passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wii is one year old!

David

Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of the Wii's release in America. (Was it really all that time ago).

So, I was thinking, how would you rate it's 1st year?

A big thumbs up from me. I've had so much fun with the console over the past year with Wii Sports, Zelda, Wario Ware and Mario etc etc.

The VC has taken tons of my money too.

So, what would you say of the Wii after a year?.

I totally agree, so it may not have had quite as many triple a titles as the xbox has now, but for its first year its done me proud indeed. super paper mario, re4 wii ed., mario strikers, super mario galaxy, metroid prime 3 and twilight princess have been the full wii game highlights for me. and theres a fair amount of pedigree there, im sure youll agree! The VC has let me go back in time and nail Paper Mario, a game i couldnt afford at the time, Sin and Punishment, a game we never got the chance to play and its so awesome, and old Mario games like lost levels and smb3. ive had a great time with it so far, i really have. but this seems to polarise people, not everyone thinks all that is enough!

The VC has more than proved its worth to me.

Yeah the games might be overpriced, 50Hz and with no extra features, but it does what it says on the tin.

No demos is a bit of a pisser, but for the person like me that hadn't played plenty of proper classics or hadn't played some of my old favourites in years (and I just can't get my head round playing games on a PC - you know what I'm getting at - to me, when I think of games I think of chillin' on a couch or kicking back in bed), it's perfect.

It's also given me a great excuse to play some Cube games again, but sadly that's due to it being a bit of a slow year.

WarioWare was disappointing (but fun at first), Excite Truck was teh awesome, Mario Strikers was half great, half pants, Resi 4 showed how ports should be done, Metroid Prime 3 showed how FPS controls can work on the Wii and Galaxy showed that those special games do still exist.

Having said that, I should've taken the games editor of gTM's advice and only bought Zelda with the machine (and Wii Sports, naturally) as the launch line-up was average at best. How could they screw up Monkey Ball?!

I think it's kind of gone as expected. I, and probably most here, said to give the Wii a year and the games wold arrive, and thats exactly what's happened. Metroid and Mario are a great end to the year, and even though some games have been put back, it just means we're going to be starting next year on a high. Zak & Wiki, NiGHTS, SSBB, No More Heroes, etc

That said there's no doubting that it was a year of teething troubles. I dont mind the ports so much as that enough of them werent good. Same with the mini games.

That said, I've played some great Wii games this year, even if a lot of them have either been ignored by others or would have been by me had there been a bigger game out. Saturday night was the first time in... I cant even remember the last time we spent a night playing multiplayer games and the Wii wasnt the focus. And even then we played some wii.

Great console, doesnt deserve the hate it gets, but then probably none of them do

I think the year has been....Okay. It certainly hasn't been any worse than any other console, I think all of them have had ropey first years, but I was worried as there was nothing spectacular between Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario, I suppose there was Resident Evil 4 but I had the Cube version I was still more than happy with.

If it wasn't for the VC, the Wii could of been collecting alot of dust, its pricey, but there is certainly alot of ejoyable nostalgia to be had.

I think we are going to be in for a treat the year to come though.

A year old eh? My how time flies.

Not been quite the year I hoped for, the obvious reason applies - not enough calibur titles. But not to say there wasnt a pick of good ones tho. Excite Truck, Kororinpa and Sonic cant be scoffed at, and Zelda: TP may possibly be my favorite game of all time. Its almost time to start it again...

Im still making my way through Metroid, Trauma Centre and Mario Galaxy so I cant pass judgement on them till I finish them but we all know Mario Galaxy is all time top ten material for most.

I would have played my Wii alot more if I hadnt bought a 360, but it was a console in its prime and Im bloody glad I made the leap cos ive played some fucking quality games on it. Saying that tho, if this recent spat of releases is anything to go by the Wii will be taking up much more of my time. Resi Umbrella, Mario + Sonic Olympics and Super Paper Mario will all be gracing my christmas trees under so the new year will definately start with a flurry of Wiimote waving.

Here's to the next year, Smash Bros and hopefully alot more grade A's.

In one year Nintendo showed the world that Everyone likes games.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario showed that classics can be changed and still keep what made them amazing. Metroid Prime 3 showed the world a new way to play FPS.

Now what the Wii lacked.

Online: Mario Strikers Charged was basically the only truly online game on the Wii. Metroid Prime 3 should've had Online arenas. Downloadable demos. A way for people to make friends over the Wii.

Overal, it was a good year made better by the knowledge of amazing games about to hit the shelves.

Hendo wrote:

illdog wrote:
Zelda: TP may possibly be my favorite game of all time. Its almost time to start it again...

Wow! Really? I still haven't got round to finishing it yet, you know. :blush:

For shame.

And yea, i cant remember enjoying a title so much whilst playing it. I dunno, it gives me a little gay feeling in my heart, and its better than Secret of Mana on the SNES which was my favorite game, so thats that.

• 3 weeks later...

That was a good, honest read.

Stated all the facts fairly and plainly and didnt just go off and bash the Wii for reasons undefined.

It has been a good year overall for the Wii, my console got a lot of play time early on in the year with Sports, Zelda and Excite Truck, but it did have a bit of a hibernation stage where i was inclined to buy a 360 for it back catalogue, and classics that probably wont come to the Wii (See GTA4 and Resi 5)

Although thats changed alot in the past few months, Metroid Prime 3 is Excellent, Umbrella Chronicles is just pure fun, but Mario Galaxy is like crack, its addictive. I cant be bothered going for those stars i dont need But i do. I cant help it!

It's even been keeping me away from CoD4 and Assassins Creed...