passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV)

illdog

A bit of slow progress with this. Managed to fuck everything up which lead to a crash course in application debugging to find out what was making the game crash on startup. Managed to fix it and install an improved UI, some texture packs and i've played about with some shaders. Considering how awful the base game looked, (the years haven't been kind to the outside areas) it's starting to look pretty good.

Oblivion 05_02_2019 00_59_41.png

Oblivion 05_02_2019 01_02_15.png

Oblivion 05_02_2019 01_12_48.png

I ended up putting some more time into this last night as social plans were scuppered by vomiting children.

Managed to install several mods which all work despite having varying installation methods. In no particular order I installed:

Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul: A massive mod that completely reworks a lot of the game with the biggest changes being the levelling system and enemy levels, but there are loads of tweaks throughout the game making it a pretty different experience.

Enhanced weaponry pack: Mod that adds hundred of new weapons.

Character overhaul pack: vanilla Oblivion character models are awful - they all look like they've just had an allergic reaction. This fixes that.

Enhanced waters: Graphic back that improves the underwater section.

Deadly Reflex - combat mod that makes the swordplay less gash.

Companion Vilja: this is the one Sir Terry got involved in. So far she's pretty impressive, and far more developed that any companion character Bethesda has ever done. She can lead you out of dungeons, spar with you, brew potions, practice spellcasting and all sorts. She can even become the lead adventurer and go on her own quest making you the companion. 

Apparently once you buy a house she'll even paint pictures and hang them in it.

She's also a hellbent on killing everything that comes near you. Had a benny hill style chase over half the map because she was after a bear that tried to run off. Five minutes later around six bandits, a bear, three wolves and some  crabs were all fighting as I sat back and watched, lobbing the occasional fireball.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Like a fool I downloaded this from gamepass for no more than a quick nostalgic shufti, perhaps a run thru the famous opening tutorial until I hit the open air, whereupon I would stroll around a bit, decide the whole thing was too old and crusty to actually play, and then send it back to the digital abyss.

A week later I'm a level 6 dark Mage doing the initial Mage's guild pilgrimage, taking the odd fighter's guild quest to make ends meet, while building my reputation amongst the many in need of help in the pastoral lands of Cyrodiil. Oops!

As you can see I'm playing this on a £5000 PC, with all graphical mods loaded 😀

e722b64d-f28b-4c22-b8c0-d17b2c35ca7d.png

This is such a great game, and it's only when you play it that you realise just how far the actual side questing was scaled back for Skyrim (and Fallout 4, for that matter). And I say that with a reasonably recent (Switch) playthru of the later game.

In Oblivion a chanced upon sidey can meander thru several plot points, and while the acting is always ripe, the script is likely to be interesting, or at least fun and amusing. There were a few standout sidequests in Skyrim (the talking dog one springs to mind) but not like this. Mostly you were just being asked to fight your way to the bottom of a dungeon and grab a macguffin. Or that's how I remember it.

Plus, the roleplaying here seems much more feasibly paced, with serious effort needed to get your character beyond the base level in your chosen build. For all the combat refinements of Skyrim, I think Oblivion did a lot of things better.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't going to post about this, but I've been doing a slow playthru for several months. I'm over 30 hours in and I haven't even delivered the Amulet yet😀. But that's Oblivion! 

Anyway I took this screenshot by accident. It's of nothing in particular, but, at the same time, sort of conveys how beautiful this game has turned out with the recent boosts. While I wouldn't say it's 'like a whole new game' you can see the details in the different focal points right throughout the picture. It looks and plays really good at the moment.

75e8c0f5-985e-4017-b0d6-fe2df2703883.png

Two of my favourite games. It's hard to choose a favourite because the offer different experiences. I mean the 'core' is the same but they feel very different. Oblivion is very pastoral compared to the Viking-like bravura of Skyrim. Or at least it is until you embark on the main quest (which I'm not sure I'll be doing, tbh. Just doing all the side stuff is game enough. Although I might download the shivering isles and the nine).

I remember the main quest sort of sucking cause it would put all those oblivion gates everywhere and the xbox could not run the game well when enemies spawned. 

Bethesda really had some shonky running games on that generation. Also as your game save got bigger the game would run worse and menus would slow down. I guess all of this can be brute forced now, both on PC and with Series X back compat.