passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gigs

Urahara

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah they were mostly pretty quiet and restrained and then you'd get the good old fashioned Mogwai noise.

Twice they had strobes running across the whole stage for about 2 minutes non-stop.

So now my ears and eyes really hurt.

• 1 month later...

Went a bit crazy booking shit over the weekend as my work were asking when I wanting my holidays this year.

Booked tickets for:-

Swans in May in a small venue in Aberdeen (wtf!)

Going on a wee Eastern Europe trip in August starting in Bratislava and finishing at the OFF festival in Katowice, Poland. Cost about £40 for the 3 day pass. With 65daysofstatic, DeafHeaven, Fuck Buttons, Wolf Eyes etc all confirmed so far.

Couple of days after coming back from Katowice I have Converge in Glasgow.

And finally in October I'm going to see Clint Mansell in Glasgow. I'm a big soundtrack guy but not really a massive Mansell fan. But it's one of them gigs that if I didn't go I think I would regret it later on. Hopefully he plays some of his Mass Effect stuff too.

So yeah that's my plans. Anyone got any decent gigs/festivals on the horizon?

I'm going to see Nine Inch Nails yet again in May. That should be good. :)

Next month there's a local music festival that unfortunately I couldn't get on this year, but tickets are about 20 or 30 quid depending on if you want all the conferences or not.

There's comedy for the first time and they have a few relatively well known names - Norman Lovett (the original Holly in Red Dwarf), Gary Delaney and John Cooper Clarke are the ones that spring to mind.

The bands are not always well known although last year they had Charlotte Church, this year they have Bastions.

http://www.focuswales.com/

• 2 months later...

And that's Nine Inch Nails done for a third time.

The support was a band called Cold Cave. The main guy (the singer, and meant to be a one man thing in the studio) used to be a hardcore vocalist in a band but wanted to do stuff on his own so went electronic because he's a bit limited by being born with only one hand!

• 4 months later...

Went to that there Manchester with a mate to The Deaf Institute which I've never been in before. Huge ass mirrorball in such a tiny venue.

It was a double bill of Grant Lee Phillips (of Grant Lee Buffalo) and Howe Gelb of Giant Sand.

Phillips was amazing, really good guy, great songs, great singer, really humbled to be playing to a crowd that loved him.

Gelb was a tool who took about 10 minutes to start his first song and even then got to the first chorus and stopped because he couldn't remember it.

At some point I was convinced it was a scam that he was trying to push how far he could take it and do a gig without actually playing a full song.

He even stopped a song part way through to change the keyboard sound from piano to strings, played the string section then stopped and changed back.

It was a painful performance. I only stayed just to see how bad it could get.

• 9 months later...

Got a few gigs lined up:

Sufjan Steven - August 29

The Tallest Man on Earth - October 21

Richard Hawley - October 30

The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses - November 22

Tobias Jesso Jr. - December 4

I'm splurging all my money that I haven't spent all year... Those Zelda tickets cost over €100 but fuck it, should be worth it.

Haven't been to a gig in a few months.

A friend of Monica's is a promoter and manager for some local rock bands, and we've been to a few of the unsigned band nights she arranges, they're always fun (and we get in free, which a nice bonus).

The last gig I went to was a double bill of Josh Harty & Kelley Mcrae in a tiny cafe in Birmingham in April. That was really good.

The next one is Jurassic 5 in September.

• 1 month later...

Jurassic 5 were awesome last night. Great atmosphere, and they're still really good at putting on a show. Monica wanted to be at the front because she's a shortarse and wanted to be able to see, we were front row quite near the centre so had a great view.

In the encore they announced what songs they were going to do, and asked for requests from the audience for ones they hadn't done. They'd then do the song until one of the messed up/forgot their verse (presumably because they don't rehearse the ones that aren't in the show). That was a lot of fun.

They've got a song called 'Thin Line', about a man & woman who are best friends but struggling with stronger feelings and the worries it would ruin the friendship (it's ok. Not one of my favourites).

Anyway, on this tour it appears that during his verse, Soup sits in front of a woman in the crowd and hands her a bunch of flowers at the end. He chose Monica this time.

Some other woman appeared disappointed not to be picked, we noticed over the course of the gig she got closer and closer to Monica and I think she tried to pull a flower from the bunch. In the end Monica gave her one and she went away, we had a laugh about that.

Also: I've seen them before so knew Akil is short. But, he went into the crowd during the gig last night and vanished. He's tiny. I'd be surprised if he's more than 5ft tall.

• 2 months later...

I just checked the date on my Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses ticket.

Sunday 22 November.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

(At least I was working that Sunday)

I've been to two concerts recently, The Tallest Man on Earth and Richard Hawley. They were both decent concerts but in a terrible venue (Vicar Street). Not worth making a solo trip to Dublin for. If I'm going there again I'll save myself the discomfort of not having room to breathe and buy myself a seated ticket.

I'm going to see some jazz fusion band called The Aristrocrats in a couple of weeks time whom I've never heard of.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw The Aristocrats in The Grand Social in Dublin last night, great gig. They are some kind of jazz fusion virtuoso trio with a guitar, drummer and bass player. It's not the kind of music I listen to but to be honest it was a blast. Great atmosphere there and they really interacted with the crowd well, telling stories between songs (which were all 5-10 minutes long). It had a bit of everything and they even played the theme tune to Father Ted.