passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ashes To Ashes

Hendo

Me and Sam were talking about this last night.

Anyone seen the first episode?

As I type this I think it has one day left on the BBC iPlayer but as I don't watch TV that's gonna be invaluable for me over the next few weeks.

I thought it was a bit underwhelming. The Bowie references were a bit over the top and the woman is pretty annoying at the moment. And her kid is pretty grating too.

Mind you, having said that, there was Zippy and Bungle in it, more Gene Hunt which is never a bad thing, and his two lackeys have never looked funnier looking like Miami Vice cast-offs.

It's good that this time the main character knows what's going on, but I hope that there's a decent twist at the end.

I was quite impressed with the first episode, mainly because I was half way through playing some game (I dont remember it, which shows how the episode pulled me in) and I was fully expecting to be underwhelmed and hate this because John Simm's character was no longer in it. I was totally pulled back into it, and found myself enjoying it and fully willing to bear with it and see where it goes, as I had to do with the last two series.

Her character is annoying, but I dont think the audience is meant to like her. As I said t'other night (thats for Ben) I have a feeling they will go with a redemption storyline where she ends up getting it dead wrong and then we feel sorry for her. I wish theyd not got rid of that other woman cop who was on the last one because I dont think that they sorted that character out very well.

I think as a whole the series is clever and quite funny, and although I dont try to pretend that I was around all that much in the 80's theres still a feeling of nostalgia thats not done in a shit way. Different strokes an all that but at the minute this is one of my favourite things on telly.

I was unsure about it, Life on Mars was like those 70's cop shows but with a guy with modern values stuck in it, where as I found Ashes to Ashes was almost like a parody of the 80's. I cringed slightly when Gene came down the river on a speedboat armed with Uzi. I hope that It was just that one episode that sucked a bit then we can get back to what made Life on Mars great.

• 1 year later...

Thought we had a thread for this, but couldnt find it on a search.

The new series kicked off tonight and its just as great as I remember it, cant wait to see the next one. Fair enough its the kind of programme that teases out the story over the course of a whole series, but it doesnt try to hide that or disguise it, and the journey you are taken along is an enjoyable one. Dean Andrews and Marshall Lancaster as Ray and Chris are wonderful as the Biggs and Wedge of the series.

• 1 year later...

I liked Life on Mars but only started watching this a couple of weeks back. It's surprisingly good considering it should really be shit. Continuing after the main character leaves, stretching a 1 series idea into another 3 etc, but it's good despite all that.

I'm a bit confused as to the back story tho. I remember Simms character from LoM

if i remember right he gets shot in the past during a train robbery/walks down the train tunnel? then sorts some shit back in real life

What I'm struggling with is the relevance he has to this series. I dont get why there's a mystery around him. I'm sure it's because I've missed 2 series so can anyone fill me in?

Also the internal investigations officer or whatever he is is a bit of a shit character. There's no subtlety to him at all. The woman would simply counter everything he says about Hunt with the fact he's as manipulative and twattish as Gene.

Also the actor who plays him winds me up. He's a good actor, he was in Red Riding and was brilliant in that, he maybe over does things in this but im not sure thats his fault. But I'm sure he was in some wank channel 4 comedy that somewhere my brain still associates him with

I've missed this whole series, bar one episode I ended up watching accidentally, so I'll have to wait till it pops up on DVD.

Is it properly over or are they continuing with a new series or new show?