passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

If I didn't game for extended periods it's probably something I could discount to an extent, as it is I do game for extended periods so its worth weighing up... I know with the choice I made there's zero chance and that's worth a lot.

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Does local dimming tho have the property of being able to light up individual pixels in that black space.

like Nag's already said really it's the backlight split up into loads of sections not individual pixels. mines just a cheaper/old edge lit screen but it still has maybe 7 or so sections (think the better ones might have ~1000? at least in the 100s anyway) and even a basic version like that you can see it definitely helps a bit. it goes a bit nuts sometimes in windows though, it's designed for video/game content, not pc/windows stuff.

edit - seems like people have started using oleds as pc monitors so i'm interested in how that goes as i'd like to get one eventually.

• 8 months later...

You probably know all this but there's a setting in the PS5 to disable it from automatically turning on, using VRR will go to Game mode automatically... there's no way round that (I don't think) and (to the best of my knowledge) streaming on a games console forces hdr even when the picture shouldn't have it so a lot of stuff will look out of wack regardless.

Yeah I've turned off the hdmi link 

The remote is basically a Wii remote, which has its benefits, but I could definitely live without, although if they ported some lightgun games it'd be worth it

The built in browser works with streaming sites which is handy

• 3 weeks later...

Been looking for an OLED for some time now, but had to wait until all the Wedding/Honeymoon stuff was out the way so I knew what kind of funds I'd have left.

Did lots of research and whittled it down to three contenders.

Was looking firstly at the Philips 55" 806 which at £989 or so at Richer Sounds was a bit of a bargain. Looking into it more though it didn't sound like the best with games so the search went on.

This then led me to the Sony 55" A80J which is a little bit more expensive at £1,179 but seemed better for games and packed a slightly brighter newer display tech (from what I can gather). 

The other contender was of course the very popular LG C1  (55" again) which has just gone down in price to £899 thanks to the C2 just coming out. 

After lots of umming and arring and pleading with the Wife, I happened to look at a few reviews for the Brand new LG C2 55" - which looks a step up from the C1 but quite a bit more expensive - and decided to go for it. So yeah, very happy and can't wait for it to arrive at some point in the next 5-7 days.

Wish I could pick it up as they have a store about 8 miles from me but because of the finance I will inevitably have to wait in all day at home. 

I will say as well, during my research Samsung are finally making an OLED which is due out in a few weeks time and it's got some banging reviews. Just a little out my price range though.

Enjoy, I love and loath picking a new TV in equal measures... nowadays there's fucking loads to consider and short of a car or house it can be one of the bigger purchases that gets made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First that’s my friend so shut up

Second my TV is in great condition. A little bit of banding but it’s only noticeable if the right kind of grey is on screen 

Third a £1000! I don’t think I can charge him that I’m good conscience. It’s a lot of money 

I'm not sure, but the reason imo it's not a good deal for maf's friend is slightly cause of price but also cause OLED's having burnout as a problem

His friend might be seeing the focus tension gauges from Guilty Gear Strive soon enough, lol 

(or maybe not, cause I've put way more time into it than maf and didn't see them yet)

LG offer 5 year warranty, but I dunno if maf can pass that on (if he can, then maybe it's a great deal)

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

How much would a used OLED be normally?

I was looking on EBay my TV goes anywhere between £600-£850.

But I have no idea how to sell stuff. Especially something like a TV. But my friend knows how to do that and has other friends to sell things too. So I phoned him and was like “how do I do this?” And he went “I buy it for a £1000 and I can sell mine” 

I was like…err, for real? 

So now I got to look for a TV. A C2 is £400 more than a C1 but seems to be noticeably brighter with not as good BFI

I dunno have to look in to it later. 

Cool, though 👍

I must be a boomer but when I read that a TV is 'spectacularly bright' I just think 'no thanks', lol. 

TVs and modern games are getting in that uncomfortable range for me with the contrast and brightness, especially stuff like FFVII Remake/Horizon (3000 nits is 3-4 times higher than what I have, i think)

tbf tho I'm looking at screens all day anyway