iTunes

retroed

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jimbo, that iTunes Genius seems to be a load of balls. Every song on my iTunes that i click Genius on is apparently 'not available' for Genius unless i update. Which i do. Which then it still doesnt recogninse. Am i doing it wrong?

Jimbo, that iTunes Genius seems to be a load of balls. Every song on my iTunes that i click Genius on is apparently 'not available' for Genius unless i update. Which i do. Which then it still doesnt recogninse. Am i doing it wrong?

yes you are a retard...

You need to let genius up load and download music data from apple's end, try that, otherwise i'm not to sure. Try turning it on and off again.

• 2 months later...

Probably the only decent news out of this years' Macworld - no more DRM in the iTunes Store. :)

clicky

Apple Inc has agreed to start selling digital songs from its iTunes store without copy protection software.

At present, most music downloaded from Apple's iTunes store can only be played through an iTunes interface or iPod.

The agreement with Sony BMG, Universal, and Warner Music will end digital rights management (DRM) software currently attached to iTunes music.

The changes were announced at the end of the keynote address, at the Macworld conference in San Francisco.

Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, Phil Schiller delivered the speech, traditionally given by Steve Jobs.

"Over the last six years songs have been $0.99 [79p]. Music companies want more flexibility. Starting today, 8 million songs will be DRM free and by the end of this quarter, all 10 million songs will be DRM free," he told the crowd.

Apple has also revised its pricing structure, offering a two-tier system with songs available for $0.69 and $1.29. Prices will vary slightly in the UK.

At present, the firm has a one-price-fits-all strategy - currently 79p per track - with no subscription fee.

The new model will have a varied pricing structure, with what the company calls "better quality iTunes Plus" costing more.

It remains to be seen whether music already purchased from iTunes would have its DRM stripped off.

The move could potentially spell the end for DRM limited music, which was never popular with users or the record industry.

Mark Mulligan, a director with market analysts Jupiter Research, said the end of DRM - in its current form - was inevitable.

"The only reason it has taken so long is that the record industry has been trying to level the playing field, by giving away DRM free to everyone else, but even that hasn't dented Apple's share," said Mr Mulligan.

"Ultimately, what we're going to end up with is a new form of DRM. The more you pay, the less DRM you get bolted onto your music. Premium music will be DRM free, the cheaper it gets, the more shackles are attached," he added.

In 2007 Apple's CEO, Steve Jobs, published an open letter called 'Thoughts on Music' in which he called on the three big record companies to ditch DRM.

I've held off till now from buying music from the Store but I might get the odd album now. There's some decent "exclusive" session albums they do which I'd bother with, still prefer buying CD's for stuff that's available in the shops, but probably in a year or two I'll stop even buying music in a physical form.

I've bought a few things from amazons new download store. They've done it the right way for the most part, good quality and way less than a cd would cost (£3-£4). I say for the most part because there's stuff I want that's still £8

I will be going for Amazons downloads I think - the last clutch of CDs i bought were made available on Amazon a couple of days later for £3 each :( I'd just bought them on iTunes for 8 quid. I haven't bought a CD for ages now - its all been bought on iTunes.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Installed iTunes 9, seems pretty swish. Looks like they've got sharing working properly, does this fix DC's earlier problem?

On a related note, I noticed that the voice memo I recorded on my phone shows up in a separate playlist on iTunes. I tried emailing the memo from the phone but it will only email memos that are 2 minutes in length. However, in iTunes it has the full thing and best of all, it's really good quality. I recorded myself playing acoustic guitar a few weeks ago, just the chords to work out a second part. I played it in iTunes and it's really clear.

I'm gonna stick the phone in the middle of the room in practice tomorrow and I might have some decent quality recordings to upload! First time playing the guitar in a band in a long time. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

What's the easiest, most efficient way of getting my account and iTunes music from my old computer to my new laptop?

I believe it's not as simple as just connecting my iPod to the new laptop. There's an option for Home Sharing, any good?

I have authorised my laptop with iTunes, it says I have used 2 out of 5 authorisations, which is correct.

What's the easiest, most efficient way of getting my account and iTunes music from my old computer to my new laptop?

I believe it's not as simple as just connecting my iPod to the new laptop. There's an option for Home Sharing, any good?

I have authorised my laptop with iTunes, it says I have used 2 out of 5 authorisations, which is correct.

thats pretty much it. Anything you have brought from iTunes you can now play on your new laptop.

If you want to de-activate the old computer from itunes, log into itunes store and i think go into managment, from there you can de-activate all machines tied to your account then just activate your new laptop (or if you still have your old PC set up, load up itunes and go to advanced > deauthorise audible account)

There is some way of downloading everything you have brought from itunes in one go, but i can't seem to find it at the moment. Also with a little bit of software hacking i think you can transfer all your music files from your ipod to your new computer. Will look for a link. You have a classic don't you?

::EDIT::

ta da

Hmm, I've transferred my purchases, but after following the instructions to transfer everything else, I can't get it to work. I've followed the instructions correctly, but clicking on File, Add Folder to Library and then selecting the hidden iPod Music folder, nothing happens. :unsure: