passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Grand Theft Auto IV

retroed

My copy arrived by carrier pigeon today (actually that's a lie, my mate picked it up from Argos) so I look forward to getting thoroughly bored/enjoying it/wanking incessantly like everyone else.*

*Delete as appropriate.

i look thoroughly bored getting wanked by a cop. mate picked my Arse incessantly, I actually enjoyed it

Fuck you all. :ph34r:

So far I've done the barest of things due to having it on in the background while I do other stuff.

The intro is pretty well done, and all I've done gameplay-wise is drive from the boat to the flat. I was gonna play the actual game but I got side-tracked by the TV. The Fox parody channel (Weazel) is both hilarious and absolutely vicious, I know Ben for one would appreciate it. I hope someone uploads the footage on youtube as everyone should get to watch their hard work. :D

Oh yeah, I suppose I'd actually better play the game.

*EDIT*

Republican Space Rangers has been found.

Aa2Iy34aUhc

That program is the only thing I've already seen, tis very good.

I think my general feelings on GTA4 is "this is what GTA3 should of been". I think what I'm trying to say is the core of GTA's gameplay is in the driving and the combat. On GTA3 - in my oppinion - they were bloody awful. Now you have an ok combat system and pretty good driving physics all rolled into a large well designed world with a decent variaty of things to do. People phoning me is annoying though because I feel like a twat for telling them to piss off and leave me to do crime.

Nico is a great character too, so far the stories been pretty good. A little lock stock at times but fuck it, I liked lock stock.

GTAIV is pretty freaking good, isn't it? I've spent a couple hours playing it tonight and I've been completely drawn in. Niko is such a likeable character. The dialogue is fantastic.

At first I the game looked very dark, and I wasn't very impressed by it. I didn't adjust my TV settings as all my other games look fine and dandy, but I did go into the display settings of the game and bumped up the brightness and contrast, and it looks a lot better now. The graphics on the whole look very good indeed, the lighting especially. There's the odd bit of slowdown here, and a jaggy there, but they can be forgiven, as GTAIV has so much going on. It's super impressive.

I got the achievement for losing a 4 star rating just a minute ago! 14 missions in and I can see this being the first GTA that I finish, I've really enjoyed what I've played so far. And I haven't even tried any of the multiplayer yet.

Another evening - another long play session - I've even dabbled with a few cheats I may add - 360 & PS3 official cheats available at www.gamefaqs.com - spawning that copter was awesome - and what an awe-inspiring view flying over happiness island - there seems to be some kind of big industrial area over on the third island but the cops were in too much of a hot persuit for me to land... shame.

I can't get over the rich vibrant colours on offer here - part of last nights play session was spent exploring the subway system & trying to familarise myself with it. quite an atmospheric run from Hove Beach to Francis Int Airport - you really feel your on an intense public transport system in a big city. The subway system is an adventure in itself. Love the upper and lower level stations - not that I like trains! :lol::P

According to my stats, I've already done 18 missions and killed 27 people (duncs u effing thug! :lol: most were folks I ran over - not beat up.. ) Play time 9 hours! Christ, have I got that far already?

Yeah I like this, shame it came out on tuesday, but now the weekend is here im looking forward to a nice play through tonight into the wee hours. Im going to spawn a helicopter, i cant be arsed to wait for one.

I wonder if you can do this in multiplayer, that would be wicked, having helicopter fights.....drool

I'm content to play the story properly, so I don't want to know or use the cheats right now.

I haven't got very far in but I took the woman on a date to go bowling.

My only lasting first impression has been, "fuck me, I'm driving a car made of jelly".

"fuck me, I'm driving a car made of jelly".

Noob

Edit: Theres not much better than avoiding four stars of policeness whilst listening to 'now i wanna be your dog' and driving my jelly car.

Double Edit: I stand corrected, my favourite part of this game is '(fart sound) woah thats a message from Fort Ass that General Shit is on the way' Republican Space rangers FTW......doo doo doo doo be your dog

My brother decided to buy this today, unfortunately for him, so did everyone else because of the bank holiday. We trapsed around a few shops until we got to Blockbuster, they had the game on the shelf but when my brother took the 360 version up to the counter they told him they didnt have it, but that they did have the ps3 version. My brother (who's the same age as me) turned to me dow eyed and asked if he could play it on my ps3. I said yes and that if I liked the game I'd buy it off him (or buy the 360 version for him cheap) at a later date.

We get home and set the ps3 up in the front room. He was really excited for it, so when I told him about the install about a millisecond before the install screen appeared he was pretty gutted. Then I noticed the ps3 pad he was holding was flashing, just before the "your pad needs charging screen appeared". Before he could react I pre-empted the sadness and told him I had a USB adapter so he could use my ps2 pad. I went and got the pad and for some reason the R2 button wasnt registering, again quick as a flash I told him not to panic as I have another pad, which I go and get. This pad didn't work properly either

My brother, who's the same age as me, turned to face me, with a tear in his eye and said crestfallen "Everything's going wrong"

Luckily I managed to get one of the ps2 pads working before there was a scene, and he spent the next few hours happily punching women and russians in the face :)

My brother decided to buy this today

My brother, who's the same age as me, turned to face me, with a tear in his eye and said crestfallen "Everything's going wrong"

I knew the brother before he came to class.

Luckily I managed to get one of the ps2 pads working before there was a scene, and he spent the next few hours happily punching women and russians in the face :)

:lol:

I actually didn't start off using cheats - but the oversteer on some of the basic cars is atrocious - no way can you do chase missions in one of the cheap things - even some of the family saloons or trucksters aren't fast enough. so I thought fuck it & keyed in the cheats on my mobile - they automatically save to it so you can access a speedboat, Copter (with machine guns!) and a selection of bikes & fast cars at the flip of you're mobile - I'll tell you now - they it didn't half come in handy in a warehouse down on the quay with Little Jacob trying to flee a three-star wanted level - and no vehicle - yeah - duncs just rocket launchered them clean!!! :lol::lol: AWESOME!!

I'm still finding the level of detail jaw dropping - how any copyists will ever emulate this I will never know. Sometimes its just the little things that put a smile of my face - the view from the subway train - passing through industrial areas, residential areas & in between skyscrapers - and watching the evening sun go down & seeing cars & pedestrians along alleys & backstreets going about their daily lives - seeing future destinations far off on the horizon and wondering where the action/adventure/exploration will take you when you eventually move to the next island.

The action last night typically mounted to a gripping finale - taking time off from missions I spawned a Copter (aptly called 'The Annialator') - roared up into the sky and over to the next 2 islands - the cops went beserk - but if you spawn a copter they cannot actually catch you - and hitting the streets culminates in a frantic chase...

So after I saw the sights I was persued all the way home to where I thought I was going to land on Hove Beach - suddenly ejecting out of the copter at 2000ft sent Niko SCREAMING to his DEATH!!!! :lol: (don't worry - he woke up in a warm hospital bed the next morning with only a few scrapes! :lol: )

The love continues....

I took the woman out on another date and it lasted all of 5 seconds (ah, art imitating life) as we walked into the bar and then, "Oh! Time to go home!" which was a bit weird. Even weirder that Niko was hammered and she wasn't at all. So the driving drunk thing was very accurate (not that I have, just that it was woozy) and actually made me feel a bit sick.

The 1up Show for this week is a GTA IV special and it's very good, some very spot-on bits in there.

I've had a couple of proper giggle moments so far. One involved me driving at speed but a corner I needed to take I missed, but I knew that I could hit the handbrake and I could spin a 180 and I wouldn't lose much time. There's a building on this corner but, yeah, I know I'll just miss it!

Unfortunately, my sense of buttons is lost for that moment as so instead of pressing the correct handbrake button (RB), I press the Y (or triangle for PS3 owners) which as we all know is the "get out of car" button.

I've never laughed so hard as when Niko just jets himself out of a speeding car flat into a wall. Simple pleasures, but there we go.

Bar some small fights, I still haven't done anything outside of the story and I'm taking the story part fairly seriously, like making him do what I believe he would do. Very role-play which is odd for me.

I will say though that I'm not that impressed with the combat and it feels very slugish, random and I might as well just mash the buttons randomly.

Well the game has won me over and it's the first GTA that I've ever properly enjoyed.

The only downside is I've barely gone off the beaten path and caused devastation and I've stuck to the main missions largely but I'm still only about 26% in! It feels like I've been playing for ever, it's just a bit too big for my tastes.

Good fun though,