Hendo

Website feedback

They give an unsafe site error, which probably isn't genuine but better to be safe than sorry 

Similar to Ed I'm not in a position to sort it atm but will be later on if it still needs doing 

Get ya, is that when it's searched for on Google and the like?

2 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

They give an unsafe site error, which probably isn't genuine but better to be safe than sorry 

Similar to Ed I'm not in a position to sort it atm but will be later on if it still needs doing 

Found the bugger and fixed it.

It makes browsing older threads a pain because it throws out warnings. It's possibly scary to some, if you have a person that randomly goes to google to search something and it pushes to one of those pages here, then the first thing they see being a big red banner warning them off isn't a good impression.

It's sad Raptr went the way it did, it could have continued being huge if it didn't follow the path it went. Discord came in and stole its dinner money as far as being a social network for gamers.

I forgot raptr signatures threw up those warnings, I'd have been on it right away if I did. I thought you were just pointing out that raptr sigs were a thing. :facepalm:

So. umm... that logo and the blue banner. 

We seem nice and up to date tech-wise but... I think we're long overdue an update on both the logo and the blue banner.

A nice bit of video game art and logo redesign would go a long way i think. 

I have some people that could help. Maybe people here have other people that can help too? Maybe take a vote at the end?

I don't want to copy but the idle thumbs forum banner.. https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/ Something like that would be cool. 

Or even just a logo redesign and keep the blue. idk

What are peoples thoughts?

Not really down for a complete art banner because it gets old quick and needs updating a lot to keep fresh. The logo almost certainly needs updating though, it looks rough as fuck at high resolutions.

Who's got it in them to redesign or update the logo?

I quite like the idea of an art banner myself. We could chuck a few High Res screen caps ina folder each month and have it auto rotate them. The logo does need redesigning. I remember knocking that up in Photoshop when I worked in the server cupboard, so it must be about 10 years ago.

The logo needs updating so bad that I said as much maybe 4 years ago but got no response. 

That idle thumbs art is horrid. Idk if it’s better formatted on desktop? But it looks like fan art rather than a logo that can easily be carried over to a podcast and discord. 

Same as @Jimbo Xiii, I think the idea of some art for the banner is sound... Blocks of one colour isn't the most interesting thing to be greeted by time and time again.

I’m down for whatever but have no skills to offer.

I do like the idea of rotating the logos round.

However we would have to change the theme if the logo didn’t fit with the blue we currently use.

It would be quite cool to have a load of options of themes people could choose from, like various game themed ones, standard ones and one that strips all signatures and avatars out to make it safer for some people in work.

8 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

That idle thumbs art is horrid. Idk if it’s better formatted on desktop? But it looks like fan art rather than a logo that can easily be carried over to a podcast and discord. 

This. It's not nice to look at.

My big concern for putting an art banner up is that 1. It gets boring fast. You look at the banners on reddit where they change them after every DLC or whatever and some of them age like Lindsey Lohan. I guess you could combat that by having several that could load in at random, but you've to consider this.

2. Site speed and data usage. Having to load a picture in that's a few mb is going to hit peoples data plans in the long run. It's also going to take the site longer to load, albeit fractions it's all to be pulled from the servers and to the client. You don't have that with a blank colour slate.

3. A square can be pulled into any shape and resolution and it's still going to look nice, because it's just a square of solid colour. A full banner isn't afforded that luxury.

The above is why I'm personally against having art banners. This is before you bring art is all preferential on the users. For example how would someone like @Nag feel if it was all Nintendo characters all the time? I'd personally rather not have the flavour of the month as the banner or whatever. Everyone is different and you can't account for that with the banner or variations on the banner.

However there is one thing you could do which would allow the banner of the site to change over time without being any of that. Remember how the PSP and PS3 had a background theme that was just a colour and it would change each month? Something like that would work. If you design a logo around that colour scheme, for January the PS theme was white, so design the logo to be built of of colours that match well with white. When February comes round it changes to pink, along with the MFG logo which now looks the same, except has the colours that change specific to the month.

Something like that is inoffensive whilst looking clean. It'd be my suggestion if/when this change is going to happen.

I avoided @'ing you because I didn't know if you'd want to do it. Here we go though, we've got a professional. Do a logo that looks like a dick!

Or make a banner with the picture of @Sambob eating the big orange cock.

1 hour ago, Chimay said:

Graphic Designer here! I could have a pop at the logo as long as you're not in a hurry for it. 

Can we pay you with exposure?

I'm not exposing myself to anybody... on this website at least.

9 hours ago, Nag said:

I'm not exposing myself to anybody... on this website at least.

What's with all those PMs then?