passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

illdog

After and introduction all in German but with English subtitles, whats before you is pretty much an old school Castlevania. Its side on scrolling action that plays alot like Super Castlevania 4 with its moonwalking up randomly placed stair cases and the enemies are all pretty much the same. At first i was thinking the difficulty is alot higher than SC4 but upon reflection the difference is that ive played the ass of SC4 and know it backwards.

The graphics are superb, i forget what a sound peice of kit the PSP is, and alongside remixed classic Castlevania tunes its a treat for the senses. I found a few secret areas already, there seems to be dual routes through every level. You'll walk past an ominous looking statue or an oddly placed bell that scream of puzzle and begged to be solved.

Im fighting death on top of an old sailing ship but he bested me with his already being dead shit, which means i have to do the whole level again but ce la vie, when it looks and sounds this good i really dont mind.

i was trying to play some castlevania when i was away, i played the DS one and also one of the GBA ones, and for some reason, i just can't get into them. I didn't even get to bits that are hard, i just sorta zoned out and stopped.

Ok, this game needs to be saved manually, i loaded up at lunchtime and i'd lost two levels.

This turned out to be to my benefit as i'd figured out how to access a secret area after i walked past it (you know how you do) and was on my way to spank its ass when i stumbled on another route through the level. It was fucking awesome too, down a huge waterfall...

I heart this game.

I've nearly bought this a couple of times but I already have Symphony of the Night (and barely played it) and I doubt I'd play the old school one much.

I'd really like to kick-start my PSP again, but I thought Patapon would do that, and it didn't.

Everday its gettin better...its gettin better...all the time.

Found, therefore unlocked, a secret character yesterday after piecing together a few bits and bobs, found tones more routes through tons more levels, its just a great game. Rondo of Blood reminds me of Lament of Innocence on the PS2, on the surface it seems like just your average action platform game thats pretty much A to B, but under that cunning exterior lies a wealth of secrets that blows you away. Like if Frankenstein was a poet.

Also got to what was possibly the last boss, altho i doubt it knowing Castlevania games. The last level is rock hard and im wincing at the thought of having to do it again.

I beat Dracula last night but in true Castlevania style I got a bad ending. Normally going through old levels looking for stuff is a chore but with Maria its fan-fugu-tastic. So many routes, so many secrets...

I found a little emblem hidden in a wall and i believe its unlocked the original Turbographx version of Rondo of Blood but im too awesome to die so havent been able to get back to the title screen and options yet.

I laugh at you fools not playing this. HAHAHAHAHA.

Im on the last boss now, thats the proper last boss, none of his lackeys, no more alternate endings, this is the final guy. Its one of those bosses who has a fairly simple pattern, in your minds seems easy to beat but he just keeps nickin you, like his cloth overthrow keeps brushing against your hair but thats good for quater of your energy bar. Grr!

Had to use a guide to get the good ending sorted out tho, as with most Castlevania games its a bit much but the doing was awesome.

• 3 months later...
Im on the last boss now, thats the proper last boss, none of his lackeys, no more alternate endings, this is the final guy. Its one of those bosses who has a fairly simple pattern, in your minds seems easy to beat but he just keeps nickin you, like his cloth overthrow keeps brushing against your hair but thats good for quater of your energy bar. Grr!

Had to use a guide to get the good ending sorted out tho, as with most Castlevania games its a bit much but the doing was awesome.

Hey Ill... is this as enjoyable as the DS iterations of the game??

It was your ravings that got me into them. After a new handheld title and i rekon a Castlevania game will def give me my moneys worth.

This games more like Super Castlevania IV on the SNES, just with a less awesome soundtrack and not so shrouded in a shield of unbeakable love.

Its pretty tough Oli, im not sure a pussy like you (or your dad) could handle it.

This games more like Super Castlevania IV on the SNES, just with a less awesome soundtrack and not so shrouded in a shield of unbeakable love.

Its pretty tough Oli, im not sure a pussy like you (or your dad) could handle it.

Ahhhhhh...

Usually i would take that as a challenge, but thinking about it my handheld gaming taste is stuff thats easier to pick up and put down and leave for a while and come back to....

I’m playing this again as part of Castlevania Requiem. Haven’t played Rondo since my original ramblings in this thread.

Fuck a cock I’m finding it tough. Richter controls much like old school 2D Castlevania protagonists but some of the enemies have weird patterns (crows, eyeballs, red skulls - I’m looking at you) and his ridged jumping and one directional whip strike make him an easy target. Maria on the other hand... she walks through the levels like a knife slices through butter. Well, it’s not that easy with her otherwise I would have completed the game in one sitting but she’s better than Richter if you’re rusty as shit.

Soundtrack is banging and this game rules. More later.

Hooray for insomnia. I got up at 3am this morning and turned this on. 4 hours later I had got 100% on the stats screen. Its the first time I’ve done that.

Its a cool ass Castlevania. 8 main levels, 5 secret routes, 4 hidden bitches. Oddly the boss of the alternate Level 1 gave me the most trouble, along with Death on Level 7. Full disclosure, I had to look up how to find Iris and where the secret exit for one of the levels was.

Alternate Level 5 is called ‘Shudder’, brilliantly named as it’s an asshole of a route. 4 tough sections of platforming and fighting with 2 mini bosses on screen at once in the middle of the level, made worse by the fact that the next section is teeming with Medusa heads.

Rondo has a lot of personality with it’s comedy cut scenes and wealth of secrets, it’s a real standout amongst the classic Castlevania type games. Controls are tight as fuck too. I really need to play through IV again as at the moment it feels like Rondo just eclipses it.

• 1 year later...

I've started this on the PC Engine Mini. I have the PSP remake on the Vita but never really got anywhere with it. 

I'm enjoying it a lot, with a few caveats over the controls. Initially I was thinking this was surprisingly easy, the first level I kind of beat by accident, 2nd level wasn't a challenge either, then things take a turn. The boss with the lance, I'm glad I'm using save states because he would have eaten all my lives easily. 

The boat level too, parts of it feel like you 5 seconds earlier positioning yourself and now you've got 3 flying enemies and a suit of armour around you with no escape route. 

My issues with it, something @illdogmentions in one of his posts, how Richter controls. He controls like his in the original Castlevania, no air control, no cancelling animations, he's not as nimble or responsive as you'd want him to be.

I'm about to climb the mast on the boat and fight that boss, so I'm guessing I've already missed a secret character and am destined for the bad ending, but that's something to worry about some other time