passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Street Fighter : The Legend of Chun-Li

hinn888

You read it correctly my friends, Capcom has released a bit of info about the upcoming live-action movie based around thier Street Fighter series. Here's a bit from the press release:

"The story revolves around fan-favorite Chun-Li, who will be portrayed by actress Kristen Kreuk (of Smallville fame). Michael Clark Duncan, Neal McDonough, and Taboo of Black Eyed Peas are also on board to round out this all-star cast. The film will be made in conjunction with Hyde Park Films, and will be distributed by 20th Century Fox for a scheduled 2009 worldwide release.

The Street Fighter movie is only one of many projects Capcom has planned to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Street Fighter®. Summer 2008 will see the Japanese arcade release of the much-anticipated Street Fighter® IV.

Street Fighter was first released in 1987 to critical acclaim for its innovative features. This was followed up in 1991 with the smash hit Street Fighter® II, which broke records by being available in 500 thousand arcade cabinets and selling over 25 million units on home systems. These records cemented Street Fighter’s reputation as one of the most popular fighting game series of all time and ensured that the fighting genre would become a staple of the gaming world.

The cast so far includes:

• Chun-Li: Kristin Kreuk. Plays the role of Lana Lang in the WB television series Smallville .

• Balrog: Michael Clarke Duncan. The Island (2005), Sin City (2005), Daredevil (2003), The Scorpion King (2002), Planet of the Apes (2001), See Spot Run (2001), The Whole Nine Yards (2000), The Green Mile (1999), Breakfast of Champions (1999), Armageddon (1998)

• M. Bison: Neal McDonough. The Hitcher (2007), Flags of Our Fathers (2006), The Guardian (2006), Timeline (2003), MinorityReport (2002), Band of Brothers (2001)

• Vega: Taboo. Member of popular R&B music group Black Eyed Peas and recipient of three Grammy Awards.

• Charlie Nash: Chris Klein. We Were Soldiers (2002), American Pie (1999)"

Awesome!

Lets hope its not like the other "human" street fighter film o_O

On the plus side for Taboo form BEP, he does know gnarly kung fu. BEP are masters of crazy style falling break dancing and Taboo chucks ninja moves into his dancing.

Check THIS video from their first album before they sold out, its not a great song but the last min changes all that, watch it just for the dancing and awesome piano loop in the background.

• 1 month later...

More news on how this could be the biggest disaster for games movies, ever.

SF film writer explains Chun-Li focus ("she's not just a sex object fantasy")

Street Fighter movie writer Justin Marks has said he picked Chun-Li as the focus because films are about unexpected heroes, and not so he could have a "blatantly sexualised female lead".

He acknowledges that Ryu and Ken are "the muscle" of the familiar series, but says Chun-Li is the "heart and soul" because her father was taken from her; she is the little girl that everyone wrote off.

The part of Chun-Li will be played by lovely Smallville [and Edgemont - Dep Ed] star Kristin Kreuk, but Justin Marks sees her in more of a Ripley from Aliens role than any-of-them from Dead or Alive.

"First, I've never seen a successful action movie (in my mind) that blatantly sexualised its female lead and succeeded for its audience; Catwoman, Elektra, the list goes on and on," Justin Marks told JoBlo.

"Then I think back to The Terminator, or possibly my all-time favourite movie, Aliens, and I think of how Ripley is depicted in that film. She's a tough woman, but not because she came from a place of wearing tight pants and beating up men. She's tough because she had this core emotional story about a life that could have been and never was. To me, that's the way you write a woman in these kinds of movies."

Justin Marks also said Kristin herself is very picky about what she does because she realises young girls look up to her, although he admits writing her into a "very steamy" club scene where she does some "awesome" things to get what she needs.

"We've gone to great lengths to make sure Chun-Li is not just a sex object fantasy for people's desktop backgrounds," continued Marks. "That was something Kristin made very clear, and we're honoured that she's willing to go that route, because it's one of the factors that's going to elevate this above adolescent video-game adaptation.

"That said, did I mention Kristin is gorgeous? And there's one very steamy night club scene where she does awesome things to get the information she needs." Anyone for table tennis, perhaps?

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is filming now and due for release next year, when the game series turns 20 years old.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the previous Street Fighter film in case you're wondering, and takes place entirely in its own world. Marks says we should think of the difference between Batman Begins and Batman and Robin as an example.

He goes on to reveal "there are always plans" to do sequels so he could explore the Street Fighter world further, and believes his debut will be good enough to warrant one.

"Hopefully Street Fighter sets a new standard. I certainly believe it will. It's a game adaptation that takes itself seriously, because the material actually deserves to be taken seriously for those of us who were paying attention to the story and the anime series," concluded Marks.

It's gonna suck some balls.

• 4 weeks later...

Can it get any worse? Why, yes!

Our Hollywood Wednesday continues with word that Ryu and Ken will not be in the upcoming Street Fighter film.

Not enough room for them, according to the official movie blog, as this one is about Chun-Li and diverting attention would be unfair on all the characters.

"There are just way too many characters in the Street Fighter universe to cram them all into one film," said producer Patrick Aiello.

"We want to do each one the justice he/she deserves. So, in short, Ken and Ryu will not be appearing in this film. But, that doesn't mean we wont see our red and white-clad heroes in potential sequels..."

The blog went on to put the community brain to rest about the film being a camp ham-up of the iconic fighting game, dismissing images such as Jean-Claude Van Damme in a leotard dancing his little heart out.

"Regarding the tone, I'm pleased to say we are certainly not going for camp or cheese or any kind of laughs," added Aaron Horwitz, blog overlord. "While we're definitely not trying to make the next Citizen Kane, we are going for a somewhat more realistic, gritty, dramatic and, oh yes, action-packed direction than you might expect.

"Now, as a result of this approach, it'd be silly to put Neal McDonough's Bison in a bright red suit and captain's hat with a pair of humongous shoulder pads. It works great in the videogame, but in real life, it just wouldn't look intimidating.

"The same can be said for Balrog. He's an enforcer. A killer. A take-no-shit brawler to the core. And so, how scary would he be on screen if he beat people up with boxing gloves and a pair of blue short-shorts?" added Horwitz.

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is shooting right now in Thailand, and stars Kristin Kreuk from Smallville as the bun-sporting and blue dress-wearing heroine. She's doing rather well, apparently.

"Kristin is doing things you just plain won't believe. I can't count the number of baddies she's dismantled thus far on all my fingers and toes," added Horwitz.

So, they won't appear in this one but the hope is that they'll get a green light to do sequels and each character will have a starring role?

It sounds like this one should be pulled!

And it is trying to be serious?

Anyone seen The Producers? I can't help but think this is just a tax scam.

I can't help but think it went something like this...

Writer 1 "We've just finished our generic action film with leading lady"

Writer 2 "It's a shame it will do staight to video, if only we had a gimmick"

Writer 1 "Is the female lead not enough?"

W 2 "Not since Alien. You know... That Hitman film did okay, all they did was rip-off the Bourne films and stick a familiar licence to it. Lets make our film about the strongest women in the world. Chun Li from Street Fighter!"

W 1 ".... What? With that cutey from Smallville as lead?"

W 2 ".... Yeah, problem?"

I havn't seen a game/film thing since Doom so I'll probably give this a miss too.

It could also have gone:

W1 "Im bored and need some money."

W2 "Cool, lets make a game/film. What shall we ruin?"

W1 "Umm....Streetfighter yea?"

W2 "Cool. That Chun Li was fit in the anime. Who looks nothing like her?"

W1 "Kristen Kreuk from Smallville."

W2 "Coolio, ill get the camera."

• 6 months later...