passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shadowrun

Sambob

Picked this up on the weekend for 12 quid, because i wanted to get it ages ago but had heard bad things about it.

Its alright, itd different to a lot of the FPS games out there at the minute. Its a little bit like if Bioshock had a multiplayer mode. It doesnt look anywhere near as good as bioshock, and to be honest, theres not really a single player game in there anywhere. The songle player is literally learning to use the powers and then playing a match against bots..

I can imagine it being quite a lot of fun against other players, although it takes a while to get used to the powers and you will need to have played for a while before you are anywhere near good. The game is played in a series of rounds and if you die, then you are dead until the next round, unless somebody has the 'resurect' power and then you can be brought back to life once per round, provided the person who brought you back doesnt die(it can be quite complicated, and you really do need to play a few games to get to grips with it).

Some of the powers are quite good, theres teleport which moves you 8 metres along in the direction you are traveling, allowing you to move through walls and up or down floors. There are powers like strangle which creates a kind of rocky plant thing which grabs and injures anyone attempting to pass through it. There is a gust power, which is effectively a push, you can turn yourself into smoke which means you take no damage from bullets or falls, but you get seriously hurt if someone uses a gust.

There are other powers and a fancy system for using magic, and theres guns too. Its not a terrible game but you need to bare with it and its very much a mulitplayer game, that you need to be good at to enjoy, and much as I enjoyed playing it, I cant recommend picking it up unless you find it cheap.

Yeah its a shame because it the kind of game that you could enjoy but you really need some mates to enjoy it. I suppose thats pretty much the only bit thats faithful to the game its supposed to be based on(not played the board version of it).

I think from here theres only one other person that has it. You can still play quick games on it, but its just you and 7 computer players against 8 computer players, which gets boring quickly, especially when you are shit like me and you die early and have to watch the final 3 minutes of the game, while the computer players shoot your body so you cant be brought back to life...

i never even heard it was on the SNES or a board game. I love the game, its like another game like Tactical Ops or Counter Strike but with added magic.

Its a nice game to play now and then but i agree its alot better with more friends.

only £12 tho ;]

This game is fantastic sambob!

I got it a while back when it came out cos i thought it looked cool and just fell in love with it.

Its downsides are that it IS very hard to get to grips with... but this is what give it its depth. If you invest the time and learn to play each character well you will get so much out of it.

I am currently perfecting my dwarf build.

Admittedly though that it does work better when you have friends to play with as you can get more tactical. Such a shame they are not developing for it anymore.

My xbox tag is dirtyCAT79 so give me a shout if you ever fancy a match. My other flatmate has it too on his xbox so we could get a small team up and running for you in no time.

I think its a good game for sure, but at the same time I couldnt recommend it because you really do have to try hard to find the game in it.

I can have enough fun out of it against the bots, but even against the bots i spend a good 2 minutes out of the 3 minute round dead and waiting for it to end.

I like running around with Gust, transport and the katana, but it makes me wish thered be a good star wars game for LIVE so I could do that instead. I loved Jedi Knight 2 when i had it on the cube, the multiplayer was great, and thats what Shadowrun reminds me of.

do you not have xbox live then?

Online its a very different game from the bots... and in some ways easier.

For one the bots cheat! Seriously.

Also online.. you find your builds evolving.

At first the majority of people played Katana weilding elves with smoke.... so i equiped gust (which damages people in smoke as well as blowing them away from you) which got me my elf killer achievement in no time.

People have wisened up to this now though, so you dont see too much smoke anymore....

The human is the best class to start out with.

Buy a tree (for healing) as your first purchase. I never buy a weapon at start because if you die you loose it whereas magic you keep.

YOu can usually always nick someone elses weapon after they die too.

Next round i would go for gust.. as it disorientates people and makes them less accurate and can often give you the edge in a face to face showdown.

Res is also handy as it can earn you lots of cash.

I agree with you though.. you do really have to work hard to find the game in it and i acutally went out and bought the Strategy guide to get to grips with it.

Thing is... the more you play, and the better you get, and the more you can vary your builds.. the mor eyou get out of it..

I actually went right back to playing shadowrun a month after Halo 3 was released, because Halo3 was giving me nothing new...

• 4 years later...

ShadowRun: Returns

PC, Mac and Tablets

Character Archetypes

Mage

In the Shadowrun game world, Mayan predictions prefaced dramatic changes to the world in the 21st century, and those predictions manifested through the birth of strange races like elves, dwarves, and orks, but also through the innate ability to wield magic by some individuals. These mages can detect the auras of other individuals, even tracking them when they pass behind walls. Mages also detect ley lines in the environment where their magical power will be further enhanced.

Street Samurai

These powerful warriors are the martial masters of the Shadowrun universe, wielding smart weapons that are directly connected to their bodies’ reflexes. For players who want to slash and gun their way to victory, the street samurai is an ideal starting place.

Decker

The hackers of the Shadowrun World, Deckers utilize cyberdecks to jack into the Matrix (an idea in Shadowrun that predates the popular films) and steal information. The Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics (ICE) that they encounter when infiltrating a system are as deadly as armed guards. Sometimes, facilities have pulled their networks off the Matrix, and a Decker will need to physically get into a building before being able to jack in.

Shaman

The mysterious shaman archetype has gained the ability to summon forth spirits into the world. They utilize an aboriginal totem to find summoning points in the world from which they may draw out powerful spirits to harness in battle. Numerous spirit types exist, including nature, elemental, hearth, and toxic spirits.

Rigger

The “drivers” of the Shadowrun universe may not be piloting massive vehicles through the tactical battlefields of the game, but Riggers will manifest their powers through other potent means in battle. Cybertech allows riggers to control different types of drones, completing everything from reconnaissance to bringing heavy firepower into a forward position.

Physical Adept

Physical Adepts combine martial arts mastery with magical use to dominate opponents in hand-to-hand combat. By melding the physical and magical arts into a unified form, these melee masters can disarm opponents or attack multiple adjacent targets with a whirling roundhouse kick.

http://www.gameinfor...ne-feature.aspx

Looks pretty cool, reading over the impressions from back in the day make me wish this had worked out better as it had a lot of potential. I hope this remake turns out well, although as some of the comments said, im worried about playing a tablet RPG on PC, it could look/play pretty badly.

• 4 months later...

Why is this hash tagged as coming to 360? It's not coming to 360.

Anyways, bought this on Steam today at a discounted price. Now it will sit in my Steam library and mock me till it's June release.

Look at the date. This thread is for the fps. :) We should make a new thread for Returns when it comes out.

Yep, it's been #1 on my wishlist ever since it appeared on Steam. I'm going to play through the Snes game in preparation.

Why is this hash tagged as coming to 360? It's not coming to 360.

Anyways, bought this on Steam today at a discounted price. Now it will sit in my Steam library and mock me till it's June release.

Look at the date. This thread is for the fps. :) We should make a new thread for Returns when it comes out.

Yep, it's been #1 on my wishlist ever since it appeared on Steam. I'm going to play through the Snes game in preparation.

:blush: Making a thread now.