passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV)

illdog

After initially sneering at it, then buying it cos it was cheap, then playing it but not being taken by it, then getting into it but giving up cos my character seemed like a pussy im now totally devoted to my new favorite game.

I think at first i was just totally overwhelmed by it, and that turned into me begrudging its hugeness. Obviously the more I played the more I understood the world in which you wonder till I got to the point where I am now and im in love with the fact that its so open.

In a game this huge, ive welcomed the achivements as a compass for my wonderings, they give structure in the same way that Crackdowns achievements encourage structured arsing about. But the beauty is that there is no way you can play this game for point whoring, its just too damn huge - ive just hit 40 hours and have done very little of the main quest (altho its just started to interest me).

The Mages Guild quest was excellent, thats been taking up the majority of my time, and seen as ive plucked for a more magic orientated character its greatly improved my strength so the Fighters Guild and The Arena should be as tough as they were (cos i was getting fully raped before).

I set my alarm for 5.30 am this morning so I could play for an hour before work...:blush:

illdog wrote:

I set my alarm for 5.30 am this morning so I could play for an hour before work...:blush:

crikey!!!!!

I had this game for quite a while, played the shit out of it and then just utterly lost interest, still whilst I was playing it I bloody enjoyed it. I just got a little sick of the sidequests

"hi, will you go and talk to this other villager all the way across the map, then come back and I'll give you a lampshade of +10 lightness"

i struggled with it as well, its one of those games that i know is amazing, but i just can't bring myself to sit and play it, that and the two time I've started it, i seem to mess up my classes and end up with a shit weak character. I agree with you on the achievements though, they defiantly to bring a little guidance and direction to a game that is pretty intimidating. to play devils advocate here, you could argue that characters and story and a sense of personal achievement should be the reason to invest time in the guilds, all the arenas etc etc, and not just some numbers for bragging rights.

I had this game on PC at first, and had to restart a few times while i got my head around the levelling up system, its nothing like an RPG such as Final Fantasy as it punishes you for trying to grind. At first i used to jump everywhere shooting fireballs to build my levels, but your character becomes incrediably weak in all other areas if you dont work the stats evenly.

Just borrowed the CD of the Shivering Isles expansion off a mate in work, and have installed it to my 360. Shall be giving that a bashing soon enough.

illdog wrote:

And turned on your 360 to find me playing CoD4. I have trouble sleeping. :(

I've been tempted by Oblivion many times but it just sounds far too big for me to handle.

Chinzon wrote:

Yeah, I've actually deliberately been putting off playing this since I got my 360 back, because I just know it will eat up all my time. In a good way, of course...

Thats what worried me at first but now its got me by the balls I dont care about any other game. In a good way.

I got bit by a Vampire the other day and now i cant go out in the day without loosing energy, unless of course i feed of sleeping scholars/tramps. I found the quest to rid yourself of the burden of Vampirism but its too much like hard work.

Ooh, you should have just got straight to a chapel, would have fixed you up right away. Gonna be too late for that now though..

I got 1000Gs from Oblivion, and I honestly enjoyed every minute of my 60-odd hours. I had a few bugged missions early on, it does have a few problems of course, but it's probably my single most favourite gaming experience of this gen. It was my "Sunday game" for about two months, meaning I'd have it running all day Sunday and not play anything else. Marvelous stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta have a little gush about this again.

Having completed the Fighters, Mages and Arena Storylines, im now sampling the darker side of Cyrodiil in the forms of the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild and its like a new fucking game.

Where as Fighters, Mage and Arena is more action orientated, Thieves and DB are all about the sneaky sneaky, murder in the dark. I normally hate anything to do with stealth (see MGS series) but I like the way its done in this game - what footwear you have on affects others ability to detect you, the more you sneak around the better at sneaking you become, all that sort of thing.

Just had to break into someones house undetected, creep upstairs, find the entrance to the crawlspace so as to loosen the fastinings to a mount that was situated abouve this old geezers chair to help him have...an accident. He only sits in his chair between 8 - 11pm but his manservent prowls around the house randomly. I managed to get in undetected at about 10am so i had to spend the rest of the day looting his bedroom (when i dared duck out of the crawlspace) and hiding untill the right time (you can hist the BACK button to activate a waiting period so its not like u have to wait real time). Then it was release the mount, crush the cunt and sneak out of the house with a backpack full of his goodies.

Thats just one mission out of hundreds, but there are still plenty of surprises after 55 hours of gameplay. Cant knock that for £17.99.

Yea, its definately one of those, if you were a kid who got 1 game a year youd be laufghing till the mext time jolly old St Nick squeezed ass past the dead pigeons.

Once your into it it has this magnetic pull, once you understand the game and what the fuck you have to do to survive and get stonger. I want to start another game but it feels wrong to abandon this now ive done so much. But when i sit down and think 'Hmmm, what to play?', i play Oblivion.

Double-postorama.

Ive had a few corrupt save files, Tuesday mornings early game session was reduced to a half hour panic-a-thon going through my game saves, hoping to find one would load that wasnt too far from what I had been doing. The files that corrupted would try to load, then the background music would stop and the 360 itself would just freeze.

Luckily ive heard from many a source to stagger your saves, i have about 15 that i cycle through and I was up and running again with only five mins to replay.

60 hours in and getting very little sleep. When i do sleep i dream about Oblivion - trufax.

• 4 weeks later...

So, 73 hours in and....

I dont want to play it anymore. The one thing ive not enjoyed in this game is closing Oblivion gates, they suck, and now i have to close about 12 in a row. :(. I just cant summon up the enthusiasm to do it. What a shit ending!

eh? You only *have* to close three gates to finish the game. Is it the one with all the different areas - "Tower of Tsunami" and that? Just whack the difficulty down and check a faq, you don't want to remembered as a quitter do ya!?

Dont give up now Illy.

Think of all the time you have put in. All those fantastic game invites i have sent you while you have been playing Oblivion. Dont let them go to waste.

I am sure you can finish it pretty quickly as my flatmate caned hi s way through it and got most of the achievements while i was spending hours and hours and barely got any :-(

That was my lowest point in the game - by the end I'd done it twice, as the first time it appeared just as a random gate. You can imagine how I fared with that, just 5 hours into the game...

Dude, thats harsh, its a real shitter. Obviously at this stage the enemies werent so bad but the Gate itself is cows arse fudge.

So have u bothered with Shivering Isles?