Sign in to follow this  
retroed

New TV

Some games you actually have to enable it in game (although the only one I can think of off the top of my head is The Last of Us)... You could check the in game options.

Destiny has a toggle aswell. 

I don't remember GoW having to set anything. 

Pretty sure I had to enable it on PS4 somewhere and each TV will be unique in its HDR setting. Usually you choose the right HDMI or enable it. 

Ok, turns out the HDR setting for GoW is very hidden in a place called screen calibration. I turned it on and I can see it now. The HDR brings out details that are obscured while it's off and light sources have a luminescence that they didn't have before. It's better contrast, details are separated out better. Particles sort of "burn" when you kill enemies.

That said I'm not finding it mind-blowing either. A feeling I think which is a combination of already playing this game once over and seeing all the graphics in 1080 where they are still very impressive and also cause this is a mid-range TV offering a basic HDR implementation.

But it is nice to know it is there and the effect works cause I had written my TV's HDR off entirely until I found the setting.

Whenever Destiny hasn't triggered my TV into HDR (only happened once or twice) I notice immediately. Everything's muted and colours have less 'pop'. 

It's real nice seeing the small subtle shades of contrast. Not just black is black. 

Beautiful in my eyes. 

But anyway nice to see you getting to grips with your new TV. What you looking forward to playing on it most? DMCV?

DMCV, but you know something has been pushing me away from that lately. There's something about the style of the visuals that look a bit... grotty? 🤔

It's that REVII engine maybe

I'm looking forward to Sekiro as well. I actually don't know what comes out next year after March, it's pretty much just RE2, DMC and Sekiro I have on my calendar.