passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

I know you meant that as a pisstake re the X, but between having a place I'm comfortably making my own, sorting myself a decent little social life (man date to see a film last week and a couple of... Ermmmmm... Rendezvous'... With a friend), and trying to sort myself a good routine, I'm totally inclined to agree.

Life is getting good right now.

• 9 months later...

Just buy a hdmi switcher. My TV only has two HDMI and one of those is the arc return for the amp so. I've effectively got one. Hdmi switch can take in 3 HDMI inputs and auto switches depending on what is turned on.

Duronic HDMI Mini Switch Box [ HDS3 ] 3 Port HDMI Auto Switcher | 3x1 Hub - 3 Way Input/1 Way Output) | 1080p High Definition | Ideal for Sky+ HD, Virgin, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Nintendo, DVD and BluRay https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0020426AG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pRn2DbDV871EZ

@Manicm

I've got an LG, it's great for apps. You'd think all tvs more or less have the same but quite a few don't have amazon or don't support 4k hdr through the apps. The LG ones have amazon hdr and 4k, can do Netflix, YouTube, iplayer, itv (but why?), Nowtv, uktvplay etc. 

Google the model number and make sure its true hdr (mine isn't ?) and check the refresh rate, I think 5ms or under is what you're after, then put your consoles on an av channel set to game mode to reduce lag 

Didn’t get it in the end, in John Lewis it looked a tad disappointing but it was sat next to a Samsung OLED 55” which my OH decided we needed that one, going to wait for the jan sales see if I can get it a bit cheaper as wasn’t going to spend £900 on a tv, I did that back in the Xbox 360 days and won’t be doing that again as the tech trickles down.

• 1 month later...

Not a lot I can do for the time being. The wooden cabinets behind are where the electric meter is so I need to be able to move the whole stand out so they can get in. Everything’s temporary at the moment until after I get the walls replastered and decorated.

• 5 months later...

I really don’t want both tbh, but again there’s games on both, so will probably end up with both, luckily I have an Xbox one s which can upscale so hoping to see a difference with that first.

This is what I went for:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/samsung-ue55tu8500.html

Game mode, 3 HDMI and the fact it sits on my existing stand, that was crucial as the stands cost more than the tv’s these days!

Looking good @Manicm! My mum has basically that same model but 40 or 43” I forget which. Looks really good, upscale as Hd images nicely and HDR & Dolby Vision both look great. 

One S has a 4K Blu ray player does it not? I’d get at least 1 Blu ray just to really see the difference. If you like Marvel, Thor Ragnarok, Avengers infinity War or Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are incredible showcases.

Dolby Vision films through Apple TV function look great too, but the Blu Rays definitely have a edge. 

• 4 months later...

As the PS5 release date draws near, I gave this TV link (I think Blakey shared it?) another look. I was considering going for another Sony Bravia, at first. As that was the previous TV I had, back in 2016. But from the link, I think I'll go for one of the Samsung TU8000's.

1. Because I don't want an enormous screen. Even 43'' seems big, but that is the smallest now apparently.

2. I will never spend four figures on a TV. Not worth that level of investment in my eyes. £300-500 is about the ballpark I would equate a TV too.

I'll wait a little while longer though. I have decorating to finish first. By which point I'll have a better idea where my TV & PS5 is even going to go?

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/10/2020 at 21:45, OCH said:

Even 43'' seems big,

TV1.jpg

Turns out... IT IS?

Not having a TV for a good few years, I thought to place it on the biggest flat surface I've got. This is attempt number one. As my shelf isn't big enough. The only other option I have is a north facing window sill. Looks like it is going there for now...