passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV)

illdog

Started this again last week & have to say like fine wine the experience improves with age. Just gained access to the Arcane University. Theres a fave spot of mine to the South called waterside or something and you can sit on this stool by the riverbank by some cottages & simply watch the world go by, watch the water ripple & the trees sway in the breeze. I also like walking through a colourful meadows in warm sunshine looking at all the vibrant colours of the plants & flowers - it has some incredibly relaxing & enchanting moments. Even the towns have an immense sense of history and atmosphere - from Skingrad to Cheydinhal & Anvil and each of the businesses has their own unique feel and characters.

:o

Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean are awesome.

Fuck i love this game. Everyone who doesnt is wrong in the head and sucks donkey balls, its an amazing achevement and one of the best games ive ever played and thats a fact.

Ah mr illdog let me remind you of the one thing that drags this game down, hellgates, they are fucking shit and a major fun sinkhole. Apart from that its good, I dont like enemies levelling up with you either, because you dont ever feel as strong as you should, I want to feel Bioshock strong where you can fuck up a whole ton of enemies if you put the work in.

EDIT: Also vampirism, that can fuck off too.

Fuck a dogs cunt, Sams actually right. Hellgates do gargle pig semen. Vampirism isnt so bad but the quest to cure it if you dont go to church straight away is, id rather keep my pasty cock than fuck around with that shit.

EDIT: I bet even Vampire cocks are browner than the rest of their body.

Yeah I think Vampirism was the final straw for me and its where I leant it to a mate so that me and the game could have our own personal space. I havnt seen it around for a while.....every now and again I think about the good times, the walking through the sunny lands, but then I remember how that burns my skin forces me to fast travel or find a cave, fucking bitch.

the reason i dont want to try starting this game again even though i really enjoyed fallout 3, is that fallout 3 seemed to do everything better. the combat, the world though smaller is still big and denser with interesting places and variety, the graphics, plus the whole sci fi theme tickles my balls a lot more than the dungeons and dragons thing

• 2 weeks later...
Alright Illdog, alright! you wore me down. now ive done everything apart from the last dlc on this badboy, and im still hungry for the genre, it has made me want to play oblivion. happy now? :P

Give it a fair crack of the whip northern lad, dont forget that is not Fallout. It is a magic game mate, i want you to love it.

thought id take this over here.

yeah man im looking forward to it. im going to get a new xbox 360 this week, 60gb premium with 2 free games - kung fu panda, lego indy - and a free controller. its the best deal theyve got. going to get the extended game warranty, which ill get free as my mate works there and will get discount for me! so after ive bum raped their cheeves ill be getting down and dirty with oblivion. got any character creation tips? i think thats somewhere i went wrong last time i played this.

was thinking of going with a breton race char, with super magic skills (i'll need high willpower and intelligence i think, which the breton already has and ill raise however i can). either the warrior perk to give me a bit of physical oomph at the beginning or the mage perk for a bit of extra magicka. sound good?

actual physical combat hand to hand with swords, is down to technique mainly anyway, when I did the arena I basically raped the shit out of everything, even though i was an elf archer type, I never really fire bows because they just arent that good, and you cant get close enough to rub cock slime on people unless you are fighting naked with a sword or something. This game rocks, im going to have to get back into it I think. Its just a shame that no matter what spells you get, you never actually feel mega powerful.

• 3 weeks later...

started this on monday, been playing it ever since! very glad fallout 3 convinced me to give it another go. its a great game, i went with the magic character and it seemed a good choice as through magic i made the character awesome at a lot of other things when i needed them, spells for lockpicking, sneaking, making people like me and of course kicking ass being my stalwart pals. i did all the guild quests, the main quest and the dlc expansion, got all the cheeves, and very rarely was i tiring of it. only thing i would say is i wish id played this before fallout, as FO3 is the better game and its always crap when you play a type of game thats been getting better, in reverse. like when i played Paper Mario on the GC before Paper Mario 54 on the VC :'(

still it stood up very well and i bloody enjoyed it.

oh and how godawful was sean bean's voice acting

• 9 years later...

After an excellent article over at Eurogamer about a Mod that Terry Pratchett got involved in, I decided to buy this on PC last night and have a crack at the mod scene myself. A little digging led me to this guide which is purely focussed on graphical updates, but it had great steps in actually setting the game up to be modded:

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591

After initially firing the game up just to see how the game looked (not great, but character models aside, not awful either - I had to also laugh at some of the resolutions you could run it at - 640x480 anyone?), I got cracking installing the three mod managers and a load order manager. Took about an hour and a half of swearing to get my head around it but think I have the basics sussed now. I then installed a bunch of patches and stability mods,  the most significant being the Unofficial Oblivion patch - and the equivalent patches for the Shivering Isles and the other expansion I can't remember the name of.

I then got some base hi-res texture packs to work. You can see the slight differences below:

screen2.jpeg

before

screen3.jpeg

after

There's loads more to install just for graphics, but the screenshots in the guide look promising.

Going forwards there's loads of mods I'm going to run that drastically change the way the game plays, as well as some quality of life stuff. There's a mod that changes the UI which is much needed - it's clearly designed for low resolution screens.

The one's i'm most interested in are a couple of overhauls which switch up how the levelling works. Instead of everything levelling up with you, monsters have set levels so some areas are much more dangerous from the off. There's another one which changes how XP is earned as well.

There's also a a few that add loads of extra content, spells and encounters.

It's going to take a lot more work, but i'm pretty excited to have a new take on Cyrodiil to explore.