one console.

Who knows, its just a rumour. Maybe Ubi will take some of the money The Division makes and fund it themselves.

The reason Ancel was name dropping Miyamoto in the Devs play thing was because he hated it :lol: it's pretty funny you should watch it if you haven't.

I did see that. I have it in my head Miyamoto was playing it before shouting "this isn't like Mario!" then throwing the controller at Ancel's head.

I'm willing accept maybe Siege is doing more interesting things that a Ubisoft game doesn't usually do but The Division just looks like they're dragging the MMO structure into their usual nonsense.

I have no doubt some people who have waited this whole time for it will be disappointed. But I think there are a lot of people who are younger and missed out on the game originally and are curious about it. I think these kids that like Undertale would love it. I'm sure it'll be fine at the very least, but there are just very few games that do what it does. If you do have a game about government conspiracies they're usually serious business, but having a game about that stuff that is lighter but not really watered down would still be an appreciated thing.

So while I don't expect it to do really well, I think it may do better then the original. But I suppose it also depends how well the NX does if this rumour is true, which I have no prediction.

• 1 year later...