Hendo

Website feedback

Before I sod off to bed, I'll just say about the friend codes and stuff, I'm gonna see about some content plug-ins so we can bring back the friend code pages and reviews.

Which reminds me, when we do, along with brand new reviews (of course!) could I ask for a few volunteers?

Nothing major, just a couple of people with time on their hands who can do some copy and paste jobs with me, adding the old reviews in?

I'll check out that calendar tomorrow too.

So, are you planning a front end for the site then? With the board separate, like?

Gah, can avatar upsizing be turned off? My beautiful Arcana Heart avatar looks messed up.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but could we not just chuck everything - news, general, old, current, handheld into one "Discussion" folder, like rllmuk does? It just seems like overkill to me. I don't think I've ever looked in the "general" folder... rllmuk, a far busier forum, manages well with just the one discussion folder, and personally I'd be active in more threads if it was like that.

The avatar thing might be a good shout, although it should stop people from having images that are too big so it might be usefull.

I quite like having a seperate news/gaming/general forum, I think things get a bit indistinctive when they're all bunched togater. But now there aren't spacings for each area like on the old site it does look a bit much. To reduce the numbers we could always scrap Collections and move Media into off topic?

Edit: News and General could merge. Seems like General is used more for scores and the like anyway. But what if one day we actually have a discussion about something?

Re-reading old threads on rllmuk (for example) can be great though, from initial announcement through to release and then the discussion of the actual gameplay. Breaking up a discussion that's been built up about a game just to move it into another folder 'cos that's what's always happened seems daft to me.

ntsc-uk is the only other games forum I know that does it, and it makes it very arch and sterile.

I don't like the idea of only having folder really, just seems all a bit jumbled.

An obvious one is Off Topic and Media merging, definitely. Neither of them are used that much, so it makes sense.

As for merging General and News, I'm not so sure about that, let's see how it goes.

I can't see how it would be a "jumble" - threads will stay separate, having a decent search function, topic subscriptions and find new posts options will all prevent that. Having a single folder will promote more interest and posting though. gaf just has a "video games" folder and an "off-topic" folder and they seem to manage quite well.

I can't see that it will do anything but help the site tbh.

Only being a filthy occasional lurker on rllmuk I can't say for sure what it'd be like if you'd followed a thread from the start, but trying to find a piece of information in the hundred odd page Rock Band thread took me all night, same with pretty much any other topic I've read there. It's personal preference though I guess, I'd quite like to see rllmuk seperate things a bit if I'm honest.

I'll be straight with you Swallow, I'm dead against having one combined News and General folder. Whether it's OCD or the first gaming forum being the old GTM one (that I went on, not the first ever, obviously) and this being built in its image, but I like having News and General seperate.

I'm all for merging stuff though - so far we've gone from a DS folder, Wii folder, Cube, Other and Retro and we're down to 3 which is still generally 1 more than normal (usually people have a games folder and a retro one) but it works.

Plus Ed suggested moving the Collections folder into a sub-folder in General (we couldn't have sub-folders on the old software) which works for me as I was thinking about dumping it all together.

Not so sure about merging Media and Off-Topic though, originally they were seperate.

Mine's not the last word though!

Oh, the avatar thing I'll look into - it shouldn't size-up it should only size-down if it's too big.

Believe me, post as many suggestions as you can!

Going back to wiivo's point about how it looks though - right now all I care about is if it works and if people can get back on and post ok. It would be cool to have a few different skins up for you to choose your favourite, but as long as this is functional, you'll have to put up with it for the moment.

Due to the way the conversion was done, there's some problem with 'name' and 'username' appearing.

If you have a different username and name, your name appears rather than your username. I'm not sure why but I've asked the Invision guy if he can fix it, or if it's even possible at this stage. For example, manicm appears as 'Lee' but we all know him as manicm!

Ah well.

Must admit i didnt like the new layout much at first but after a few posts and gettin used to it all its quite cool.

Not as pretty as the old girl but its a damn site quicker. Good work H.

*pats head*

*rubs groin*

*attacks*

About the avatar stretch - are you uploading your own, or linking to one hosted elsewhere?

I uploaded my Tom Waits one and it hasn't stretched the old man out. Speaking of which, I tried uploading animated gifs and they didn't seem to animate. :(

Done Ed's suggestion and moved Collections into General as a sub folder and moved Online just under General.

About the avatar stretch - are you uploading your own, or linking to one hosted elsewhere?

I uploaded my Tom Waits one and it hasn't stretched the old man out. Speaking of which, I tried uploading animated gifs and they didn't seem to animate. :(

Done Ed's suggestion and moved Collections into General as a sub folder and moved Online just under General.

I don't think you can upload your own avatar - it only seemed to give you the option to display one hosted elsewhere, unless I'm missing something?

**Edit** Ah, I see it now, the option wasn't there when I added mine.

I've spoken to the invision guy and he's gotten rid of the post count and 'names' so now stewart is back to stoobie etc.

I've spoken to the invision guy and he's gotten rid of the post count and 'names' so now stewart is back to stoobie etc.

I did wonder about that :)

Just a little query, what's with the insanely highmember numbers, I noticed Hendo is member number 62 of his own site!!! :D and I'm number 66