passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nine Inch Nails

Hendo

New album is go!

And in a variety of formats. And like Niggy Tardust, he's following Radiohead.

http://ghosts.nin.com/ (site is a bit borked, understandably)

Nine Inch Nails are following in Radiohead's footsteps by releasing their new album 'Ghosts I-IV' as a free download via their own website from today (March 3).

The 36-track instrumental record, recorded in a ten-week period last year, is available in a variety of download options and as a physical copy.

The options are a free download featuring the collection's first nine tracks, a $5 download featuring the whole album, a $10 two-CD set (either via the website or in shops from April 5) and a $75 deluxe edition, including a hardcover book and a data DVD and a Blu-ray disc featuring high definition recordings and a slide show.

There is also an “ultra deluxe" limited edition version for $300 which features the same items as the $75 version, but also signed and numbered by Trent Reznor.

Full details and the free download are on NIN.com now.

Speaking of the release and the artwork, Reznor explained: “It's the result of working from a visual perspective‚ coating imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams.

(from NME.com)

Update (from Trent Reznor)

Update: The response to this album has been overwhelming, causing our website to slow to a crawl. We THOUGHT we were ready, but...

We've been adding more servers to accommodate the unexpected demand and we expect to be running smoothly in the next few hours. In the meantime, if you've had any problems with downloads from the Ghosts site, don't worry - you'll be able to use your download link again when the site is more stable. Thanks everyone for making this such an immediate success.

The world just doesnt want this site to be saved does it :(

- Ben Williams, 2008

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a personal note today's been a pretty good one. I had a day off, didnt get a fine from the bank, got longer to pay a bill than I thought, my brother got a job, and now this :)

Think I'll pay the $5 like I did with Niggy, I might even get the 2 cd set at some point too.

EDIT: OPERA FTW!

Because there's so many people downloading this the connection on my "One-time download link" keeps cancelling. Fortunately opera lets you keep restarting, but it's still a fucking ball ache. Evitdent that i was bigging up opera at the start of that sentance and now im using words like cunt and donkeyfucker :pinch:

Another EDIT: Download failed :( I've emailed them but I reckon theres going to be a bit of a wait to get another chance to download it

Dont know, I've still not got my new code or whatever so i cant download it. (the link you get is single use, so once it failed i had to email them for a new one).

I've started a torrent download instead, I've already paid so it's sort of ok :rolleyes:

You can get 9 songs for free so it might be worth trying those first. Personally The Fragile is my favourite NIN album, so that's the one I'd tell you to buy

I've just gone for the $5.00 download - with the exchange rate at the moment I thought it was with splashing the cash! (about 50p I think :-) )

I still think that the first couple of NIN albums are the best...every album since Pretty Hate Machine seems to have 3 or 4 absolutley blinding tracks, with the rest of them being a bit skippable. I'm probably setting myself up for a flaming here!

Incidentially, I just tried playing "The Great Destroyer" (One of the tracks off of Year Zero) on Audiosurf and nearly had a seizure lol.

I never got round to getting Year Zero, I didn't think much of With Teeth, bar a few stand-out tracks, and hearing the stream from the NIN website, I didn't exactly rush out and buy it. I reckon I'll probably pick it up soon enough as I'm sure I'm missing out on some classic songs.

The problem for With Teeth (and what I heard of the last one) was that he was treading the same musical ground and the same old lyrics, being a 40 year old man I can't see him just still using the teen angst forever, and it sounded embarrassing in places.

A mate read bits of a review of this new one to me over the phone, and combined that with what I know of his hatred of his old record company, I can put two and two together and make a stab that they wanted him to keep mining the same old shit. Now he's free to do what he wants.

Having said that, there's more than enough old NIN references in this new one (only listened to the first part so far though, sounds quite Fragile-esque), but the lack of vocals makes it easier to swallow, without the obvious, "Fuck you!!! I hate you!!! Hate me!!!!" kind of thing in it.

For me, Pretty Hate Machine is one of the weaker albums as it's the one that's dated the worst. Downward Spiral got me into the band, and the Fragile is still the peak and one of the few double albums that holds up as a double.

I quite liked With Teeth, in fact I think i might know exactly which lyrics you're referring to and its my favourite song on the album :blush: But then I am the cool member of DS-Wiifi, I can talk to kids about the happy hap and that smashing Fergie, she's not at all annoying or funny looking

You're not missing much with Year Zero imo**. Reznor seems to have the same mentality as Marilyn Manson in that he tries include a few singles on each album and he uses the a template to achieve it. Year Zero has a few too many of those. Also it's political which is always a bit dodgy if that's not where you started from

I'm in the camp that thinks Pretty... hasn't aged too well too :( It's not bad, but when he plays them live I wish he'd do something new with them.

As for Ghosts, I've still not got my code but i did get it via torrent. I like it, more like the Fragile and I can hear similarities to other artists in there too. Also there's a song towards the end (33?) that sounds like baa baa blacksheep, or at least that's what I was singing :huh:

EDIT:** that's a bit harsh, it's not a bad album, just nothing special

Nine Inch Nails is pleased to announce the expansion of the Ghosts project into the visual world. The band has teamed up with YouTube to host a "film festival" around Ghosts. The concept is for you to take whatever tracks you feel inspired by and create what you feel should accompany them visually. You will be able to see all of the submissions, and a team (including Trent) will be sorting through them and setting aside ones they feel are exceptional. Eventually (within a couple of months?) we hope to present a virtual "film festival" with Trent and some special guests presenting selections of your work.

"This isn't a contest and you don't win elaborate prizes - it's meant to be an experiment in collaboration and a chance for us to interact beyond the typical one-way artist-to-fan relationship. We've discussed some interesting ways this could go, including multiple installments of the online "film festivals," to broadcast TV specials, to a one-time live performance of the entire Ghosts record with your visuals involved. It really depends on how this progresses and develops.

We are all very much looking forward to what you come up with, and hope you enjoy the experience. Visit http://www.youtube.com/ninofficial for information on how to participate".

I'm quite looking forward to seeing the outcome of this.

• 1 month later...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Have just downloaded now, will stick on while I shoot some fools.

Oh, not only that but you can also download the tracks to remix it!

http://remix.nin.com/

You have to register but then you can get the files for a load of NIN tracks. It's not the full album but it's better than a kick in the knackers. It also looks like there's podcasts of the remix albums which is weird......yep, just copied the links of the feeds into iTunes via the Menu>Advanced>Subscribe to Podcast thing and I've got The Downward Spiral Instrumental album coming down. :D

God bless 'im.

Reznor is a god damn legend for doing stuff like this. Granted even though he's released the album for free he'll likely sell enough to cover costs, and if not there's the thousands he'll make from touring the album. It's a shame smaller bands cant take the same approach, but I guess this is a tenner spare to buy something else

Album wise this ones not too bad, probably not as good as his last, or at least it doesnt feel as complete, but there's plenty of hooks and no songs I dont like yet :)

I've only listened to it twice through but little has leapt out so far. I think Reznor suffers from the same problem as Ryan Adams in that he just shits out all the stuff he's been working on but could really do with someone holding him back and making a perfectly constructed album of all killer, no filler. I still need to put more time into listening to Ghosts so I can have a proper opinion on it, but I still think he peaked at The Fragile.

I've had this feeling for a while that the double album is the sign that decline is on the way. The White Album was the beginning of the end for The Beatles (and it should definitely have been a single album), the afore-mentioned Fragile, SOAD and their twinned releases, Ryan Adams and Love Is Hell, Pink Floyd and The Wall, Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie (the last time I gave a shit, bar Zwan), Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life (which again, is half awesome, half shite). It's either a band peaking and releasing the best stuff they ever have or ever will, or a head-up-arse mess that should've been chopped up into one brilliant album.

However, having ranted, the stuff he's doing on the net like this makes me forgive him all the recent bland tracks. :)

• 8 months later...

Slightly old news (a week in the internet is a long time), but Reznor has leaked out 400gigs worth of HD concert footage!

Trent Reznor is offering yet more digital gifts from his Nine Inch Nails today, with the technology-loving DIYer giving fans the chance to download high-def video footage from the band’s recent Light the Sky tour. However, if you want the vids, you better have a lot of extra storage space handy. There’s apparently 400 GB of the stuff.

"The internet is full of surprises these days,” Reznor writes on NIN’s website. "I was contacted by a mysterious, shadowy group of subversives who SOMEHOW managed to film a substantial amount (over 400 GB!) of raw, unedited HD footage from three separate complete shows of our Lights in the Sky tour. Security must have been lacking at these shows because the quality of the footage is excellent.

"If any of you could find a LINK to that footage I'll bet some enterprising fans could assemble something pretty cool.

"Oh yeah, you didn't hear this from me."

The shows up for grabs via the band’s website are a December 5 concert in Victoria, BC, one in Portland, OR, from December 7, and another in Sacramento, CA, from December 12. And yeah, since the footage from each concert is raw and unedited the files are huge and may take you days or even weeks to download, so you better have a lot of patience to go with that free storage space.

The site that the quote's from had a live version of Eraser that I assume is from the same footage. Nah, it's at least 2 years old, more likely from the Downward Spiral or Fragile tour. Hopefully we should see some cool new live films from that haul. :)

And here we are.

I just finished listening to the entire Victoria show and the sound quality is awesome :o The track list takes a bit of a dip after an hour, which sometimes happens at longer gigs just because they aren't broken up. Quality stuff though, and it's good to see he's updated the stuff from his first album, I've got some other live stuff from him and the old stuff always sounded a bit cringe worthy.

Jimbo, even though I love all NIN albums I'd readily admit sometimes you have to take the wheat with the chaff. Of in this case the arty and melodic stuff with the cheesey faux-teenage angst