passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

XBL Indie Games

Hendo

oh yeah, I bought Soul ages ago and finally got round to play it a few days ago.

I hate it, any attempt at atmosphere is ruined by my short temper with these sort of games.

I haven't check the indie games out lately, I have a bit of time on my hands again these days so I'll be having another look soon enough.

shooter demos are usually pretty pointless, althought leave home is pretty short (5mins) so there isn't much more after the demo iirc? and yeah depending on how well you do it gets harder/easier, but i didn't like that mode all that much, i enjoyed the max difficulty mode more (which i think you have to unlock) because the difficulty seemed to depend a lot on how much stuff you collect at the start, so if you miss a lot, which i kept doing, it was too easy. i think it's more a personal thing, leave home is just more my sort of game, main reason is probably that when i died i knew why, shoot 1up was good but a bit more of a mess imo, you have so many ships it's often hard to tell what's going on, and when it started to scroll all over the place i got pretty confused too, they're the sort of things i don't like in shooters, don't regret spending the 80 points on it though, well worth that!

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the first post with pretty much everything that's been recommended so far, if you have anything you want adding just say the word.

Links to the marketplace would be handy and I'm trying to put a brief genre description in there too.

That's pretty good, I got to the end of the trial and I might unlock the full thing at some point.

I tried Gerbil Physics before, it's not a bad puzzle game. The physics are a bit iffy in places though.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

• 3 weeks later...

So I tried a smattering of what XBIG's had to offer last night.

Some parkour game where you presses A or B in time to the surroundings. It was shit.

I played a game where you controlled a penguin that had to crack ice and avoid walruses. It was shit.

I played Leave Home, which was some psychedelic shooter. I was expecting good things. It was shit.

I played the Gerbil Physics game Hendo mentioned. I liked it. I might consider a purchase some time if I have some points left over. I bet it gets really hard though.

I played Shoot 1-UP. It was great and needs to be picked up and expended on in the same way the Dishwasher was. It looks a little rough around the edges, but said spit and polish and some guidance from the pro's could make that really special. Yes Special.

This could easily also go in the Shmup thread but here we have a very promising shooter, apparently coming in May.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

While I'm here I must remember to buy that Soulcaster game.

This could easily also go in the Shmup thread but here we have a very promising shooter, apparently coming in May.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

that looks really cool! found some more info on the shmups forum:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30849

Got a few new (for me) indie games to try out today:

Colony Defense - 400 points

FlipSide - 80 points

Flotilla - 400 points

Headshot and Head Shot 2 - 80 points

Pew Pew Pod - 80 points

The Impossible Avatar Getaway - 80 points

The Impossible Game - 80 points

You Will Die - 80 points

Also, Gameloft are making Indie games now, this looks promising:

Flotilla - 400 points

I picked this up on the PC recently, I really like it. It comes from Blendo games (the guy who made Gravity Bone).

It's space combat game that does a great job of implementing combat in a 3D environment. You give orders to your ships then press go and everything is carried out at the same time. It's got a slo-mo 2001 balletic kind of vibe to it at times.

The adventure mode is fun, I haven't managed to get to the end of it yet. I always end up taking on more than I can handle. Damn space penguins.

I gave that a quick try but turn-based strategies don't sit well with me. Worth trying if it's your bag though.

So I went through them all quickly and here's first thoughts:

Colony Defense - 400 points

A bit rough and ready but a decent stab at a tower defense. It's cheap as chips so worth a look.

FlipSide - 80 points

This is mega hard. I was telling Sly about it on Live.

You control two ships with a thumbstick for each and it's just ridiculous.

Headshot and Head Shot 2 - 80 points

These are really crude single screen lightgun style games, a bit like Silent Scope. I think the 2nd one is better than the original but don't expect much if you're gonna try them out.

Pew Pew Pod - 80 points

This is another one that requires a video.

It's a twin stick shooter but you change the colour of your shots via the four face buttons.

The Impossible Avatar Getaway - 80 points

The Impossible Game - 80 points

These are ridiculous but simple platform games where you have to memorise whether to jump or duck. Very crude looking (especially the one without avatar support) but if you like a challenge you should take a look.

You Will Die - 80 points

It's a side-scrolling shmup. Nuff said.

Inside Xbox have got Rab from Consolevania to make a short show on Indie games, only about 5 minutes and is up now. It's called "The Independint Charles Show", spelling mistake intentional.

One I tried off the back of it is Run Away! which is only 80 points and is in the vein of the Impossible games, but the charm level is through the roof. I was discussing these kind of things with Sly and I always maintain that I can forgive a lot of roughness for things like this, and you should check out the credits on this game. :)

Developer interview here.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>