passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

XBL Indie Games

Hendo

ah fair enough, i quite like the art/music too, regarding the idea it gets harder the better you do, that's a really common thing in shooters, but this does it with the environment and obstacles and stuff which seems like a pretty cool idea, most shooters it's usually stuff like more enemies, more bullets and faster.

• 5 weeks later...

unclear if this is of any use to anyone but if you enter the dream build play XNA competition thing you get 12 months trial membership so you can deploy your own games on the 360, it's not full membership though as you can't sell any games you may or may not make.

I played the trials of a few indie games lately, trials atleast.

Blow.

This is a puzzler where you guide bubbles using fans, you can change the effects of the fan. Make it faster/slower to blow further/shorter or even make them hot or cold to make the bubbles rise or dip more. If the level design was good I could see it being decent, thing is it was a timed trial and I ran out of time the moment the game gave me control, just when I was getting intrigued. :rolleyes:

Heavy Weapon(?).

Not sure if that is the name but it was something instantly forgettable like that. The game wasn't to bad, its a Contra run and gun thing with twin-stick controls. I'm not sure about the art in it, I think its meant to look as odd as it does but I just didn't like it. You have a spider back pack which lets you stick to ceilings and walls which I thought was neat, don't think I'd get it, though.

Ninja Bros.

I quite liked this one and I may put down some cash for it. A platform/puzzler where you control multiple ninjas at once, and they are coloured the same as the face buttons on the controller and they jump when that colour is pressed. They are locked in their own mini level and its just a case of navigating them without getting one of your dudes killed, even the trial showed some interesting levels so I'd say its worth a look atleast.

There are a few more I played, terrible games I suppose but they really have a ROFLWTF thing going for them and I'm going to put up spoilers becuase I think they really need to be seen first hand to be believed.

Cassie's Corner.

Its a quiz but the most ridicules one I've witnessed. With questions along the lines of "How long does your hair grow in your lifetime?" Just, shit no-one knows. Its saving grace is Cassie herself, you will not of seen a quizmaster like her... I can't begin to explain, look for yourself.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still, great tits.

Who Did I Date Last Night?

This one is some sort of lad's mag version of Guess Who. You suffer from some condition where you can only remember a brief description of the girl you 'dated'. With that description you have you then have to choose from a bevy of ladies who look like they have been plucked from FHM's Highstreet Honeys 2002 runners up. I didn't know if I guessed right because I had to buy the game to see if I was right , I wasn't going to lose sleep over it.

The Headsman.

If this was a minigame in an existing game it would be awesome. A line of guys are walking up to the block to be beheaded and along the bottom of the screen are moving baskets worth varying amounts of points.. and thats it.. apart from the odd music video of some metal band playing in the background. Its just all really bizzare. I guess they wanted to do a similar thing to what I MEAD A GAME.... was but unfortunatly - while still amusing - its all a bit tragic... Except when you're doing well and they march up to the block throwing out the devil horns.

That'll do.

Have you seen Don't B Nervous Talking 2 Girls?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GiantBomb put it on their Indie quick look and duly ripped it apart, as you'd expect.

Isnt Heavy Weapon the XBLA one when your the tank?

I tried that cassies corner trial, seemed to take forever and cudnt even see my score coz i have to pay -.-

It probably isn't Heavy Weapon then, I should atleast remember the name of a game I do a little impression on. <_<

Yeah, same here with Cassie's Corner, after the trial I felt I'd had enough of Cassie, but I do wonder what the delivery is like on the other questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the game you're thinking of is Weapon of Choice?

Played some more bits and bobs.

Crate Expectations is a turn-based puzzley action game, errr, kind of. To be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing in it.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Mithra : Episode 1 is a surprisingly well made 3rd person adventure game, bit point and clicky. Some of the voice acting and character design is a bit ropey and shows its indie-ness (the main character you play looks ridiculous) but it's a bloody good job they've done of it.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Pixelpix is a picross game for only 80 points, very bare design and art style but does what it sets out to. Worth it if you like picross.

Soul is my favourite in a long while, really can't recommend it enough. The art style is beautifully drawn and is really polished with some fantastic lighting effects.

The gameplay is like those electrical buzzer games you get on fairgrounds where you have to weave your device through the maze without touching the sides.

I went through the trial version until the time ran out and then I paid up, unfortunately I've had two errors crap the game up and take me to the dashboard which is a pain, but still, it's 80 points and you should certainly check the demo out.

Square Off I've downloaded the trial of, might buy the full game.

It's a twin-stick shooter but you have to use the right trigger to shoot. Awesome art style, very much like The Behemoth (who did Castle Crashers).

Soul is my favourite in a long while, really can't recommend it enough. The art style is beautifully drawn and is really polished with some fantastic lighting effects.

The gameplay is like those electrical buzzer games you get on fairgrounds where you have to weave your device through the maze without touching the sides.

I went through the trial version until the time ran out and then I paid up, unfortunately I've had two errors crap the game up and take me to the dashboard which is a pain, but still, it's 80 points and you should certainly check the demo out.

Graphical style is pretty good, but I didn't like the sound, or the heavy-handed approach it took to trying to be scary. The screaming woman thing was annoying, too.

I dunno, I like the approach with the style. I can imagine that this kind of game, the most obvious kind of style would be something child-like (to go with the fairground history) so I appreciate that they went completely in the opposite angle with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in my status update, but in case I change it, I thought I'd stick it in the relevant thread.

Everyone with a 360 who likes old skool platformers needs to try Arkedo Series 03 Pixel! on XBL Indies. It looks stunning, and plays great. 240 points.

Seriously. It's awesome. :)

• 2 weeks later...

/\ deserves more love. I'm a few levels in now and have really taken to it. It's better than the majority of XBLA releases.

I've just downloaded a bunch of trials; Kaleidoscope, Your Doodles are Bugged!, Tobe's Vertical Adventure, Soul, and Plucky's 3D Adventure.

I could've sworn I posted before about the Arkedo series, yep played 3 of them and they're brilliant. Really very polished with some original twists.

I've got some more points on my account so I'll be trying out some more, will be having a look at that Fish and Waterstereo one.

Downloaded avatar meet up, its cack, you cant move and all it does is let you do different expessions, they even spell wave wrong, they wrote waive, thats just shit.

Avatar boogie is shit as well, cnt even dance as ur own avatar, its basically another thing for u to watch, u can put up to 50 avatas on one floor n watch em dance...

The only good one i downloaded out of these 3 is Yet Another Zombie Defense Game. Theres one lampost and darkness around you, cant see anything until zombies appear in the light, after every wabe of zombies you have money to buy weapons and barricades, play it long enough and have a good stratergy, it could be quite fun.

shoot 1up is out now, it looks nice and is only 80 points, it's aimed more at the mass market so isn't supposed to be anything like bullet hell so not sure i'll like it but to most people that's probably a good thing. not tried it yet but i plan to buy it anyway.

also not sure if Decimation X has already been mentioned, i tried the demo and it's pretty good, also 80 points, i only had 60 points at the time though! next time i go on indie games i'll be buying it, it was a lot more fun than i thought it'd be.

I've been playing something called Fish and Waterstereo or something. Childlike graphics, awful controls but can't stop smiling when I play it.

I think that's the one I tried, I thought it was awful! I like simple games but the controls are just terrible.

shoot 1up is out now, it looks nice and is only 80 points, it's aimed more at the mass market so isn't supposed to be anything like bullet hell so not sure i'll like it but to most people that's probably a good thing. not tried it yet but i plan to buy it anyway.

I just tried this and for 80 points it seems a bargain, mind, I've only played the trial so no idea how much longer the full game is, but there's 2 player co-op, multiple routes and a pretty good ship design where you keep getting ships added onto your fleet and you can expand and contract your ships and make a beast of a weapon out of them.

I only tried it on the easiest setting and it did seem pretty relaxing so at least easy was actually easy.

I think I tried Decimation X and wasn't overly fussed about it, I'll give it another go though.

yeah i just tried shoot 1up too, enjoyed it and bought the full game, went through it all once on normal, where it gets quite hectic at the end but you get so many lives its not a big problem, it is quite a bit longer than the demo, maybe 5 levels total? thought it was pretty good :) think i prefer leave home as far as indie shooters go but that is 3x the price!